Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

  1. #41
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Are you saying that when I critisize my country I am whining? Conservatives love to wave the flag and talk about freedom of speech except when it conflicts with their beliefs then they call it whining.

    BTW, the statistics quoted above are open to debate because there is no credible sources to back them up.
    Median household income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of countries by household income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    How can you say the country is in such great shape when the unemployment rate is so high and the gulf of mexico is being poisoned by a corporate entity?
    Because one is not dispositive of the other.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    The treehuggers will find a way to make lithium an eveil, just like oil.

    Oh, wait, they already have! ****!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    I would not trust any statistics put out by the Census. I have only filled out one census report in my life and that was because they harassed me so much this year that I did not want them ****ing with me anymore. There are a lot of americans who feel the same way.

    Statistics and numbers can always be manipulated. Average incomes are an example. For example nine out of ten people can have an income of one thousand dollars per year and one could have an income of one million per year. The average income would be approx. 100,000 per year for the ten people.

    There are millions of americans who would love to have a job but can not find one. The average income doesn't mean squat to them.

  4. #44
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I would not trust any statistics put out by the Census. I have only filled out one census report in my life and that was because they harassed me so much this year that I did not want them ****ing with me anymore. There are a lot of americans who feel the same way.

    Statistics and numbers can always be manipulated. Average incomes are an example. For example nine out of ten people can have an income of one thousand dollars per year and one could have an income of one million per year. The average income would be approx. 100,000 per year for the ten people.

    There are millions of americans who would love to have a job but can not find one. The average income doesn't mean squat to them.
    ...which is why I cited median income, not average income.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #45
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well, our companies could try to bid.
    font emphasis added by bubba

    here is something you need to recognize
    we have no companies
    the companies may be registered to operate in the USA
    may even be based there
    but the company's vested interest is to its shareholders, and NOT to the nation is which it is able to conduct business
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #46
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Didn't read the thread, but has anyone pointed out that this was well-known since the Soviets occupied the country? Because this isn't news, it's an attempt by the Obama administration to justify the occupation of Afghanistan by presenting this old news as a new discovery.

    It's not.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  7. #47
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan - NYTimes.com



    Wow, that's just...awesome. This could be a path to stability and prosperity for a country that seemed to have no hope of either.
    Uh. Your story is off.

    The Soviet Union discovered and identified such sources. We just took their maps and refound what they first known about.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #48
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well, our companies could try to bid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    Bidding won't work when China gives cash to politicians who make the decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    font emphasis added by bubba

    here is something you need to recognize
    we have no companies
    the companies may be registered to operate in the USA
    may even be based there
    but the company's vested interest is to its shareholders, and NOT to the nation is which it is able to conduct business
    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Didn't read the thread, but has anyone pointed out that this was well-known since the Soviets occupied the country? Because this isn't news, it's an attempt by the Obama administration to justify the occupation of Afghanistan by presenting this old news as a new discovery.

    It's not.


    From the beginning

    US companies wont bid on mine projects in Afghanistan as it is still to risky a bet for shareholder equity. China is not as concerned about such risks as it can afford higher level loss's then comparable US companies.

    @ Grey Fox, Chinese companies bride governmental officials but they are not the only ones, when it comes to third world countries US ones do as well

    Khayembii Communique

    You are correct this was known a few years ago. The timing is suspect regarding the reannouncement

    China is the winner of this, not the US
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #49
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    You are correct this was known a few years ago. The timing is suspect regarding the reannouncement
    A few years ago? This has been known of since the 80's at least. There have even been books written and studies conducted on this in the 90's. This isn't news; the reason that these haven't been tapped to any real extent is because of the difficulty in transporting them from the extraction site to port for shipping.

    It's not simply "suspect" it's blatantly obvious why they're announcing it now.

    Huge obstacles seen in exploiting Afghan minerals

    By DEB RIECHMANN and ANNE FLAHERTY (AP) – 6 hours ago

    KABUL, Afghanistan — It could take years and possibly even a peace settlement for Afghanistan to reap profits from nearly $1 trillion in mineral resources that U.S. geologists say lie beneath its rugged terrain — some in areas currently controlled by Taliban insurgents or warlords.

    Geologists have known for decades that Afghanistan has vast mineral wealth, but a U.S. Department of Defense briefing this week put a startling price tag on the country's reserves of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and other prized minerals: at least $908 billion.

    AP Source
    Emphasis mine.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 06-15-10 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Added Article.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  10. #50
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

    I had no idea that some of this was already known, which is fairly surprising (and depressing).

    Say what? Afghanistan has $1 trillion in untapped mineral resources? | FP Passport

    Markets shrug off Afghan minerals 'discovery' MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch

    FWIW, it sounds like the early surveys knew about the bulk of the more common minerals, but it was only the most recent ones that uncovered some of the newest stuff. Still, those were back in 07.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •