Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 143

Thread: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

  1. #121
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I understand that oil is the best source of transportation energy, and the difficulty it would be to replace it. However, I think it could also be used more efficiently, with such things at better public transportation infrastructure in our country. Where alternative energy wouldn't be possible, I think we can find ways to utilize oil energy more efficiently.
    I have no problem with using oil more efficiently.
    To make that happen we are going to have to undue 50-60 years of pushing people to drive everywhere.
    Like somehow disabling the national interstate system.

    For what it's worth, Warren Buffet has aquired Sante Fe railroad and plans on putting most of the trucked dry goods on trains.
    That is a positive direction in efficient usage of oil.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #122
    User OmniRocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    11-17-11 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    45

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I believe that all of THEM are guilty of demagoguery , the Democrats, the Republicans, and most government officials. The politicians love the country divided because it takes the spotlight off of their corruption and unholy alliances.

    The Romans had their Games, we have our internet.
    Oof! A little too true for comfort. :/
    Certitude: n. The knowledge/confidence that you have not been sending nude/semi-nude pictures of yourself to random women on the internet.

  3. #123
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I have no problem with using oil more efficiently.
    To make that happen we are going to have to undue 50-60 years of pushing people to drive everywhere.
    Like somehow disabling the national interstate system.

    For what it's worth, Warren Buffet has aquired Sante Fe railroad and plans on putting most of the trucked dry goods on trains.
    That is a positive direction in efficient usage of oil.
    Exactly. In fact, I wouldn't mind a tax hike on oil products in order to pay for building the infrastructure to develop commercial railroads connecting rural and suburban areas with metropolitan areas.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Exactly. In fact, I wouldn't mind a tax hike on oil products in order to pay for building the infrastructure to develop commercial railroads connecting rural and suburban areas with metropolitan areas.
    By and large it already exists.
    Trucks would only be used to move goods from the train yard to the centers of commerce.

    The only things we can't ship through trains are live animals and veggies/fruits.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #125
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    By and large it already exists.
    Trucks would only be used to move goods from the train yard to the centers of commerce.

    The only things we can't ship through trains are live animals and veggies/fruits.
    Not in the Southeast, it doesn't...

  6. #126
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Not in the Southeast, it doesn't...
    I guess I'm skewed because of my area, freaking trains everywhere.
    I live in the south, in what used to be a big raw materials area that is covered with trains and tracks.
    To the point of gross annoyance.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #127
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,261

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I have no problem with using oil more efficiently.
    To make that happen we are going to have to undue 50-60 years of pushing people to drive everywhere.
    Like somehow disabling the national interstate system.

    For what it's worth, Warren Buffet has aquired Sante Fe railroad and plans on putting most of the trucked dry goods on trains.
    That is a positive direction in efficient usage of oil.
    Since when do trains get better fuel mileage than a truck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Since when do trains get better fuel mileage than a truck?
    Trains by and large pull more weight per gallon of fuel than a truck wish it could.
    You can load up to 4x as much goods inside a train car vs. a truck.

    Don't get mad at me though, Buffet is the one pushing that.
    Trucking is going to head in the direction of mostly short haul sooner or later.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #129
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Trains by and large pull more weight per gallon of fuel than a truck wish it could.
    You can load up to 4x as much goods inside a train car vs. a truck.

    Don't get mad at me though, Buffet is the one pushing that.
    Trucking is going to head in the direction of mostly short haul sooner or later.
    Your right except for a few things you may have not considered. One would be the infrastructure of the railroads, it gone and to expensive to bring back. Two would be yes rail is becoming more popular but it still takes up to four weeks to transport freight from one coast to another, in a truck four days. Trains are great for train loads but not LTL yet still needs trucks to go to door to door in most circumstances. I agree trains are on the rise again, I see everyday more and more trucking companies gearing themselves for train container work.

  10. #130
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Your right except for a few things you may have not considered. One would be the infrastructure of the railroads, it gone and to expensive to bring back. Two would be yes rail is becoming more popular but it still takes up to four weeks to transport freight from one coast to another, in a truck four days. Trains are great for train loads but not LTL yet still needs trucks to go to door to door in most circumstances. I agree trains are on the rise again, I see everyday more and more trucking companies gearing themselves for train container work.
    Well, we're not trying get rid of truck transport, but increase efficiency through the increased use of rail transport.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •