Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 121

Thread: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

  1. #51
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    The mere fact that comparisons CAN be made *is* my point, my dear. The taliban are a fringe group, so are ****tard christians who also teach and practice hatred and violence.

    Nobody "wins".
    Equal comparisons cannot be made my dear. That is the point.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  2. #52
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Equal comparisons cannot be made my dear. That is the point.
    Equal is irrelevant. What is relevant is that there are ****tards who preach and practice hate and violence in both camps. And painting all with the same warped brush is a fruitless endeavor.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Equal is irrelevant. What is relevant is that there are ****tards who preach and practice hate and violence in both camps. And painting all with the same warped brush is a fruitless endeavor.
    But that's not true. Yeah there are groups with hate in any ideology, but I don't see such a thing as a Christian taliban or a Christian group hanging children on accusations of "spying." Honestly if anything, this mirrors militant atheism that was put into place by the USSR and the Chinese.
    Last edited by digsbe; 06-11-10 at 03:08 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #54
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Equal is irrelevant. What is relevant is that there are ****tards who preach and practice hate and violence in both camps. And painting all with the same warped brush is a fruitless endeavor.
    No its not irrevelant if you attempt to compare the two which you did.

    There are always finantics in every religion but for you to argue that and make a direct comparison to another religion and claim its a valid argument is inviting that assumption to be challenged.

    Which is was and thankfully for your sake you aren't pushing that comparison.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #55
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    But that's not true. Yeah there are groups with hate in any ideology...
    Then yes, it IS true. You just said so yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    No its not irrevelant if you attempt to compare the two which you did.
    Yes, it IS irrelevant. It's not my fault you keep misunderstanding the comparison even though I've explained it more than once. I can explain it for you, but I sure can't understand it for you.

    There are always finantics in every religion
    THAT is what I was pointing out. Thank you for trying to get it.

    but for you to argue that and make a direct comparison to another religion and claim its a valid argument is inviting that assumption to be challenged.
    You mean the "assumption" that there are fanatics in every religion that don't represent the religion as a whole? That "assumption" (read: FACT)?

    Which is was and thankfully for your sake you aren't pushing that comparison.
    For MY sake? No, not for "my sake" at all. What I didn't push was a strawman created by someone else, sweetie.

    Even though I'd be happy to go through all the atrocities committed by Christians and other religious fanatics through the ages. They are, however, out of the scope of this thread entirely irrelevant to the comparison I was making.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 06-11-10 at 03:21 PM.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    I admitted that there are groups with hate in any ideology, but most of them can not be compared to militant Islam or the taliban. Militant Islam and militant atheist are the top two in the tiers of death and evil hatred.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #57
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I admitted that there are groups with hate in any ideology, but most of them can not be compared to militant Islam or the taliban. Militant Islam and militant atheist are the top two in the tiers of death and evil hatred.
    "Militant" anybody is bad.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Equal comparisons cannot be made my dear. That is the point.
    Its not an comparison of equality, its a comparison regarding the method of ones argument.

    If you're goint to insult all muslim with flippant comments of "the religion of peace" or "those peace loving muslims" condemning the entire religion because of the acts of a few, then by logical reasoning you are stating that you can judge any group based on the most obscene actions of a minor population of said group.

    This would be like seeing a story about idiotic people at a Tea Party waving around "Obama = Black Hitler" signs and signs with "Impeach that N-Word" on them and someone going "There's not non-racist Tea Partiers".

    This would be like seeing a story about the westboro church jackasses, or about Catholic Priests screwing little boys, and going "Gotta love those moral christians!"

    This would be like seeing a story about a singular Israeli soldier using a person as a human shield, or hearing a single news report about a supposed wrong doing by a military squadren, and going "Yet more proof of how honorable and professional the Israeli/US military is".

    And on and on.

    Its not morally stating that hanging a 7 year old is equal to shouting obscinities at the family of dead soldiers at their funerals....its saying if you're going to judge all muslims based on the actions of a few then you can judge all other groups on the acts of a few on their side as well. Its going "These muslims hung a 7 year old cause they're barbarians so all muslims are barbarians...much like those christians protest funerals in an incredibly offensive way of deal soldiers like jackasses so all christians are jackasses. It is not going, which your moral equivolency would suggest, "These muslims are barbarians for doing this and therefore all muslims are barbarians...but Christians do bad things too so all christians are barbarians." That'd be putting them as equivilents in regards to morality, that's not what Riv's doing, Riv's simply using your alls theory and applying it to another group.

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    "Militant" anybody is bad.
    On this I will have to completely 100% agree with you.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    I could see Dobson and Falwell's conservative evangelical Protestantism in place of a more moderate but still religiously authoritarian Islamic code in many Muslim countries that enforce dress codes, have official religious instruction in schools, little tolerance for deviance, etc. I could see the extremists like Rushdoony and Phelps in place of the Taliban.
    Oh, they definitely could...if that was also the culture they were cultivated in as well.

    Extremists are extremists the world over, they are all very similar. The lengths in which they will go however I believe is far more societally bound then religiously bound most of the times. I think if you placed a Falwell that was living in the west his entire life into a situation where he'd essentially have his own government and land I'd dare say while it would likely be rather religiously authoratarian that he, and the people within that society, would not function at the same level as many of those in the middle east do simply because they'd have been brought up through modernized western society....something lacking in much of the middle east right now though its starting to move more towards that direction as the younger generations come in and technology allows information to flow all the more freely.

    I would not put a Falwell, if having been given his own country and chance for his "people" to settle there, in the here and now at the same end as I'd put the Iranian and other extremely strict Islamic locations. Instead I'd likely place what I'd imagine would happen somewhere in between what the U.S. is currently and where those type of countries are. I'd imagine it'd be rather authoratarian with strict theological laws, however I'd imagine it'd still hold onto democratic roots found within the west along with a more reasonable justice system in regards to the fairness of the trials and the TYPES of punishment though WHAT would be punished I think would get questionable but not as questionable.

    Mentality wise, in regards to their religious convictions, they may be similar. I think though that ignoring the societal impacts on both sides and how that'd influence it though is a fallacy. In a similar way, I believe if the Middle East had began greater westernization and a budding of hope for democratic freedom significantly 20 years ago and was successful I think the Middle East...and the muslim faith practiced there....would look amazingly different then it does today.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •