Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's the point that people here have it hard, they don't by and large.

    If we have the money to house and feed morbidly obese people by calling them "disabled" we are not in a position to cry about how hard we have it.
    You should see some of the people at my heart failure clinic

  2. #72
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    I agree. I have been to India and lots of nations in Europea and Mexico. And I can say that Americans' are shocked at the poverty in Mexico they should go to India and see what really really poor people look like. I will never forget the ugliness of India such a chithole.
    I'd like to visit the place, even with the abject nastiness that many of their people have to live in.

    I'm not a "we are the world" type but at the same time, I hate the lame excuse of "we have it hard."
    That is absolute nonsense.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #73
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    You should see some of the people at my heart failure clinic
    I see them on my way to work, daily, with their meat curtains flapping as they ride their mobility scooter.

    There are some legitimate disabilities but being morbidly obese, ain't one of them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'd like to visit the place, even with the abject nastiness that many of their people have to live in.

    I'm not a "we are the world" type but at the same time, I hate the lame excuse of "we have it hard."
    That is absolute nonsense.
    Just be very careful in India and be prepared to be bothered whenever you go out of your car or hotel and walk around by beggers and people trying to sell stuff. Some of the sellers will get in the way of your car to prevent you from driving. And remember outside of the airport there will be many taxi drivers following you around wanting your service I even got pinched by one. If you do go I suggest you take tours with other tourists they seem to have it easier. Also remember don't let the water get in your mouth if you do you will have travellers diarreah for two to three weeks after you leave India. And you may or may not like to food I didnt like it.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    Just be very careful in India and be prepared to be bothered whenever you go out of your car or hotel and walk around by beggers and people trying to sell stuff. Some of the sellers will get in the way of your car to prevent you from driving. And remember outside of the airport there will be many taxi drivers following you around wanting your service I even got pinched by one. If you do go I suggest you take tours with other tourists they seem to have it easier. Also remember don't let the water get in your mouth if you do you will have travellers diarreah for two to three weeks after you leave India. And you may or may not like to food I didnt like it.
    Ouch!

    Did you mostly stay with in the major cities or did you travel to more remote areas?
    I'm more interested in the country side and less inhabited areas.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #76
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    That's not just an implication, that's a direct statement. You're free to characterize that as a failure, but given that there is only one nation with a higher median income, I think that's a bit ridiculous.
    here was the statement you took exception to:
    The US has vast riches but only 1% of the population gets much from them except to work their asses off for the barons of industry.
    Taking facts that are already well understood and putting them in a colorful graph doesn't affect whether the position asserted is more valid.
    actually, i was assembling facts and using them to show the position you criticize, that the wealth of our nation is not well distributed ... which is a valid argument you have been unable to refute

    Are you saying that a median household income of $50k is something to be ashamed of? Are you saying that we should be angry that 98% of people make less than $250k? What percent would make you happy?
    what that graph depicted was that the wealth of our nation is concentrated among 2% of our population
    which is what was being presented as a likely scenario for the distribution of wealth resulting from the natural mineral deposits found in afghanistan
    and my standard of success is not $50,000. what i would find a more legitmate international benchmark is the happiness index, where the residents of the country indicate their degree of satisfaction with their lives. note the descending order of responses to the following question:
    "All things considered, how satisfied are you with your life as a whole these days?"
    1. Puerto Rico
    2. Mexico
    3. Denmark
    4. Colombia
    5. Ireland
    6. Iceland
    7. N. Ireland
    8. Switzerland
    9. Netherlands
    10. Canada
    11. Austria
    12. El Salvador
    13. Venezuela
    14. Luxembourg
    15. U.S.
    16. Australia
    17. New Zealand
    18. Sweden
    19. Nigeria
    20. Norway
    21. Belgium
    22. Finland
    23. Singapore
    24. W. Germany
    25. France
    26. Argentina
    27. Vietnam
    28. Chile
    29. Indonesia
    30. Philippines
    31. Taiwan
    32. Brazil
    33. Spain
    34. Israel
    35. Italy
    36. Portugal
    37. E. Germany
    38. Slovenia
    39. Japan
    40. Czech Rep
    41. S. Africa
    42. Croatia
    43. Greece
    44. Peru
    45. China
    46. Morocco
    47. S. Korea
    48. Iran
    49. Poland
    50. Turkey
    51. Bosnia
    52. Uganda
    53. Algeria
    54. Bangladesh
    55. Egypt
    56. Kyrgyzstan
    57. Hungary
    58. Slovakia
    59. Jordan
    60. Estonia
    61. Serbia
    62. Tanzania
    63. Azerbaijan
    64. Montenegro
    65. India
    66. Lithuania
    67. Macedonia
    68. Pakistan
    69. Latvia
    70. Albania
    71. Bulgaria
    72. Belarus
    73. Georgia
    74. Romania
    75. Moldova
    76. Russia
    77. Armenia
    78. Ukraine
    79. Zimbabwe
    Happiest Countries in the World

    recognize that the USA is not prominent in that rating despite the annual income data you have trotted out to prove nothing
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #77
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here was the statement you took exception to:



    actually, i was assembling facts and using them to show the position you criticize, that the wealth of our nation is not well distributed ... which is a valid argument you have been unable to refute


    what that graph depicted was that the wealth of our nation is concentrated among 2% of our population
    which is what was being presented as a likely scenario for the distribution of wealth resulting from the natural mineral deposits found in afghanistan
    and my standard of success is not $50,000. what i would find a more legitmate international benchmark is the happiness index, where the residents of the country indicate their degree of satisfaction with their lives. note the descending order of responses to the following question:

    Happiest Countries in the World

    recognize that the USA is not prominent in that rating despite the annual income data you have trotted out to prove nothing
    There is a very good reason for wealth to not be equally distributed.

    People who generate wealth continue to do so over their life time by innovating and investing.
    On the other hand, people who do not generate wealth continue to invest in things that lose value and they do most of their life.

    The vast majority of wealthy people earned it through hard work and personal discipline, contrary to popular opinion.
    If you can't do the same, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #78
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    There is a very good reason for wealth to not be equally distributed.

    People who generate wealth continue to do so over their life time by innovating and investing.
    On the other hand, people who do not generate wealth continue to invest in things that lose value and they do most of their life.


    The vast majority of wealthy people earned it through hard work and personal discipline, contrary to popular opinion.
    If you can't do the same, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    i read that and laughed, because it underscores how little you know, both about me and about the subject of wealth accumulation (besides being totally off topic ... as is this reply)
    so, thanks for the laugh ... but it wasn't with you
    Last edited by justabubba; 06-15-10 at 03:59 PM.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #79
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here was the statement you took exception to:
    That statement was wrong then and it's wrong now. The author was clearly unaware of the median income figures, as demonstrated by his further statements on that.

    actually, i was assembling facts and using them to show the position you criticize, that the wealth of our nation is not well distributed ... which is a valid argument you have been unable to refute
    I don't particularly care whether income is distributed in a fashion that you personally think would be nice, as it's irrelevant to my point. If you want to have a discussion on optimal income distributions, start a thread on it and I'll join you there.

    what that graph depicted was that the wealth of our nation is concentrated among 2% of our population
    No, it actually didn't show anything of the sort. Setting aside the fact that you're confusing income and wealth, it showed absolutely nothing about the characteristics of that 2% other than that the threshold is approximately $250k.

    which is what was being presented as a likely scenario for the distribution of wealth resulting from the natural mineral deposits found in afghanistan
    So your argument is that the discovery of minerals in Afghanistan will lead to a wealth distribution resembling that of the US because....?

    and my standard of success is not $50,000. what i would find a more legitmate international benchmark is the happiness index, where the residents of the country indicate their degree of satisfaction with their lives. note the descending order of responses to the following question:
    recognize that the USA is not prominent in that rating despite the annual income data you have trotted out to prove nothing
    I truly don't give a **** about the "happiness index," nor do I give a **** about the result of a subjective opinion question posed to citizens of various countries. I'm sure I don't need to go through all the reasons why such a question is essentially useless for making country to country comparisons on any meaningful issue.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #80
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    That statement was wrong then and it's wrong now. The author was clearly unaware of the median income figures, as demonstrated by his further statements on that.



    I don't particularly care whether income is distributed in a fashion that you personally think would be nice, as it's irrelevant to my point. If you want to have a discussion on optimal income distributions, start a thread on it and I'll join you there.



    No, it actually didn't show anything of the sort. Setting aside the fact that you're confusing income and wealth, it showed absolutely nothing about the characteristics of that 2% other than that the threshold is approximately $250k.



    So your argument is that the discovery of minerals in Afghanistan will lead to a wealth distribution resembling that of the US because....?
    I truly don't give a **** about the "happiness index," nor do I give a **** about the result of a subjective opinion question posed to citizens of various countries. I'm sure I don't need to go through all the reasons why such a question is essentially useless for making country to country comparisons on any meaningful issue.
    sure you don't


    because you can't
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •