Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 143

Thread: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

  1. #91
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You need to concern yourself more with paying for healthcare, which will soon dwarf the wars like you won't believe.
    We were paying for it before reform. What we need is more reform and not less.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You need to concern yourself more with paying for healthcare, which will soon dwarf the wars like you won't believe.
    Gee, that's terrible. All people will have health care. That's really scary. Now, instead of them dying we will have to take care of them too. How dare Americans, who trust in God, to think such things.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Put simply, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.
    There is a good reason for that.

    Wealthy people keep doing the things that made them wealthy in the first place, while low income people keep spending their money on depreciating assets, effectively keep themselves poor.

    You shouldn't be surprised.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #94
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    You are grossly underestimating their liability concerning this disaster, which the world has never seen a worse one. It is going to become even more worse before it gets better.

    I have known a lot of wealthy people in my life and one thing I have observed is that the richer you are the greedier you become.
    That's not true, wealthy people by and large give more money to charities than anyone else.
    Are a lot of wealthy people frugal?
    You bet that's how the majority became wealthy in the first place.

    You don't get rich and stay rich, by spending all your money.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's not true, wealthy people by and large give more money to charities than anyone else.
    Are a lot of wealthy people frugal?
    You bet that's how the majority became wealthy in the first place.

    You don't get rich and stay rich, by spending all your money.
    Hell, let's just bring back the aristocracy.

  6. #96
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    There is a good reason for that.

    Wealthy people keep doing the things that made them wealthy in the first place, while low income people keep spending their money on depreciating assets, effectively keep themselves poor.

    You shouldn't be surprised.
    AHahahaahahahaahahahhaahha.

    Oh libertarians. I too once had such a simple view of the world. Then I got my first bicycle! Really? That's the reason? You don't think there are other social, political, or economic factors involved? It's just because poor people are dumber?
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-11-10 at 04:04 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    AHahahaahahahaahahahhaahha.

    Oh libertarians. I too once had such a simple view of the world. Then I got my first bicycle! Really? That's the reason? You don't think there are other social, political, or economic factors involved? It's just because poor people are dumber?
    "Poor" is a way of thinking not an income level.
    "Poor" people can make 1 million a year and end up with no money in savings, it's just not as likely to happen.
    Because you have to have some amount of fiscal understanding to make that much.

    But I'll let this little study answer the rest of your post.

    "* Income alone doesnt explain wealth disparities. Some of the lowest-earning households had managed to accumulate significant wealth.
    * In fact, income differences explain just 5% of the wealth dispersion the researchers found.
    * What the researchers called chance events -- inheritances, medical bills, marital status, number of children -- explained about 4% of the dispersion.
    * Investment choices explained about 8% of the variations.

    In other words, the vast majority of the differences in wealth had nothing to do with income, chance events or investment choices.
    "

    "What did explain most of the differences in wealth? Venti and Wise concluded it was this: How much the families chose to save. Those who made it a priority to save built wealth, regardless of their income level, individual circumstances or choice of investments."


    An easy, 3-step wealth score - MSN Money

    Oh noes! There goes the rational that poor people are just sad, hard luck cases.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 06-11-10 at 04:16 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #98
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post

    Wealthy people keep doing the things that made them wealthy in the first place,
    Yes, like investing in Congresspeople, and even presidents. That kind of investment costs a lot, but can pay some real dividends.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #99
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, like investing in Congresspeople, and even presidents. That kind of investment costs a lot, but can pay some real dividends.
    That is not even remotely true for the vast majority of people who are wealthy.
    This idea that someone, who has more than you, didn't earn it is a plague on humanity.
    Usually driven by some kind of underlying jealousy.

    Most people won't be wealthy because they don't have the patience and commitment to see it all the way through.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Democrats propose further tax hike on offshore oil

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That is not even remotely true for the vast majority of people who are wealthy.
    This idea that someone, who has more than you, didn't earn it is a plague on humanity.
    Usually driven by some kind of underlying jealousy.

    Most people won't be wealthy because they don't have the patience and commitment to see it all the way through.
    Yeah, especially people like Jesus of Nazareth.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •