Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 324

Thread: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As what you state isn't factually true, it would be kind of a comphrehension issue. It doesn't show Israel in a poor light.
    Then why did Reuter's admit that it did? If the photos portrayed Israel in no different light, why retract the doctored photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    Yes, they apologized for it. Is that an admittance of guilt that they purposely cropped the photo to put Israel in a bad light? No.
    Actually, it is. You don't apologize for your innocence.

  2. #312
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post

    Those making excuses for them I suspect follow, and agree with that agenda.


    j-mac
    THose who continually demonize the Jewish state support anything that acts to demonize the Jewish statel, so lie about both their own intent and that of those who share it.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #313
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    Then why did Reuter's admit that it did? If the photos portrayed Israel in no different light, why retract the doctored photos?



    Actually, it is. You don't apologize for your innocence.
    They only admitted that they croped the picture, something they normally do. They never admitted to any bias, so don't pretend one thing is another.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #314
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow, there sure are a lot of apologists for Reuters in here dancing as hard as they can to excuse something that when caught Reuters itself didn't excuse from the Photog, and Editor. First off, straight from my wife whom is a Graphic artist, and has worked for a Tribune owned paper for going on 20 years, Cropping is in this day and age used primarily for taking out parts of a particular photo that are not relevant to the photos story it is telling, like excess sky, and or other things that will not change the pictures focus. Now you can say that the focus is on the solider, however the man standing off to the right holding the knife is of importance to the photo as well, and would have shown whom the attackers in the story were. Reuters, as I have shown before intentionally alters its photos, and has even allowed itself to be led around by the Hezbollah, Hamas thugs giving only one viewpoint to advance its own agenda.

    Those making excuses for them I suspect follow, and agree with that agenda.


    j-mac
    J, no one is dancing. The claim of bias is simply unproven. Your side is only being asked to do more than spout of claims, but to provide something that amounts to or at least looks like evidence. At no time would it be reasonable to believe anyone looking at the picture thought anything other than that he was injuried by those on the boat. His wounds are clear, as is the fact that he is surrounded. There is no evidence of anything that even smells of bias. And, no one has produced the article the pictures appeared in to suggest the written word accompaning the picutres said anything biased.

    Again, address the argument before you and don't drift off into strawman territory.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #315
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, no one is dancing. The claim of bias is simply unproven. Your side is only being asked to do more than spout of claims, but to provide something that amounts to or at least looks like evidence. At no time would it be reasonable to believe anyone looking at the picture thought anything other than that he was injuried by those on the boat. His wounds are clear, as is the fact that he is surrounded. There is no evidence of anything that even smells of bias. And, no one has produced the article the pictures appeared in to suggest the written word accompaning the picutres said anything biased.

    Again, address the argument before you and don't drift off into strawman territory.

    First off, that is just pure horse hockey. I gave you a specific example from a group that did a study of headlines out of Reuters that showed exactly that pattern.

    Second, That you chose to ignore this, and ignore anything other than the replies that fit your conclusions shows your own bias in this discussion.

    And lastly, We have had many discussions about media bias in our years of knowing each other here in the net, and the one thing that I have come to know about you Joe, is that in your mind there can be no bias in the media unless it disagrees with the liberal narrative. ie Fox.

    As I have shown you I don't come at this with out any knowledge at all, I have an expert living in the house with me. And trust me when I say that she is totally impartial, to the point that when shown the side by sides from pg 25 of this thread, she then told me that the cropping could have been done merely to make the soldier more the focus, without regard to the knife being held over him. So, although this particular pic may not be inconclusive proof in itself, it sure smells bad considering the trend that Reuters has in this particular story line between the Palestinians and Jews.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #316
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    First off, that is just pure horse hockey. I gave you a specific example from a group that did a study of headlines out of Reuters that showed exactly that pattern.

    Second, That you chose to ignore this, and ignore anything other than the replies that fit your conclusions shows your own bias in this discussion.

    And lastly, We have had many discussions about media bias in our years of knowing each other here in the net, and the one thing that I have come to know about you Joe, is that in your mind there can be no bias in the media unless it disagrees with the liberal narrative. ie Fox.

    As I have shown you I don't come at this with out any knowledge at all, I have an expert living in the house with me. And trust me when I say that she is totally impartial, to the point that when shown the side by sides from pg 25 of this thread, she then told me that the cropping could have been done merely to make the soldier more the focus, without regard to the knife being held over him. So, although this particular pic may not be inconclusive proof in itself, it sure smells bad considering the trend that Reuters has in this particular story line between the Palestinians and Jews.


    j-mac
    My expert opinion concurs with your experts opinion. Also I would like to add we do not know what the knife is doing where as we do know what the soldier is doing.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    First off, that is just pure horse hockey. I gave you a specific example from a group that did a study of headlines out of Reuters that showed exactly that pattern.

    Second, That you chose to ignore this, and ignore anything other than the replies that fit your conclusions shows your own bias in this discussion.

    And lastly, We have had many discussions about media bias in our years of knowing each other here in the net, and the one thing that I have come to know about you Joe, is that in your mind there can be no bias in the media unless it disagrees with the liberal narrative. ie Fox.

    As I have shown you I don't come at this with out any knowledge at all, I have an expert living in the house with me. And trust me when I say that she is totally impartial, to the point that when shown the side by sides from pg 25 of this thread, she then told me that the cropping could have been done merely to make the soldier more the focus, without regard to the knife being held over him. So, although this particular pic may not be inconclusive proof in itself, it sure smells bad considering the trend that Reuters has in this particular story line between the Palestinians and Jews.


    j-mac
    J. any idiot can call something a study. But a study that starts with an invalid supposition isn't valid. The study does not show bias. All the study you used showed was that the headlines did not fit in with the bias of the people doing the "study."

    That's important to realize.

    Second nothing has been ignored on my part. The study has been addressed. It simply doesn't do what you think it does. Only those holding a bias thinks it proves their point.

    And yes, we have had many discussions, but you still don't understand. Bias can only be proven by showing use of language (like radical liberals or Facist conservatives) or by repeated inaccuracies without consequences, like with Stephen Hayes, someone putting out misinformation and keeping his job. Until you have a study that tackles these things, you haven't presented one. YOu simply cannot show bias by opinion polls. You can't show bias by looking at use of think tanks. YOu can't show bias by voting habits. And you can't even have someone say there is bias, no matter who that someone is. You have to tackle language and inaccuracy.

    J, I state clearly, and always have, what constitutes evidence for me. I spell it out clearly and explain why.

    As for this case, you must show Reuters dilberately sought to create a false represntaiotn of what happened. So far, no one has done this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #318
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J. any idiot can call something a study. But a study that starts with an invalid supposition isn't valid. The study does not show bias. All the study you used showed was that the headlines did not fit in with the bias of the people doing the "study."

    That's important to realize.

    Ha! that's a real hoot Joe. You actually made me snort a little here. Look, I forget the person that said this but it is like the porn reference, I can't show you what bias is, but I sure know it when I see it.

    Your dismissal of the way that reuters manipulates headlines in order to show Israel as the aggressor and Palestine as the victim clearly demonstrates a bias in reporting that story.


    Second nothing has been ignored on my part. The study has been addressed. It simply doesn't do what you think it does. Only those holding a bias thinks it proves their point.
    No, the clearly articulated article showing headlines addressing the bias that exists is indeed ignored by you, and the parameters of determining bias shifts to ever increasing levels of proof rendering it impossible to have you acknowledge the clear bias.


    And yes, we have had many discussions, but you still don't understand. Bias can only be proven by showing use of language (like radical liberals or Facist conservatives) or by repeated inaccuracies without consequences, like with Stephen Hayes, someone putting out misinformation and keeping his job. Until you have a study that tackles these things, you haven't presented one. YOu simply cannot show bias by opinion polls. You can't show bias by looking at use of think tanks. YOu can't show bias by voting habits. And you can't even have someone say there is bias, no matter who that someone is. You have to tackle language and inaccuracy.

    Using your own levels of proof then please lay out for us how Stephen Hayes is biased in a journalistic standard (not opinion piece) and be sure and include for us the studies to back up your claim.


    J, I state clearly, and always have, what constitutes evidence for me. I spell it out clearly and explain why.
    No, I don't think you have.


    As for this case, you must show Reuters dilberately sought to create a false represntaiotn of what happened. So far, no one has done this.
    they did this through their cropping, and by employing it as they did, in this case, my opinion is that the removal of the knife was an omission of that fact. Although debatable, it is my contention that they admitted it themselves by changing the photo used, and firing the photog, and editor involved.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #319
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    That's you problem j. You miss your own bias in what you see. Many know that our bias can lead us to wrong conclusions. Those who don't understand this always fall back on they just know. But no one will ever win a debate with such silliness. You have to actually provide valid evidence.

    And j, what you call my own levels is a clear articulation of what needs to be provided to prove bias. So, you can't say I give it in one breath and don't in another. But I'll repeated for you one more time:

    And yes, we have had many discussions, but you still don't understand. Bias can only be proven by showing use of language (like radical liberals or Facist conservatives) or by repeated inaccuracies without consequences, like with Stephen Hayes, someone putting out misinformation and keeping his job. Until you have a study that tackles these things, you haven't presented one. You simply cannot show bias by opinion polls. You can't show bias by looking at use of think tanks. You can't show bias by voting habits. And you can't even have someone say there is bias, no matter who that someone is. You have to tackle language and inaccuracy.
    And for this picture, what did the cropping do? DO you really believe not seeing the knife meant the soldier hurt himself, fell down, or was injured by his own people? Seriously, the cropping alone proves nothing other than they picture was cropped. It says nothing at all about bias or motive. You have to provide evidence to move this forward.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    Then why did Reuter's admit that it did? If the photos portrayed Israel in no different light, why retract the doctored photos?
    Because their are people like you in this world where the smallest honest mistake turns into outrage over a nonexistent issue. They retracted the cropped photos because of people like YOU, who feel the urge to complain and create issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    Actually, it is. You don't apologize for your innocence.
    They apologized for cropping the photo. That is not the same thing as an admittance of journalistic bias, and it is petty and pathetic of you to suggest that they are equivalents. You have yet to provide an substantiation that Reuters knowingly and willingly cropped the photos to put Israel in a bad light.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •