Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 143

Thread: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

  1. #21
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,736

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    So what are you feeling guilty about?
    You may also notice I didn't say that either.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #22
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,284

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The customer is the consumer. We're not blameless in this energy situation, you know.
    The proposed tax has nothing to do with the energy situation, but rather its stated intent is to fund clean up efforts for future oil spills/leaks. That being the case, your point really has no bearing on either the OP or my post.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  3. #23
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I would agree to this on these conditions. 100% of the funds raised went to disaster preparedness and spill mitigation. Including funding and equipping the 1994 plan.
    I could agree with that. We are woefully unprepared for any sort of environmental disaster. I would add one more thing to your list though: More money so that the EPA can have better enforcement of its drilling regulations. This whole thing might have been averted if someone had made sure BP and/or Halliburton were in compliance with the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und
    This tax however should only be applied to barrels produced on the gulf.
    I disagree with you here. Keep in mind that the Exxon Valdez spill occurred off the coast of Alaska.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-08-10 at 08:20 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #24
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I think you are missing the point.... it is a stealthy tax of the citizens as it will be perceived as a tax only on the oil companies. Most people can't connect the dots.
    True, but that's OK. It's not like BP was just drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico for fun. They were drilling to sell it to us. So oil consumers SHOULD indirectly bear the cost of the spill, since they are indirectly responsible for it. These kind of accidents need to be factored into the price.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #25
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I would agree to this on these conditions. 100% of the funds raised went to disaster preparedness and spill mitigation. Including funding and equipping the 1994 plan.

    This tax however should only be applied to barrels produced on the gulf.

    None of this tax should be used for anything else.
    Right now you have had your laugh.

    You know as well as almost anyone else that monies set aside for one purpoise are always appropriated by the Democrats and (naturally on a temporary basis) borrowed for the general fund, they might feel generous and give this emergency fund a loan note (there you go, I made a funny).

    Well it might have been funny if it were not true.

  6. #26
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,284

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Right now you have had your laugh.

    You know as well as almost anyone else that monies set aside for one purpoise are always appropriated by the Democrats and (naturally on a temporary basis) borrowed for the general fund, they might feel generous and give this emergency fund a loan note (there you go, I made a funny).

    Well it might have been funny if it were not true.
    It's not just Democrats.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  7. #27
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    No.

    I don't trust our government to properly manage the current funds they get from current tax levels, so no way in HELL do I think this is a good idea.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,309

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Companies can not simply pass a tax along. The concept of incidence of tax is a fundamental concept of economics. Sometimes the taxes can be passed along 100%, sometimes the company eats 100% of the tax. Almost always the taxes are shared in same ratio reflective to the elasticity of the price of the underlying product. A tax can only be fully passed along when you have products with a high degree of price inelasticity, which so happens to be the case with gasoline.
    They may not be able to pass on the tax, but they can damn sure close their operations in the GOM and ship all those jobs overseas.

    So, what are the Dems doing to improve the economy again? They're either purposefully destroying the American economy, or they're just ****ing stupid. Which is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,309

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    True, but that's OK. It's not like BP was just drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico for fun. They were drilling to sell it to us. So oil consumers SHOULD indirectly bear the cost of the spill, since they are indirectly responsible for it. These kind of accidents need to be factored into the price.
    All the more reason that it make zero sense to shut down opeartions in the GOM. The oil and gas industry represents the government's largest source of non-tax revenue. You're right, one way, or another, we're going to pay for the spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    157

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I could agree with that. We are woefully unprepared for any sort of environmental disaster. I would add one more thing to your list though: More money so that the EPA can have better enforcement of its drilling regulations. This whole thing might have been averted if someone had made sure BP and/or Halliburton were in compliance with the law.
    Kandahar,

    I don't the problem is a lack of funding, rather, it's a lack of leadership and proper oversight. We have SEC employees surfing porn sites for hours on end, all on the taxpayers dime, and we wonder why they overlooked the impending financial collapse. I suspect the same kind of malfeasance and incompetence is endemic to all Federal bureaucracies.

    I disagree with you here. Keep in mind that the Exxon Valdez spill occurred off the coast of Alaska.
    I'm reticent to impose further taxes on energy consumption. Nations like England can afford high gas prices because their country is 1/5 the size of Texas. Our entire nation's economy is dependent upon cheap gas. We don't need more taxes, we just need better leadership and accountability.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •