Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 90

Thread: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    ...which is why I cited median income, not average income.
    "A disadvantage of the median is the difficulty of handling it theoretically"

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Didn't read the thread, but has anyone pointed out that this was well-known since the Soviets occupied the country? Because this isn't news, it's an attempt by the Obama administration to justify the occupation of Afghanistan by presenting this old news as a new discovery.

    It's not.
    Another fact that is ignored is that they would have to destroy half of their mountains in order to retrieve the, so called, riches.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I had no idea that some of this was already known, which is fairly surprising (and depressing).

    Say what? Afghanistan has $1 trillion in untapped mineral resources? | FP Passport

    Markets shrug off Afghan minerals 'discovery' MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch

    FWIW, it sounds like the early surveys knew about the bulk of the more common minerals, but it was only the most recent ones that uncovered some of the newest stuff. Still, those were back in 07.
    Yes, this was reported by Rachael Maddow on her show last night.

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Are you saying that when I critisize my country I am whining? Conservatives love to wave the flag and talk about freedom of speech except when it conflicts with their beliefs then they call it whining.
    Someone doesn't know what Freedom of Speech is it appears.

    You have freedom of speech. You don't have freedom from criticism. If your speech is dumb people have the freedom to use their speech to say it as such. Freedom is a bitch, and your whining in the above post is no different than what you're accusing "Conservatives" are dong. They're exercising their freedom of speech and you're then complaining about it.

    Show me where you have freedom to speak your views without criticism. At that point I'll happily appologize for saying you're whining.

    BTW, the statistics quoted above are open to debate because there is no credible sources to back them up.
    At least he provided something. You've provided a sum total of zilch to back up your point other than emotional platitudes and things that have nothing to do with the quality of life of the country. The one thing you claim that could even remotely be related, the unemployment rate, is in and of itself a statistic which you just bitch about in the above post. And even in that case we're less than 2% points away from other countries ranked lower than us in quality of life such as England, Canada, and France who are all around 8% themselves. Not to mention while people have shown you a variety of more complete measurements such as median incomes and actual quality-of-life measurements and all you point to is a number that is but a small portion of the quality of life and well being of people in the country.

    Here's a wild idea for you. Actually present an argument rather than shouting out a baseless comment and then floundering about attempting to say "Nuh uh" when people throw out repeated things showing you're wrong while providing absolutely nothing of actual substance to support your opinion showing its made completely out of ignorance.

  5. #55
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    "A disadvantage of the median is the difficulty of handling it theoretically"
    I'm not sure where you're going with this.

    You claimed that success in America was limited to the top 1% while the rest struggled. I showed you evidence that 50% of American households earn more than $50k/year. There are no theoretical issues involved in understanding that.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #56
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm not sure where you're going with this.

    You claimed that success in America was limited to the top 1% while the rest struggled. I showed you evidence that 50% of American households earn more than $50k/year. There are no theoretical issues involved in understanding that.
    your implcation is that a $50,000 annual household income is an acceptable benchmark for "success"
    appears we disagree on that as a "success" indicator
    check out this graph and hopefully recognize the position you attempt to criticize is actually quite valid:
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm not sure where you're going with this.

    You claimed that success in America was limited to the top 1% while the rest struggled. I showed you evidence that 50% of American households earn more than $50k/year. There are no theoretical issues involved in understanding that.
    I was quoting from the article cited.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Someone doesn't know what Freedom of Speech is it appears.

    You have freedom of speech. You don't have freedom from criticism. If your speech is dumb people have the freedom to use their speech to say it as such. Freedom is a bitch, and your whining in the above post is no different than what you're accusing "Conservatives" are dong. They're exercising their freedom of speech and you're then complaining about it.

    Show me where you have freedom to speak your views without criticism. At that point I'll happily appologize for saying you're whining.



    At least he provided something. You've provided a sum total of zilch to back up your point other than emotional platitudes and things that have nothing to do with the quality of life of the country. The one thing you claim that could even remotely be related, the unemployment rate, is in and of itself a statistic which you just bitch about in the above post. And even in that case we're less than 2% points away from other countries ranked lower than us in quality of life such as England, Canada, and France who are all around 8% themselves. Not to mention while people have shown you a variety of more complete measurements such as median incomes and actual quality-of-life measurements and all you point to is a number that is but a small portion of the quality of life and well being of people in the country.

    Here's a wild idea for you. Actually present an argument rather than shouting out a baseless comment and then floundering about attempting to say "Nuh uh" when people throw out repeated things showing you're wrong while providing absolutely nothing of actual substance to support your opinion showing its made completely out of ignorance.
    I disagre with your viewpoint of me

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Are you saying that when I critisize my country I am whining? Conservatives love to wave the flag and talk about freedom of speech except when it conflicts with their beliefs then they call it whining.

    BTW, the statistics quoted above are open to debate because there is no credible sources to back them up.

    How can you say the country is in such great shape when the unemployment rate is so high and the gulf of mexico is being poisoned by a corporate entity?
    Compared to the rest of our world residents, everyone has here has power in their home, clean water in their home, general comfort and access to inexpensive food.

    Everyone who was born here should be thanking their lucky stars that they were because being born anywhere else is likely to bring with it mass poverty and a short life, comparatively.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Compared to the rest of our world residents, everyone has here has power in their home, clean water in their home, general comfort and access to inexpensive food.

    Everyone who was born here should be thanking their lucky stars that they were because being born anywhere else is likely to bring with it mass poverty and a short life, comparatively.
    Inexpensive food? When was the last time you were to a supermarket? ****ing cucumbers, 90 yents a cuke. ****ing onions $2.29 per pound and that's at walmart.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •