Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 609

Thread: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overturn

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    All the research ... meaning one single dubious study about lesbians. Wow, the scientific evidence is underwhelming.
    Actually there are scores of research studies out there that prove you wrong, and not one that proves you right. I've posted MANY in the past... in fact 12 yesterday on another thread.

    Therefore, your point is negated.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Simply put, because my definition is the correct one.
    In your opinion. Folks like you keep forgetting that you have opinions, not facts.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So you're okay with whatever the democracy wants? That the majority should be free do legislate whatever it wants?

    So, if the voters wanted to execute everyone with the user name Digsbe, you'd be okay with that?
    Straw man argument.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #114
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Straw man argument.
    Perhaps so, but required to show that the belief in that whatever the majority says is correct is faulty is required. Disgbe has argued explictly that it is wrong to overturn what voters choose. Except that sometimes voters choose to enact very bad laws that are questionablly unconstutional. Just because the majority says A doesn't make A right.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Perhaps so, but required to show that the belief in that whatever the majority says is correct is faulty is required. Disgbe has argued explictly that it is wrong to overturn what voters choose. Except that sometimes voters choose to enact very bad laws that are questionablly unconstutional. Just because the majority says A doesn't make A right.
    I think there are several factors to consider in voter decisions, and the constitutionality of a decision is the most important when it comes to overturning it. Other than that reason, I am pretty much against overturning voter decisions, no matter how stupid and uninformed they may be. As long as they are constitutional, they should probably stand.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #116
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I think there are several factors to consider in voter decisions, and the constitutionality of a decision is the most important when it comes to overturning it. Other than that reason, I am pretty much against overturning voter decisions, no matter how stupid and uninformed they may be. As long as they are constitutional, they should probably stand.
    I don't disagree with you there, but the argument Disgbe gave was "majority = right."
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I don't disagree with you there, but the argument Disgbe gave was "majority = right."
    Well, we know that is not necessarily correct, The question is, does the statement "majority=constitutionality" apply.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #118
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    And straw man arguments are clearly your forte. Nobody is stopping gays from doing anything. The problem is in forcing everybody else to redefine marriage for their benefit. If they only way gays can be happy is by forcing me to accept their relationships, then that's just too bad. And yes I'm being forced, if we're redefining marriage, or giving marriage benefits/tax breaks to gay couples.
    False. Gays are stopped from marrying the person of their choice. In some states, gays are stopped from adopting or fostering.

    No one is trying to force you to do anything. We are trying to convince the courts to change the laws, but you are perfectly welcome to keep your opinions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #119
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They have no right to overturn prop 8. This would be a giant smack to the face of democracy. the people voted and prop 8 set marriage as a man and woman in California. How dare they do this, if it is overturned this would just be a disgrace to democracy and a defeat for the rights of voters.
    Welcome to America where we have this document called the Constitution. Californians can amend their state Constitution to throw out people of Asian descent if they'd like. That doesn't make it legal or defensible against the document our forefathers crafted for us.

    What you speak of is mob rule - not American-style democracy. Our forefathers were wise enough to create a document that defends the minority from the tyranny of the majority - or "the angry mob".

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Welcome to America where we have this document called the Constitution. Californians can amend their state Constitution to throw out people of Asian descent if they'd like. That doesn't make it legal or defensible against the document our forefathers crafted for us.

    What you speak of is mob rule - not American-style democracy. Our forefathers were wise enough to create a document that defends the minority from the tyranny of the majority - or "the angry mob".
    Yes, and Californian's voted to prevent gay marriage. What is going on now is a court battle saying "well, it's really not legal in the first place to ban gay marriage." They are trying to overturn a decision made by voters because those who wanted gay marriage didn't get their way. It's legislating from the bench and it will be a defeat for democracy and freedom if prop 8 gets overturned. People can support gay marriage, but what is going on in the court is truly shameful.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •