Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81

Thread: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Because the costs that investors ALREADY expect them to incur have been factored into the stock price. So that $106 billion market cap is the amount BP is worth, which they could potentially use to pay ADDITIONAL expenses, above and beyond what's already expected. The highest estimate for the TOTAL cost of the spill that I've seen is $14 billion...and let's not forget that BP's liability from incidental expenses is capped.

    Your "poor BP" schtick is completely transparent. Either you work in the oil industry or you own stock in the company. Which is it?
    I work in the oilfield. How you come up with your, "poor BP", routine is beyond me, unless you can quote me as defending BP. Um, can you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    How is this scandalous?

    Why would BP be paying out profits to its shareholders when it still has a mess to clean up?

  3. #23
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    How is this scandalous?

    Why would BP be paying out profits to its shareholders when it still has a mess to clean up?
    Legal obligations, perhaps? I reckon the law comes and goes, as needed. eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #24
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I work in the oilfield.
    I ****ing knew it. You don't give a **** about who should be responsible, you just want to personally profit as much as possible. You are completely dishonest for not acknowledging your personal conflict of interest up front.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    How you come up with your, "poor BP", routine is beyond me, unless you can quote me as defending BP. Um, can you?
    Yep. Here you go:

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Libbos's hearts are so filled with hate and vengence, not to mention cover love for The Messiah, that they are willing to drive BP into bankruptcy and leave the rest of us with the bill.
    Translation: "I don't want BP's own incompetence to 'drive them into bankruptcy' because I have a nice job. I'd rather rant against the 'libbos' and 'The Messiah' for hurting poor wittle BP's profits, instead of ranting against BP for hurting the taxpayers."

    You're dishonest. I hope that you're the first one laid off as a result of this.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-11-10 at 11:37 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I ****ing knew it. You don't give a **** about who should be responsible, you just want to personally profit as much as possible. You are completely dishonest for not acknowledging your personal conflict of interest up front.
    Yeah! **** me in the ass for wanting to pay my bills! I should just go belly up and get on unemployment. Oh, wait, I'm self employed, I don't qualify for unemployment.



    Yep. Here you go:



    Translation: "I don't want BP's own incompetence to 'drive them into bankruptcy' because I have a nice job. I'd rather rant against the 'libbos' and 'The Messiah' for hurting poor wittle BP's profits, instead of ranting against BP for hurting the taxpayers."

    You're dishonest. I hope that you're the first one laid off as a result of this.
    Thank you for your compassion. I hope you remember this statement, when your tax dollars are going to pay for the downfall of the United States economy.

    So much for the Democrats looking out for the little man. Whatta joke!

    BTW, how do you know it was BP's incompetance that caused this blowout? And, why aren't you citing Halliburton as being the culprit anymore? Do you know what happened to cause this blowout? Hmmm?
    Last edited by apdst; 06-11-10 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #26
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah! **** me in the ass for wanting to pay my bills! I should just go belly up and get on unemployment. Oh, wait, I'm self employed, I don't qualify for unemployment.
    Then you should have just told the truth and said "I want BP to go on corporate welfare, because I want to be a taxpayer-supported welfare queen," instead of concocting a dishonest argument about how we need to support BP so they can pay us back, which is completely absurd. The fact that you didn't reveal your personal connection to BP up front makes it impossible to take anything else you have to say seriously. You were intentionally deceitful in your argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    BTW, how do you know it was BP's incompetance that caused this blowout?
    BP has essentially admitted as much. Besides, they have been responsible for far more safety violations than all other oil companies combined in the United States.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    And, why aren't you citing Halliburton as being the culprit anymore? Do you know what happened to cause this blowout? Hmmm?
    I never cited Halliburton as the culprit; you just have a reading comprehension problem. I said BP and/or Halliburton, which is true. Halliburton may or may not bear some responsibility too, but BP is certainly going to foot the lion's share of the bill. But anyway, I'm not going to get sucked into this discussion with you again. You've shown yourself to be a bald-faced liar in this thread, and as such, I'm not going to take anything else you have to say seriously.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-11-10 at 11:58 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #27
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I never cited Halliburton as the culprit; you just have a reading comprehension problem. I said BP and/or Halliburton, which is true. Halliburton may or may not bear some responsibility too, but BP is certainly going to foot the lion's share of the bill. But anyway, I'm not going to get sucked into this discussion with you again. You've shown yourself to be a bald-faced liar in this thread, and as such, I'm not going to take anything else you have to say seriously.
    Just want to throw out that that Halliburton will have no liability in this scenario. BP is responsible for the actions of their contractors working on the rig, so the liability would be with BP, even if a Halliburton contractor caused this.

    That is why you are seeing BP attempt to shift the focus to the manufacturer of the equipment, since they could be held liable. That is a losing argument for BP at this point however, and it seems clear that the manufacturer's potential liability would be capped at only the amount of oil on the platform when it sank, which is only a few million.

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Then you should have just told the truth and said "I want BP to go on corporate welfare, because I want to be a taxpayer-supported welfare queen," instead of concocting a dishonest argument about how we need to support BP so they can pay us back, which is completely absurd. The fact that you didn't reveal your personal connection to BP up front makes it impossible to take anything else you have to say seriously. You were intentionally deceitful in your argument.
    I'm not saying that BP should be on corporate welfare. Although, BP is just as too big to fail as any other outfit bailed out by the US government.

    As far as my, "personal connection", to BP, there is none. I do, however, have a personal connection to offshore drilling. What do you do for a living?



    BP has essentially admitted as much. Besides, they have been responsible for far more safety violations than all other oil companies combined in the United States.
    BP has more rigs than any other oil company in the world, so of course they're going to have more safety violations. Do you have a clue what rates as a, "violation"?



    I never cited Halliburton as the culprit; you just have a reading comprehension problem. I said BP and/or Halliburton, which is true. Halliburton may or may not bear some responsibility too, but BP is certainly going to foot the lion's share of the bill. But anyway, I'm not going to get sucked into this discussion with you again. You've shown yourself to be a bald-faced liar in this thread, and as such, I'm not going to take anything else you have to say seriously.
    You cited, "BP/Halliburton", in another thread. There was never an, "and/or". Either way, you had your mind made up that Halliburton was at fault. Brainwashed much? Why haven't you blamed Cooper-Cameron for the BOP failing? Not enough political capital in it for ya's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    How is this scandalous?

    Why would BP be paying out profits to its shareholders when it still has a mess to clean up?
    They have plenty of money to do both.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #30
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: BP Considering Suspension of Dividends

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They have plenty of money to do both.
    This comment has no basis in reality. You simply cannot make such a claim without knowing what the potential liabiity for the oil spill will be in terms of dollars.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •