Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

  1. #31
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    [
    QUOTE=Cochise;1058799791

    or even more moderate right-wing Christians like James Dobson and Jerry Falwell leading authoritarian religious administrations. I mean, Falwell supported racial segregation before it was no longer trendy.
    [/QUOTE]
    Come on Cochise, do you REALLY believe this? I mean Jerry Falwell leading an authoritarian administration? Good grief. Senator Robert Byrd was affiliiated with the KKK, and the late Senator Strom Thurmond was a segregationalist and they are/were both Democrats...elected Senators in positions of authority. You're really going to use this argument ( a TV evangelists old beliefs which he no longer espouses) to equate Christian conservatives to Muslim fundamentalists? Give me a break.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 06-11-10 at 05:14 AM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #32
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Come on Cochise, do you REALLY believe this? I mean Jerry Falwell leading an authoritarian administration? Good grief. Senator Robert Byrd was affiliiated with the KKK, and the late Senator Strom Thurmond was a segregationalist and they are/were both Democrats...elected Senators in positions of authority. You're really going to use this argument ( a TV evangelists old beliefs which he no longer espouses) to equate Christian conservatives to Muslim fundamentalists? Give me a break.
    He no longer espouses them because he's dead. I'm not even talking about specific figures; I mean their ideologies in general. I could see Dobson and Falwell's conservative evangelical Protestantism in place of a more moderate but still religiously authoritarian Islamic code in many Muslim countries that enforce dress codes, have official religious instruction in schools, little tolerance for deviance, etc. I could see the extremists like Rushdoony and Phelps in place of the Taliban.

  3. #33
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    He no longer espouses them because he's dead. I'm not even talking about specific figures; I mean their ideologies in general. I could see Dobson and Falwell's conservative evangelical Protestantism in place of a more moderate but still religiously authoritarian Islamic code in many Muslim countries that enforce dress codes, have official religious instruction in schools, little tolerance for deviance, etc. I could see the extremists like Rushdoony and Phelps in place of the Taliban.
    He gave them up long before he died, but that's not the point. Can you see them hanging seven-year-olds, cutting off heads, ordering jihads, and abolishing freedom of religion?
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  4. #34
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Come on Cochise, do you REALLY believe this? I mean Jerry Falwell leading an authoritarian administration? Good grief. Senator Robert Byrd was affiliiated with the KKK, and the late Senator Strom Thurmond was a segregationalist and they are/were both Democrats...elected Senators in positions of authority. You're really going to use this argument ( a TV evangelists old beliefs which he no longer espouses) to equate Christian conservatives to Muslim fundamentalists? Give me a break.
    Considering Falwell blamed feminists, gays, and abortion doctors for 9/11 - I would put him only one step above a fundamentalist Muslim, yes. Especially considering he got rich doing it by getting duped people to pay to support his slovenly rich lifestyle.

    Quote: "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" (Thank God, he didn't)

    Quote: "The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country."

    James Dobson is clearly a Dominionist.

    American Evanglicals were rampant in Uganda supporting a bill that would potentially send homosexuals to their deaths.
    American Supports Ugandan Anti-Gay Bill | Religion Dispatches

    It's certainly not the same as (exception being the killing gays bill) Muslim fundamentalists, but it's right there in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by FilmFestGuy; 06-11-10 at 05:35 AM.

  5. #35
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    He gave them up long before he died, but that's not the point. Can you see them hanging seven-year-olds, cutting off heads, ordering jihads, and abolishing freedom of religion?
    I think he gave up talking about them because those beliefs were increasingly unpopular. Anyway, Reconstructionists are very clear that they'd be willing to do those things if they had the opportunity. Less extreme conservatives should logically be committed to that if they actually believed in the inerrancy/infallibility of the Bible, since it calls for those things. But as I said, I see the hardcore extremists along the lines of Rushdoony and Phelps in the place of parallel extreme fundamentalists and the more moderate conservatives like Dobson and Falwell in the place of the standard Islamic religious authorities, enforcing stricter dress codes and outlawing fornication, adultery, sodomy, etc., but handing out executions at a far reduced rate.

    Christianity was in that role, historically. Vatican City is technically still a absolute monarchy under the rule of the Pope, but he doesn't exercise that power in the context of Catholicism existing in far more liberal settings.
    Last edited by Cochise; 06-11-10 at 05:40 AM.

  6. #36
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Considering Falwell blamed feminists, gays, and abortion doctors for 9/11 - I would put him only one step above a fundamentalist Muslim, yes. Especially considering he got rich doing it by getting duped people to pay to support his slovenly rich lifestyle.

    Quote: "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" (Thank God, he didn't)

    Quote: "The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country."

    James Dobson is clearly a Dominionist.

    American Evanglicals were rampant in Uganda supporting a bill that would potentially send homosexuals to their deaths.
    American Supports Ugandan Anti-Gay Bill | Religion Dispatches

    It's certainly not the same as (exception being the killing gays bill) Muslim fundamentalists, but it's right there in the neighborhood.
    Well when you show me some evidence of Falwell or his congregation videotaping beheadings, hijacking commercial planes, blowing up Olympic villages, hanging children, bombing malls, hospitals, and train stations, dragging mutilated bodies through the streets or forcing women to cover their faces, I'll give your argument some merit. Until then, you're accomplishing nothing but expressing your own intolerance.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 06-11-10 at 05:42 AM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #37
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    I think he gave up talking about them because those beliefs were increasingly unpopular. Anyway, Reconstructionists are very clear that they'd be willing to do those things if they had the opportunity.
    Prove it.

    Less extreme conservatives should logically be committed to that if they actually believed in the inerrancy/infallibility of the Bible, since it calls for those things.
    Oh, now you are telling the "less extreme" Conservatives how they SHOULD interpret the Bible? How ironic. : According to whose logic, yours? LOL
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 06-11-10 at 05:48 AM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  8. #38
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Freaking barbarian religious nutjobs.

    I don't think the debate should be focusing on which religion is more violent or commits more atrocities, because when it comes to killing children, the murder of ONE child is one too many. You think Christians don't commit equally despicable crimes as the one in the OP? They do.

    Children accused of witchcraft tortured, killed - Washington Times

    The 9-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall. His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him - Mount Zion Lighthouse.

    A month later, he died.

    Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the Associated Press, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

    Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."
    Like I said. Freaking barbarian religious nutjobs the lot of them.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #39
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Freaking barbarian religious nutjobs.
    Yeah, they are!

    About time a solution of putting some of them in the government in Afghanistan is scrapped. It seems like an over attempt to pacify. Are even the so called moderate ones all that moderate...
    Last edited by Mell; 06-11-10 at 06:29 AM.

  10. #40
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Well, at least he got a fair trial.

    I wonder, did they waterboard him for info first? Probably was a tough little kid to crack... then again...
    ...Probably not, that's torture according to our lib friends. They'd never want to do anything to offend our sensibilities.

    Barbarian scum.

    .
    The Taliban and their ilk are totally disgusting. That is why wherever they manage to squeeze in once the population finds out what they are like they want shot of them.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •