Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 195 of 195

Thread: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

  1. #191
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Now, when I say politics, I'm not talking about POLICIES.
    Ah, you are correct in saying that I didn't get what you meant by personal decisions. But that's in no small part due to the fact that you brought it up as a rebuttal to a comment about a decision to move out of a state over that state's policies.

    I think people are missing a major factor in this situation. Visiting relatives who come here legally to visit could be at risk for incarceration, at least temporarily, since the would not be able to provide proof of legal residency. They could have this happen for something as simple as a traffic violation (it's legal to drive on a foreign DL while visiting the US).

    And I know the response will be that they should carry their passport with them at all times (since that is th eonly way they can prove they are hear legally), but that is not a good idea at all. While you do need identiifcation of some sort, your passport should be kept secure. You can get home without your ID, but not without your passport. And it's a bitch to get a replacement passport while travelling abroad.

    I would not want to risk that my family members from abroad would undergo such treatement while they come to visit me (which happens very often).I would choos eto move away from Illinois if they passed such laws, and I'm a born-citizen.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Ah, you are correct in saying that I didn't get what you meant by personal decisions. But that's in no small part due to the fact that you brought it up as a rebuttal to a comment about a decision to move out of a state over that state's policies.
    Yeah, but you were talking about them doing it to "take a stand", rather than because it affected them in any way. Now, if it's a situation like what you described in the rest of your post, then I'd perfectly understand why they'd want to leave.
    Last edited by Dav; 06-11-10 at 05:24 PM.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law - USATODAY.com

    Looks like the new law is having the desired effect. Now if they would just do the same (enforce our current laws) on a national scale, the problem would be solved. Good job Arizona.
    Just goes to show that the "we can't afford to buss them all out" argument is the deliboratly dishonest strawman we all knew it was.

  4. #194
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Yeah, but you were talking about them doing it to "take a stand", rather than because it affected them in any way. Now, if it's a situation like what you described in the rest of your post, then I'd perfectly understand why they'd want to leave.
    I consider moving for the reasons I mentioned taking a stand against the policy.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #195
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law - USATODAY.com

    Looks like the new law is having the desired effect. Now if they would just do the same (enforce our current laws) on a national scale, the problem would be solved. Good job Arizona.
    Well California is not to far away, I am sure California will welcome them with open arms. Perhaps Arizona should have free bus rides to the california state line.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •