Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 79

Thread: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

  1. #51
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Why not?
    It's good to be the king.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #52
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That doesn't address how large problems like this invite scumbags who try to take advantage of anyone and everyone.
    If that's the cost of people who were injured getting paid what they are owed by the scumbags at BP, then I'm ok with it. I think the problem of BP getting away without paying what they owe is a much larger one than the occasional opportunist trying to take advantage of BP if they are forced to pay.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    If that's the cost of people who were injured getting paid what they are owed by the scumbags at BP, then I'm ok with it. I think the problem of BP getting away without paying what they owe is a much larger one than the occasional opportunist trying to take advantage of BP if they are forced to pay.
    Well, this is how it works.

    The damaged will inflate their claims because they know BP is loaded, the undamaged will latch on to that as well, inflating the total cost.
    If I were you, I wouldn't be assigning some moral superiority to those affected.
    If they can take a short cut to get more than their due, they will.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #54
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Why not?
    Our government hasn't got jurisdiction there. It is BP who needs to be responsible for damages from their reckless disregard of safety. They simply shouldn't have been drilling in deep water if they haven't got the technology in place to plug a leak from their own deepwater drilling. The government didn't force them to drill in deep water by closing off shallow waters, the only thing that forced BP to drill there was their own greed. The need to accept the consequences.

  5. #55
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    If you've misplaced your principles so badly that you won't even rethink them when the trouble is in your own back yard, that's what makes you a fool. But I'm sure you're wrong about this, and were you actually faced with this situation in your own state, you'd reconsider your blind toeing of the party line. That doesn't make you a hypocrite, just a reasonable human being. Or maybe you really would stick with your party even when they put the knife in your back. Foolish indeed.
    So when someone says one thing for one group of people and something different for another, you consider that a sign of intelligence?

    Personally, I consider whether someone can offer a cogent response in an adult discussion.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If I were you, I wouldn't be assigning some moral superiority to those affected.
    If they can take a short cut to get more than their due, they will.
    Sorry to break it to you, but "those affected" are morally superior. They are innocent. BP is culpable. That's moral superiority in my book. Frankly, I don't care if a few unscrupulous types try to bilk BP out of more than they are owed. T.S. for the them. BP is not the victim here, BP is the perpetrator!

  7. #57
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Why not?



    .
    That would be like saying:

    The government raised my taxes, so therefore I could no longer afford to pay my rent. Given this, I robbed a bank, but the government is liable for my bank robbery because they raised my taxes.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So when someone says one thing for one group of people and something different for another, you consider that a sign of intelligence?

    Personally, I consider whether someone can offer a cogent response in an adult discussion.
    Let me try this one more time. I think that when someone can empathize with others, and put themselves in the shoes of another person and realize how a situation might make them feel, and act accordingly, that is a sign of wisdom. If you can only cling to misbegotten principles about some abstract "free market" without any regard to the human toll, then it is foolishness or worse. If these same misbegotten principles end up becoming your own undoing because you can't give them up even when you actually are the victim of them, then that's just poetic justice I suppose.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 06-16-10 at 01:07 AM.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    The government didn't force them to drill in deep water by closing off shallow waters, the only thing that forced BP to drill there was their own greed.
    Wrong, the government stopped issuing drilling leases for shallow water rigs. BP had to go deep water because of our government's policy.

  10. #60
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: BP eyes showdown with US govt on liability-BP source

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but "those affected" are morally superior. They are innocent. BP is culpable. That's moral superiority in my book. Frankly, I don't care if a few unscrupulous types try to bilk BP out of more than they are owed. T.S. for the them. BP is not the victim here, BP is the perpetrator!
    I have no problem with legitimate people who have been effected getting compsensated, however is illegitimate claims are being honored, then frankly, BP would be the victim in terms of those claims.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •