Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 121

Thread: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

  1. #111
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Then you must not be living in the Real World.
    Taking the politically correct slant that Islam culture is just as good and that "some day", they'll grow out of their violent phase, is to gamble today on the hope of a tomorrow in the next century. Or the next. Or the one after that. We have to survive this one first.

    The bottom line is that WE have to judge NOW because if we don't, we may not have a TOMORROW.

  2. #112
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Christianity is peaceful now? I am not sure I would go that far and if it is? Then it is not really Christianity since it is not a religion that was built on peace. Maybe it should be re-named. lol
    Christianity itself is generally a belief based on the concept of grace and forgiveness. It was based in Judaism, but the Old Testament is more of a "primer" and historical text for the religion itself. If one truly practices Christianity, one is peaceful and loving. It doesn't imply that a Christian believes that nothing is a sin, and that anything goes, but it does imply that there is forgiveness.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #113
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well what about Joshuas conquest of Canaa? It was right or wrong, essentially whole-sale genocide of entire cities. Woman and children were destroyed too, I bet not even all the children were "wicked" or "evil" isn't all killing... killing? I mean if you're against abortion why was it right for Joshua to kill woman and children?
    This was pre-Christianity, and is irrelevant to the actual Christian beliefs.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #114
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    If it was not wrong nor evil why do so many modern Christians shy away from the OT and say you should ignore the OT and live by the NT? If it was just and right then why ignore it now??
    Because Christianity (the religion) is based on the teachings of Jesus, and not on the teachings of the OT.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #115
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    How is it a matter of viewpoint when the Bible explains how those who were to be judged and killed can escape their fate? The Old Testament has many passages that reveal God's heart for repentance of the wicked so that they might not die and be judged.


    Because many modern Christians are unwilling to defend truth and conform to the world.

    You can break out examples, but I could easily refute them when put into context and post verses that show the nature of God's heart and His Mercy from the Old Testament.
    So do you consider yourself an old school Christian? Do you live by the OT? What a way to insult your fellow brothers and sisters. So very Christian Like.

    Mercy? Your God is one mean and angry dude in the OT. He is an angry killer in the OT!!!!!!!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  6. #116
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post

    Mercy? Your God is one mean and angry dude in the OT. He is an angry killer in the OT!!!!!!!
    Perhaps this is one reason that some religions refer to God as "All" or "omnipotent". There was a time when God was not considered strictly good or strictly bad, but had a very powerful presence in all affairs human. Some people still do view God in this light. It's no inconceivable to me that if there is a God, he must strictly be good, but may in fact, encompass everything that exists, and that good and evil are merely human concepts. Just a thought.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well what about Joshuas conquest of Canaa? It was right or wrong, essentially whole-sale genocide of entire cities. Woman and children were destroyed too, I bet not even all the children were "wicked" or "evil" isn't all killing... killing? I mean if you're against abortion why was it right for Joshua to kill woman and children?
    The issue is that God promised in His Faithfulness to give the land of Canaan to the Hebrew people (Abraham's descendants). The Canaanites knew this, but they chose to ignore God and think that they could destroy Israel by their own power and keep their land. God commanded Israel to take in anyone who chose life and repented of their sin. Canaan was a wicked place filled with bloodshed and idolatry. God commanded that those people be destroyed completely down to their women and children. This was done so that the Hebrews may inherit all of the land that God had set apart for them. If a family or even a child repented and chose life, then they were to be spared and live. In the Bible it talks about the prostitute Rahab who helped Israel and feared God. She was spared along with her family. God was passing judgement on entire towns and entire races, they had the opportunity to chose life, but instead chose death. If the women and children we were killed chose to repent when the chance was given to them, they could live. The town and people knew that the command was given for their complete destruction. The death's of all were on the hands of the wicked who would not chose to repent. We know that in the mind of God that He does not want to have to judge sin and destroy the sinful as is evident in this scripture.
    Ezekiel 18:19-32
    19 "Yet you ask, 'Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?' Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. 20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

    21 "But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die. 22 None of the offenses he has committed will be remembered against him. Because of the righteous things he has done, he will live. 23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

    24 "But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die.

    25 "Yet you say, 'The way of the Lord is not just.' Hear, O house of Israel: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust? 26 If a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin, he will die for it; because of the sin he has committed he will die. 27 But if a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he has committed and does what is just and right, he will save his life. 28 Because he considers all the offenses he has committed and turns away from them, he will surely live; he will not die. 29 Yet the house of Israel says, 'The way of the Lord is not just.' Are my ways unjust, O house of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?

    30 "Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!
    God openly says that He would rather see people repent and live, and that it even pains Him to have to put to death the wicked. This scripture is also coming from the same Old Testament that many want to parade as evil and merciless.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #118
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Please name where in the New Testament Jesus directs his followers to rape little girls, discount any evidence except that from men, and then kill the rape victim?

    Did Jesus not save Mary Magdelene (assumed by tradition since its unclear if it was her) from the the crowd that was going to stone her for being a being a prostitute,saying "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

    He (who was without sin) did not then pick up a stone.

    You equate all religions as equally barbaric, but this is like comparing a teddy bear to a grizzly bear.

    One is loving. The other isn't.
    I personally think that Jesus not only saved Mary Magdelene but had sex with her and probably had kids with her.

    Religion is good in general but mankind has messed em all up and that includes ALL religions. I know some very peaceful Muslims and I know some really hate-filled X-tians. And Vice Versa.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #119
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Those questions are easy. The difficult questions are, can we defeat this evil? How?
    It's hard to say. Westerners have become fairly passive when it comes to addressing problems ,such as this one, head on. Christianity has pervaded Western culture to the extent that many of us have become afraid of confrontation and hypersensitive about comdemning anyone besides fellow Christians. (I'm not implying that all Westerners practice formal Christianity, but Christian thought has most definitely heavily influenced Western behaviors and attitudes. It's one of the reasons we have become passive imo,)
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #120
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Taliban hang 7-year-old boy accused of being a spy

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It's hard to say. Westerners have become fairly passive when it comes to addressing problems ,such as this one, head on. Christianity has pervaded Western culture to the extent that many of us have become afraid of confrontation and hypersensitive about comdemning anyone besides fellow Christians. (I'm not implying that all Westerners practice formal Christianity, but Christian thought has most definitely heavily influenced Western behaviors and attitudes. It's one of the reasons we have become passive imo,)
    That sounds about right.

    At the risk of being condemned for judging my fellow man, the Taliban is pure evil and must be confronted as such. Hanging a little boy is just one example of the outrageous actions they have taken.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •