Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 609

Thread: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overturn

  1. #161
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Who's stopping two men from loving each other? Certainly not me. But don't try to force me to call it a marriage, because it isn't one.
    You keep falling back to this same tired comment. And as has been pointed out to you before, no one is forcing you to call it anything. You can call it a perversion of nature for all we care, as long as the law calls it legally recognized.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #162
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-22-10 @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    111

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You keep falling back to this same tired comment. And as has been pointed out to you before, no one is forcing you to call it anything. You can call it a perversion of nature for all we care, as long as the law calls it legally recognized.
    Nobody is stopping two men from loving each other, or two women, or a cow and a pig for that matter. But when you start rewriting dictionaries and textbooks and lawbooks, then yes you are forcing society to recognize it and accept it. The human body is designed in a precise way. A poop chute shouldn't be treated like Playland At The Beach. God and religion have nothing to do with it. Just take a look at any medical textbook under sexually transmitted diseases.

  3. #163
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Nobody is stopping two men from loving each other, or two women, or a cow and a pig for that matter. But when you start rewriting dictionaries and textbooks and lawbooks, then yes you are forcing society to recognize it and accept it. The human body is designed in a precise way. A poop chute shouldn't be treated like Playland At The Beach. God and religion have nothing to do with it. Just take a look at any medical textbook under sexually transmitted diseases.
    Actually, the human body is not designed. It evolved. You need to learn how evolution works.

    Marriage is a great method to reduce the transmission of STDs.

    Why is it that people against gay marriage, or gays in the military, are always so fixated on anal sex? Can some one please answer that for me?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Nobody is stopping two men from loving each other, or two women, or a cow and a pig for that matter. But when you start rewriting dictionaries and textbooks and lawbooks, then yes you are forcing society to recognize it and accept it. The human body is designed in a precise way. A poop chute shouldn't be treated like Playland At The Beach. God and religion have nothing to do with it. Just take a look at any medical textbook under sexually transmitted diseases.
    God and religion have everything to do with it. Because without it, then we must recognize that what people do with their poop chute isn't any of your damned business and you have no right restricting their right to contract because of it. Societies and dictionary meanings of words change...often. That's why there isn't an infinitely stable language (or religion for that matter). Humankind continues to evolve, our knowledge, our technology, even our society keeps changing. Humanity gets nowhere through stagnation, it's slow death. Things used to be illegal that are now legal and vice-versa. So that historical argument doesn't cut it, especially when the historical argument is at odds with the rights and liberties of the individual. When we reach new areas where we can recognize the wrongs of the past, we can begin to address and fix those wrongs. You cannot continually infringe on right to contract because you don't like the color of the jib of those entering the contract. They are free to forge that contract as they wish, as is their right. Learn to mind your own business.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #165
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Nobody is stopping two men from loving each other, or two women, or a cow and a pig for that matter. But when you start rewriting dictionaries and textbooks and lawbooks, then yes you are forcing society to recognize it and accept it. The human body is designed in a precise way. A poop chute shouldn't be treated like Playland At The Beach. God and religion have nothing to do with it. Just take a look at any medical textbook under sexually transmitted diseases.
    Weak attempt to rationalize a personal prejudice. Marriage promotes monogamy. Monogamy reduces transmission. You're supporting a belief based on "reasoning" that directly contradicts it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, the human body is not designed. It evolved. You need to learn how evolution works.

    Marriage is a great method to reduce the transmission of STDs.

    Why is it that people against gay marriage, or gays in the military, are always so fixated on anal sex? Can some one please answer that for me?
    They also use the phrase "shoved down our throats" more often than is comfortable. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-19-10 at 06:09 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #166
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Yes, and Californian's voted to prevent gay marriage. What is going on now is a court battle saying "well, it's really not legal in the first place to ban gay marriage." They are trying to overturn a decision made by voters because those who wanted gay marriage didn't get their way. It's legislating from the bench and it will be a defeat for democracy and freedom if prop 8 gets overturned. People can support gay marriage, but what is going on in the court is truly shameful.
    Our Constitution was decided democratically. That is why we are a Constitutional Democracy, not a strict Democracy. The will of the majority has limits.

    Also, the Supreme Court is well within its power in judicial review.

    "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority..."

    I can agree that some cases go to far, but judicial review in and of itself is a responsibility of the Court.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  7. #167
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,714

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Counterpoint:
    YouTube - Proposition 8 Commercial
    Marriage without babies? The children couldn't possibly understand! They're too stupid and always will be!

    The Yes-on-8 ads make my ****ing stomach turn.
    lots of straight couples I know have been married yet never have children

    should we call the Spanish Inquisition?



  8. #168
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    lots of straight couples I know have been married yet never have children

    should we call the Spanish Inquisition?
    If you follow the "logic" of the anti-SSM folks, such couples should have their marriage annuled by force of government. That's exactly what they proposed of the ~18,000 same-sex marriages licenses that were issued in California.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #169
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, the human body is not designed. It evolved. You need to learn how evolution works.

    LOL Are you claiming homosexuality is part of evolution?

    Look its been proven that natural procreation is designed exclusively for heterosexual sex. Its not a disputable fact. Now if you wish to equate someone getting their jollies from another hole then you will need to provide something more to change how a society views marriage more than "they love each other"

    You can't keep blaming old people and religion forever.

    Can you explain why the far left is so financial about calling it marriage? Why can't civil unions work if the privileges are the same?

    Marriage is a great method to reduce the transmission of STDs.
    You keep saying this. What study are you citing? Wouldn't committed relationships be a better example?

    Why is it that people against gay marriage, or gays in the military, are always so fixated on anal sex? Can some one please answer that for me?
    Military is usually equated with men so male homosexual sex would naturally be the example. This really elludes you?
    Last edited by texmaster; 06-20-10 at 12:03 AM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #170
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    LOL Are you claiming homosexuality is part of evolution?
    Am I? Do you see me making that claim anywhere? Yes, there are mechanisms within evolution which could account for homosexuality, but could and did are two different things.

    Look its been proven that natural procreation is designed exclusively for heterosexual sex. Its not a disputable fact. Now if you wish to equate someone getting their jollies from another hole then you will need to provide something more to change how a society views marriage more than "they love each other"
    Actually, that is not proven at all. Design requires some one doing the designing. Evolution does not design anything. Learn about evolution before making wild "proven" claims that are not all all proven, or even accurate.

    And once again, we see the anti-GM crowd fixated on anal sex. Once again, I ask...can some one explain that fixation to me? It's not like it is the only type of sex gays engage in, or even the most common.

    You can't keep blaming old people and religion forever.
    I am not blaming any one for anything.

    Can you explain why the far left is so financial about calling it marriage? Why can't civil unions work if the privileges are the same?
    If the privileges are the same, then it is effectively marriage. Why are you so scared to call it would it would be then?



    You keep saying this. What study are you citing? Wouldn't committed relationships be a better example?
    Monogamous relationships. What is the best way to promote monogamy? Marriage.

    Military is usually equated with men so male homosexual sex would naturally be the example. This really elludes you?
    A significant portion of the military is women. This thread is about gay marriage not the military. Many gay men do not engage in anal sex. Your argument fails on three levels.

    Post edited because scrolling > me.
    Last edited by Redress; 06-20-10 at 12:21 AM.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •