Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

  1. #11
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrugem View Post
    Yes,, we've all seen the movie...



    It's brobobly not so interesting christians being killed by Islamic radicals..
    Darfur does not have much of a christian population. It is dominated by muslim and animists. South Sudan is the area of Sudan that has a large christian population, not darfur
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #12
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Not our country, not our problem and this just adds to the list of why the US should get out of the UN.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramat gan, Israel
    Last Seen
    06-20-10 @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Not our country, not our problem and this just adds to the list of why the US should get out of the UN.
    So as Israel and Palestine.. and still the wordd shoves its nose into it.

    and Lord:
    YouTube - Simon Deng -Arab enslavement and slaughter of black christian africans in Sudan

  4. #14
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrugem View Post
    So as Israel and Palestine.. and still the wordd shoves its nose into it.

    and Lord:
    YouTube - Simon Deng -Arab enslavement and slaughter of black christian africans in Sudan
    Yes in South Sudan, not Darfur. If you actually watch it shows the man speaking is from south Sudan not Darfur
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Wait, Darfur? The place liberals continually bitched about throughout the 2000's? I i figured that place just didn't exist after 2008 when Bush was no longer in office.


    In all serious, as I've said before in a thread of Right's, sadly there's no self interest present. The world in general, both the governments and the people, have no issue with "liberating" people. However, to do so and to bare the cost of doing such generally there has to be some kind of self interest tied to it. For the government it gives them a way to justify it to the people, and to themselves, as its always a risk to commit troops as nothing harms public opinion like dead troops. For people its simply short attention spans and instant gratification along with difficulty empathizing; unless there's a way to connect ourselves to them by some culturual or societal thing, or that there's some kind of compelling story that can extend a news cycle for multiple weeks, or it becomes a "trendy" thing to talk about caring about for an extend period of time most people sadly are just not going to have the focus great enough to care in a way that will cause anything to be done.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Apparently some people haven't gotten the Hope and Change memo.

    Obama, use photo op power!

  7. #17
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Well.. those "peacekeepers" doing just nothing.. the problem is that the world only concerned about the situasion there.. women and children being raped and killed by tortures and the world silente, aspesially the UN, so called all mighty..
    [/QUOTE]

    Well at present the mission consists of "As of December 2008, it has deployed 15,136 total uniformed personnel, including 12,194 troops, 175 military observers, 2,767 police officers, supported by 786 international civilian personnel, 1,405 local civilian staff and 266 United Nations Volunteers"1 Bear in mind that this is a region the size of France.Where do you propose the UN gets the extra troops/equipment from?

    1 African Union

  8. #18
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramat gan, Israel
    Last Seen
    06-20-10 @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    which are pretty much useless... the UNAMID is a joke.
    The thing is, if it's useless why the UN is not sending there forces? as they are so excited to send the ME.

    Lord - If you actially heard, they kidnapping Christian shildren and force them to convert into Islam, its a problem by itself, as it is connected to the war torn area.

  9. #19
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Wait, Darfur? The place liberals continually bitched about throughout the 2000's? I i figured that place just didn't exist after 2008 when Bush was no longer in office.


    In all serious, as I've said before in a thread of Right's, sadly there's no self interest present. The world in general, both the governments and the people, have no issue with "liberating" people. However, to do so and to bare the cost of doing such generally there has to be some kind of self interest tied to it. For the government it gives them a way to justify it to the people, and to themselves, as its always a risk to commit troops as nothing harms public opinion like dead troops. For people its simply short attention spans and instant gratification along with difficulty empathizing; unless there's a way to connect ourselves to them by some culturual or societal thing, or that there's some kind of compelling story that can extend a news cycle for multiple weeks, or it becomes a "trendy" thing to talk about caring about for an extend period of time most people sadly are just not going to have the focus great enough to care in a way that will cause anything to be done.
    I think you're mostly right, Zyph. There's no "what's in it for me" when it comes to poor African countries.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Darfur death toll rises to two-year high in Sudan

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I think you're mostly right, Zyph. There's no "what's in it for me" when it comes to poor African countries.
    For me at least, Africa would be an adventurer's paradise.
    I wish I could afford to go, even with the danger of some areas, it would totally be worth it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    Adam Shepard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •