Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 127

Thread: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

  1. #71
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    So then liberals do not support Palestinians over Israel?
    You still don't seem to understand the difference between a religion and a nation. You can hate the actions of a group of people without hating the entire religion they belong to or the entire nation they live in. I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but you're just giving another example of conservative absolutism.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Iceland elects a lesbian and then BAM, their economy implodes. Coincidence? I think not.
    I like that!!!

    Also the bit about the pre-emptive volcano eruption.

    I reckon the Almighty is punishing Louisiana, Texas and Alabama with the oil spill for their anti-GM stance. Makes sense.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #73
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,594

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The fact that the country has a state church isn't as important as the make up of that church and the devoutness of the citizens. From what sources I've seen, only 10% of the population attends church at least once per month. Now that may not necessarily reflect the devoutness, but it does give us a clue.
    It's important when the religious philosophy of the church can be influenced by the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I, too, spent time in Iceland, and noticed the rampant paganism. Fortunately Zeus doesn't seem to have that much of a problem with gay marriage, which is a good thing, because that dude can hurl lightning bolts.
    I think you were thinking of Woden/Odin, king of the Gods, or perhaps Thor, God of thunder. Not sure Zeus makes much of an impression, them Icelandics don't speak much Greek.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's important when the religious philosophy of the church can be influenced by the government.
    Or vice versa.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,199

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    What Iceland does, is Iceland's business, and not relevant to the USA unless it affects us directly.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Good going Iceland, and I wish we would get with the times.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Certainly it is a whole lot easier to get 320,000 people to get behind something than 1000 times that many. However, I would be interested in knowing the religious makeup if Iceland, both denominationally and in intensity. There is little question in the US that these factors DO affect support of lack of support for gay marriage.
    Captain the religion that is prominent in Iceland is Christianity. However their are many religions in the country
    * 80.7% members of the National Church of Iceland.
    * 6.2% members of unregistered religious organizations or with no specified religious affiliation.
    * 4.9% members of the Free Lutheran Churches of Reykjavík and Hafnarfjörður.
    * 2.8% not members of any religious group.
    * 2.5% members of the Roman Catholic Church, which has a Diocese of Reykjavík (see also Bishop of Reykjavík (Catholic)).
    Religion in Iceland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 06-13-10 at 02:01 PM.

  9. #79
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Why are people so arrogant they think they know more than people who actually LIVE in the state?
    Nothing arrogant about stating the facts of your state no matter how much you deny them.

    And what exactly are you basing this on?
    Um, if you don't know this you are beyond hope.

    And that has...what to do with this?
    Just how out of touch they are.

    Which DOESNT reflect how people vote. California has a system of initiatives and referendum that means we can over-ride our legislature and pass things ourselves if we want. I invite you to look at the history of these ballot initiatives and see the political bent they tend to take.
    What exactly are you smoking? I'll break it down for you. People vote for state legistlators. If the majority has been the majority for nearly 30 YEARS its pretty safe to say that California is a democrat dominated state. LOL

    You are the only person who thinks a one party 30 year dominance in state legistlature doesn't show a pattern

    Our incumbents have been re-elected, so what?
    Your excuses are getting more pathetic with every reply. The very fact they have dominated the state for almost 20 years tells you what you need to know.

    BTW, the one republican who left in 1991 was an incumbent. The difference was he was a republican.

    Seriously, you really want to continue this slaughter of your fantasy argument?


    Why look, here it comes again!

    In the 2008 elections, 52% of the voters in California voted for Barack Obama while 45% voted for McCain with about 3% going to third party candidates.
    Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives
    McCain was THE most liberal candidate for a Republican president in the last 30 years.

    Lets see how Bush did.

    2000: Gore 52 to Bush 40%

    2004: Kerry 54 to Bush 44%

    Whoops! Better look at those stats a little more carefully next time.

    Furthermore, Proposition 8 drew a slim 52% for Yes and 47% for No.

    http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/...v_complete.pdf

    These are two things that should have been LANDSLIDE issues in a supposedly liberal paradise like California.
    The sheer idiocy of taking one or two issues and pretending that shows the political leanings of your state is beyond reality.

    Who you send to Congress, (30 years one party)

    who you send to state government (20 Years one party)

    the percentages of registered voters 45% Democrat vs 31% Republican

    Who your state voted for president (22 years one party)

    Those are REAL FACTS of how your state votes and frankly you should be embarassed you are trying to pull this rediculus claim out of the water.

    It doesn't matter what people register as, it's HOW they vote that reveals an area's true political leanings. Also, California allows the Democrat and Republican parties to decide if they want "Decline To State" voters (AKA "Non-Partisan") to be allowed to cross-over to one party or the other during primaries, however that will change in 2011. Polisci 101, kid.

    California is NOT as liberal as people like to think it is, we're divided fairly evenly.
    I've shown you decades of dominance by democrats from the state to federal level and you still want to lie to everyone here and claim the state is balanced. Unbelievable.

    Your argument is equivalent to claiming that Obama sending 1000 troops to the border makes him a republican.
    Last edited by texmaster; 06-13-10 at 02:34 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Iceland passes gay marriage law in unanimous vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    You got a source for this generalization, or are you just venting some unfactual, anti-liberal sentiment?

    If the latter, then read and learn. I'm a liberal, and I think Israel is just swell. I think Palestine is swell, too. Rather than point fingers and kill each other, I think it would be just grand if they could live in peace. I imagine almost every liberal feels that way, and I hope conservatives do, too.
    There are threads here where many side with Plaestine and condemn Isreal most lean to the left

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •