Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 119

Thread: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

  1. #11
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    I doubt the testing would be worth the cost savings. Any system that isn't trivial to bypass will likely be rather expensive.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients - Political Hotsheet - CBS News



    Normally I disagree with most things this guy does but I applaud this move.

    I like most forms of welfare and I believe they serve a necessary function for our society (even though they are going to need to be scaled back because of budgetary considerations, unfortunately), but there is no purpose in spending money where it does not produce any positive benefits for the individual getting the money or for society.
    Hopefully we won't limit our definition of "welfare" to TANF but also include Medicaid, Food stamps and Section 8.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Of course, I'm against this because I think weed is no more pernicious than alcohol. Don't think it would be right to deny someone unemployment just because they toked up the month before they got laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Treatment doesn't work unless you want to quit.
    Mandatory treatment's a waste of money.
    I can attest to that.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    Of course, I'm against this because I think weed is no more pernicious than alcohol. Don't think it would be right to deny someone unemployment just because they toked up the month before they got laid off.
    I'm all for legalization of all drugs with the exception of if you go to the state and say you can't pay for lifes necessities, you shouldn't be buying alcohol, weed, cigarettes, cigars etc.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #15
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You're right about the pot-smoking. Something I hadn't considered.

    That said, it does factor in that they would get treatment if they test positive.
    Oh no... not more treatment!

    Forced treatment doesn't work. It will be another waste of taxpayer money.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Treatment doesn't work unless you want to quit.
    Mandatory treatment's a waste of money.
    I guess I should have kept reading.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    I read the article several times but I couldnt find Hatch's plan to pay for said testing. Not that I disagree with the plan but you have to pay the piper you know.
    It MAY save enough money in the long run to cover the costs. Not sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm all for legalization of all drugs with the exception of if you go to the state and say you can't pay for lifes necessities, you shouldn't be buying alcohol, weed, cigarettes, cigars etc.
    I agree. Addictions can be expensive. If the person simply cut their costs down by kicking habits, they might be able to afford to support themselves without the government's help.

    I don't think I, as a taxpayer, should have to artificially prop people up and keep them from falling flat because they are incapable of making the right choices, and they know that "FOR TEH CHILDREN!" ideoglogies will not allow them to go without.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I agree. Addictions can be expensive. If the person simply cut their costs down by kicking habits, they might be able to afford to support themselves without the government's help.

    I don't think I, as a taxpayer, should have to artificially prop people up and keep them from falling flat because they are incapable of making the right choices, and they know that "FOR TEH CHILDREN!" ideoglogies will not allow them to go without.
    Chances are that, if a person is using drugs and can't afford to feed, cloth, house, his/her children.
    Those kids have practically no hope but to become exactly what their parents are.

    We aren't doing anyone any favors by enabling ****ty behavior.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #19
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm sympathetic to the idea behind these bills, but I don't really see how it will have the intended effect. If someone is a drug user who is so broke that they're on welfare, one of two things will happen:

    -They quit drugs and continue to get welfare payments, or
    -They keep using drugs and no longer get welfare payments

    Presumably people who are drug addicts and welfare recipients have already been in situations where they had fairly substantial incentives to quit using drugs. They failed in all those situations, so I don't know why this one would be any different. I would expect that the vast majority of drug users on welfare would fall into the latter group. Society might save a few bucks, but at the expense of putting a lot of people into desperate situations.
    Whether this helps them get of drugs or not doesn't change the fact that the taxpayer shouldn't be supporting them while they sit around and get stoned.

  10. #20
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    And what if they test dirty?
    Without assistance, they won't be able to take care of their kids.
    Are you going to take their kids away?
    Where would you put them all?

    If there's one thing our nation won't stand for, it's seeing American children going hungry, homeless, or deprived of necessities.
    And we shouldn't stand for it.
    This isn't Calcutta. We don't want to have to kick dirty, diseased beggar children out of our way when we walk down the street. The idea is obscene. We live in the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the world.

    Nevertheless, we don't have the apparatus in place to remove the children of the poor en masse, even if this were a desirable solution (which i don't believe it is). We don't have anywhere to put them or any way to take care of them.

    Besides, drug testing only ever really catches pot-smokers.
    Most other drugs are out of one's system within hours or days.
    Pot's the only one that stays with you for weeks, even over a month in some cases.
    It seems counterproductive to penalize recreational pot-smokers, while meth-heads, junkies, and coke fiends continue to receive federal or state aid.

    Is it your assumption that all poor people are addicts?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •