Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 119

Thread: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Why limit it to welfare recipients? Why not everyone who gets government money?

    Why not corporate CEOs who get bailouts? Students who get student loans and grants? People who actually work for the government, from those in the military on down to the clerk at the DMV?

    And how about people who get money from the government indirectly, such as through government services? Why not test everyone who wants to borrow a library book? Can't get your mail until you piss in a cup. If you use the highway, roadside test could become a common thing.

    Or maybe this is just another way for politicians to attack the most helpless among us without any real concern for consistency or logic? After all, these people never vote anyway.
    I think it more has to do with the logical consistency of making sure liquid assests are spent in a proper fashion. Welfare recipients are given a unique form of government assistance that relies on them to have it utilized correctly while facing significant temptations not to. There are, as your examples suggest, discrete forms of government aid that are given to different parts of society. However, only true "welfare" gives liquidity. Other forms of government help, by definition, can't be used to purchase drugs.

  2. #92
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,733

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients - Political Hotsheet - CBS News



    Normally I disagree with most things this guy does but I applaud this move.

    I like most forms of welfare and I believe they serve a necessary function for our society (even though they are going to need to be scaled back because of budgetary considerations, unfortunately), but there is no purpose in spending money where it does not produce any positive benefits for the individual getting the money or for society.
    Sorry, but I don't applaud this move. Has Hatch ever heard of the Fourth Amendment?

    But, if we are actually going to do this, then we should also include all the banksters, who took all the corporate welfare money the government doled out to them, on the taxpayer's dime. After all, they must have been on drugs to run their banks, not to mention our country, into the ground the way they did, so we at least have probable cause here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 06-20-10 at 02:36 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #93
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,029

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Sorry, but I don't applaud this move. Has Hatch ever heard of the Fourth Amendment?
    I don't see how to 4th amendment guards against something like this. Welfare is to be thought of as more of a benefit than a right. One which you can lose through your own actions. It should also be expanded to people who continue to have children after they've gone on welfare.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #94
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    People who actually work for the government, from those in the military on down to the clerk at the DMV?
    Uhhh.... Random drug testing is a part of the Military. I don't know how many times I was drug testing in the Army in my 4 years... probably at least 6-8.



    Or maybe this is just another way for politicians to attack the most helpless among us without any real concern for consistency or logic? After all, these people never vote anyway.
    Maybe the "helpless among us" should stop contributing to their own helpelessness.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Its a good idea. Nice work Senator Hatch.

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    I can agree with this. I say test them, however the drug addicts will either be sucking our money through welfare or through being in prison.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I can agree with this. I say test them, however the drug addicts will either be sucking our money through welfare or through being in prison.
    Oh well......I have no sympathy for people who ruin their lives with drugs. They made that choice.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So I have to support people who have made the decision to be worthless drug users for the sake of not allowing them to be homeless?
    Yes. And it's not you supporting them, it's everyone. It's not your money. It's not your bank account. Your taxes account for a minuscule percentage, so stop acting like it's draining your coffers. You pay taxes so I suggest you get over it. Not everything my taxes go towards I support, but paying taxes is not an option.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't understand. Why can't we let people take responsibility for their own actions. If their actions allow them to fall into homelessness, so ****ing be it.
    Because the welfare of society matters more than your selfishness. You may not care about an influx of homeless people and people dying in your rich country on the streets, but I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Explain to me again why a welfare recipient gets to sit on their ass doing drugs while I have to work hard to provide this for them?
    Do you know what addiction is and why it often is not a choice?

    Punishing people for a mistake they made in starting drug use is not focusing on the now. Maybe a lot of them want to quit but it's hard. Maybe rehab hasn't worked.

    I believe in helping people and not giving up on them. Sorry that your philosophy differs.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yes. And it's not you supporting them, it's everyone. It's not your money. It's not your bank account. Your taxes account for a minuscule percentage, so stop acting like it's draining your coffers. You pay taxes so I suggest you get over it. Not everything my taxes go towards I support, but paying taxes is not an option.



    Because the welfare of society matters more than your selfishness. You may not care about an influx of homeless people and people dying in your rich country on the streets, but I do.



    Do you know what addiction is and why it often is not a choice?

    Punishing people for a mistake they made in starting drug use is not focusing on the now. Maybe a lot of them want to quit but it's hard. Maybe rehab hasn't worked.

    I believe in helping people and not giving up on them. Sorry that your philosophy differs.
    Oh I see, so they were forced to take drugs.
    Gotcha.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Orrin Hatch Calls For Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Oh I see, so they were forced to take drugs.
    Gotcha.
    Oh I see, you are avoiding everything else in my post and honing in on the one thing you can try to be "right" with?

    Please address the other points in my post so I can actually give you a weighted reply, otherwise stop wasting my time.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •