Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 450

Thread: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

  1. #281
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I think this point is sort of getting ignored throughout this discussion, which is a shame. Does anyone doubt that if these kids had asked the same question to Obama (or Biden/Reid/Pelosi/Clinton/etc.) they would have gotten a raised eyebrow, a smooth comment, and little more?

    Politicians are faced with **** like this all the time. The vast majority of them are experienced enough to deal with it in an entirely appropriate manner. For whatever reason, this guy reacted poorly. That simple.



    You really can't think of a reason why these two kids wouldn't want to identify themselves?

    If their names were known, their pictures would be on the front page of dailykos and huffpost as we speak. There would have been hundreds of people combing through every single detail of their lives, looking for things to use to smear or otherwise discredit them. For the rest of their lives, anyone googling their names would come up with a dozen pages full of people attacking them.

    What I don't understand are the people who are eager to put their name out there on controversial issues like this. To each their own.

    All good points. Sounds about right....


    .

  2. #282
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Paparazzi "mitigates", not two polite college boys. Sorry Hazlnut, you got it all wrong.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #283
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Paparazzi "mitigates", not two polite college boys. Sorry Hazlnut, you got it all wrong.
    I think it's equally dishonest to portray this as "two polite college boys."

    Something was clearly a-foot.

    I can see how someone might genuinely believe that they are exactly that, but honestly I'd think that person was pretty naive as well.

    These weren't just two college kids. There's not a chance in Hell of anyone convincing me of that until they come forward themselves. I imagine the press will find them sooner or later and we'll find out for sure, but right now there's not really any part of me that believes these were just polite college kids. This is an awfully contrived circumstance for "just a couple of college kids."

  4. #284
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I think it's equally dishonest to portray this as "two polite college boys."

    Something was clearly a-foot.

    I can see how someone might genuinely believe that they are exactly that, but honestly I'd think that person was pretty naive as well.

    These weren't just two college kids. There's not a chance in Hell of anyone convincing me of that until they come forward themselves. I imagine the press will find them sooner or later and we'll find out for sure, but right now there's not really any part of me that believes these were just polite college kids. This is an awfully contrived circumstance for "just a couple of college kids."
    Why? What's a-foot here? They have a project, they know congressmen work there, they wait outside of the building preferably after lunch and see who they can catch.... and unfortunately, they bump into Mr Grumpy roid rage. The paparazzi are not interested in congressmen and neither are journalists unless something is going down politically or there is some kind of personal scam going on in the life of an adult in the higher echelons of American political society.... otherwise what journalist will gain anything by pretending to be school kids and expecting to interview a congressmen and find out something "never told before" or anything they don't already know? Am i missing something here? Unless they provoked that reaction and edited the footage, i see nothing fishy here. Even if they where journalists in disguise, they where well mannered and did nothing to get the treatment they received. This is all mere speculation with no bases in real life.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #285
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    From what I can tell most journalist want credit for there work.
    Most journalists have paying employers that won't fire them if people complain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    In that case, I think hypcrisy is something else we can add to the list.
    How on earth is that hypocrisy?

    I have strong opinions on many things, which is why I come here to discuss them. I don't want my personal opinions to be forever linked to my name, which is why I use a pseudonym. Is that hypocritical?

    Many political officials refuse to be named in news articles, instead offering information on background. Is that hypocritical?

    Also, if they didn't want attention, I'd question why they ambushed a senator during broad daylight on a Washington DC street with three cameras rolling and then sent the video to a popular Internet site.

    No, they wanted attention... Just not on themselves. I think one would have to believe I was stupid to try to convince me otherwise.
    I'm not seeing anyone who's claiming that they didn't want to bring attention to what happened. As you note, they sent it to breitbart. The point is that it's perfectly normal to want to bring attention to a particular incident while not wanting to subject yourself to attacks from people who don't like the message.

    They most certainly did want attention - just in a way they controlled.
    Sort of in the same way that anonymous sources seek the exact same things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yes they are subjected to this all the time, however, you're under cutting the severity of said reaction... it was a "poor" reaction it was an illegal reaction. He literally assaulted the person depicted. Perhaps you saying "assault" is a simple reaction. Would you support misdemeanor assault charges against him were they to be brought forth?
    Towards the beginning of the thread, I noted that this was indeed a crime under the statutory definition. However, things like this happen all the time and rarely, if ever, lead to charges. Unless one of the kids wants to come forward and press charges, I don't see why there should be any further legal repercussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I think it's equally dishonest to portray this as "two polite college boys."

    Something was clearly a-foot.

    I can see how someone might genuinely believe that they are exactly that, but honestly I'd think that person was pretty naive as well.

    These weren't just two college kids. There's not a chance in Hell of anyone convincing me of that until they come forward themselves. I imagine the press will find them sooner or later and we'll find out for sure, but right now there's not really any part of me that believes these were just polite college kids. This is an awfully contrived circumstance for "just a couple of college kids."
    How is this so hard to believe? I've known plenty of college kids who have done things like this before, both liberal and conservative. College kids are blessed with huge amounts of free time, easy access to technology, unwarranted self-importance, and an unshakable conviction that their political predilections are absolutely correct. Even had they not said they were students, I would be surprised to find out they weren't.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    157

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    So I'm gonna pick up rev's question now because I want to see the answer from hazlnut: what would YOU, hazlnut, have done if rev did the same thing to you that Etheridge did to those kids? Would you be so flippant about dismissing it as a "hyuck hycuk hyuck...he sure showed me" situation?
    I think another good question would be, if this was a female student, would you be reacting the same way, too?

  7. #287
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Most journalists have paying employers that won't fire them if people complain..
    And your point is?

  8. #288
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And your point is?
    Most journalists would have no qualms about identifying themselves, because:

    1) Their job title would cause most Congressmen to be more friendly
    2) They're paid to ask questions
    3) If they refused to identify themselves, they could be fired
    4) If people got angry and started criticizing the journalists, it's unlikely they would lose their jobs.

    In contrast, the students have none of those same considerations:

    1) Their names will not make the Congressman any more friendly
    2) They're not being paid to do this
    3) There's no risk in not disclosing their names
    4) If people got angry and started criticizing the students, it's highly likely that it would negatively impact their job search/employment situation.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I think it's equally dishonest to portray this as "two polite college boys."

    Something was clearly a-foot.

    I can see how someone might genuinely believe that they are exactly that, but honestly I'd think that person was pretty naive as well.

    These weren't just two college kids. There's not a chance in Hell of anyone convincing me of that until they come forward themselves. I imagine the press will find them sooner or later and we'll find out for sure, but right now there's not really any part of me that believes these were just polite college kids. This is an awfully contrived circumstance for "just a couple of college kids."
    WTF are you talking about? They asked a simple question of a public servant on a public sidewalk, what exactly leads you to believe that they are anything but student/citizen journalists?

  10. #290
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    WTF are you talking about? They asked a simple question of a public servant on a public sidewalk, what exactly leads you to believe that they are anything but student/citizen journalists?
    Apparently only professional journalists can ask public officials questions.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •