Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

  1. #11
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    06-17-10 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    18

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Very fishy politics. Everybody gets one vote. It's fair, and it has always been fair. Any manipulation of that is an attempt to change the system one way or another, and changing a completely fair and free system is never good for ANY reason.

    Also this is NOT just ok because it's only a local election. This was under the instructions of a FEDERAL JUDGE. This isn't being done specifically under the instruction of the local politics. I would tend to agree that if they did this as a choice locally only it would be their decision. But this is the FEDERAL government doing this. Very dangerous to our freedoms.

    The libs can't seem to avoid bringing race into everything. The system was without racism before. NOW racism has been brought into it by the left.
    Last edited by Mcygee; 06-16-10 at 11:47 AM.

  2. #12
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    If this were about a state or federal race, I might join you in your high-pitched voice anger.

    It's about a municipality. They can set their elections how they like - as long as the individuals are all treated equally, which, in this case, they are.

    It's weird, I grant you. But it's hardly unconstitutional.
    I think most of the discomfort comes from the fact that this was hardly the municipality's decision.

    In 2006, the Justice Department sued the village under the Voting Rights Act, saying its system of electing six at-large board members denied the Latino population fair representation. A federal court judge agreed and ordered Port Chester to come up with a more equitable process.
    the village has spent more than $1 million on legal bills, and estimated it may spend an additional $300,000 to carry out the new process
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #13
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Update: One of the Latino candidates won a seat

    An unusual election in a New York City suburb, in which voters could cast six ballots for one candidate, apparently resulted Wednesday in the first Hispanic elected to the village Board of Trustees.

    Luis Marino, a school district maintenance director, was in fourth place among 13 candidates for six trustee positions in the final but unofficial vote count, said Aldo Vitagliano, a spokesman for the village of Port Chester.

    Marino, a Democrat, had 1,962 votes, well back of leader Bart Didden, an independent, who had 2,576. But Marino was well ahead of the seventh-place candidate, who had 1,272. Only 28 affidavit ballots remained to be counted, Vitagliano said.
    Hispanic apparent winner in unusual Hudson Valley election | recordonline.com

    I guess he had a lot of friends.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I think most of the discomfort comes from the fact that this was hardly the municipality's decision.
    I can feel that vibe. But I think it's clear that if the Council had maybe listened to the concerns of 46% of their citizens; it may not have ended up in Court.

    I still think it's bizarre decision: for instance, districting could have sovled the issue and not been so weird.

    The only point I'm making is that it doesn't appear to violate the Constitution.

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I can feel that vibe. But I think it's clear that if the Council had maybe listened to the concerns of 46% of their citizens; it may not have ended up in Court.
    What makes you say that they weren't listening to the concerns of latinos in the area? Even if we assume that not electing latino board members = "not listening to latino concerns," that 46% was entitled to run candidates and vote for them just like everyone else.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Update: One of the Latino candidates won a seat



    Hispanic apparent winner in unusual Hudson Valley election | recordonline.com

    I guess he had a lot of friends.
    Question for you, if you know.

    How does the previous system violate the voting rights act?
    What could be rationally drawn out of it to say that it does?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #17
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Question for you, if you know.

    How does the previous system violate the voting rights act?
    What could be rationally drawn out of it to say that it does?
    The Voting Rights Act is an incredibly sweeping piece of legislation that gives Congress extraordinary control over voting methods in all sorts of situations. Under Section 2, any election policy or procedure that discriminates against people based on race or color is invalid. More importantly, this applies whether or not the discrimination is intentional - Even if a district's policies are perfectly race-neutral and are not driving by any racial prejudice, the polices are automatically invalid so long as they have a discriminatory effect.

    In this case, even though the municipality did nothing to prevent minorities from being elected, the DoJ argued that because no Hispanics had been elected, the municipality had to change its policies to ensure that Hispanics won some seats.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #18
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcygee View Post
    Very fishy politics. Everybody gets one vote. It's fair, and it has always been fair. Any manipulation of that is an attempt to change the system one way or another, and changing a completely fair and free system is never good for ANY reason.

    Also this is NOT just ok because it's only a local election. This was under the instructions of a FEDERAL JUDGE. This isn't being done specifically under the instruction of the local politics. I would tend to agree that if they did this as a choice locally only it would be their decision. But this is the FEDERAL government doing this. Very dangerous to our freedoms.

    The libs can't seem to avoid bringing race into everything. The system was without racism before. NOW racism has been brought into it by the left.
    The judge was put in place by Bush and it was done under Bush's justice department. I'm not really understanding how this comes back to liberals...

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The Voting Rights Act is an incredibly sweeping piece of legislation that gives Congress extraordinary control over voting methods in all sorts of situations. Under Section 2, any election policy or procedure that discriminates against people based on race or color is invalid. More importantly, this applies whether or not the discrimination is intentional - Even if a district's policies are perfectly race-neutral and are not driving by any racial prejudice, the polices are automatically invalid so long as they have a discriminatory effect.

    In this case, even though the municipality did nothing to prevent minorities from being elected, the DoJ argued that because no Hispanics had been elected, the municipality had to change its policies to ensure that Hispanics won some seats.
    Geesh, what a bunch of crap.

    Thanks for the info.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    06-17-10 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    18

    Re: Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election(edited)

    I tried to find the specific judge. Please link me to where you got your information. Make a note that I'm not asking for proof of what you are saying. I'm not surprised in the least if he was appointed by a republican. Lets not mistake republican for conservative. The two are very different.

    I think most people would agree that the decision to unconsitutionally force a local election to change its rules, and doing so in order to get a minority in place who wasn't getting enough votes before is a very liberal move. Would you not agree? I'd have to see this judges history of ruling to decide if they were liberal, conservative, or moderate. I can tell by this ruling they almost certainly are not conservative. Perhaps I should say that his decision was very liberal.

    I did jump to conclusions based on limited information. Which I strive to NOT do. So I apologize for the rash response. It was more emotional than intellectual.
    Last edited by Mcygee; 06-17-10 at 04:13 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •