Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges - Yahoo! News

    AP-3:30 am

    Two New Jersey men who allegedly intended to kill American troops were arrested Saturday at a New York City airport before boarding flights on their way to join a jihadist group in Somalia, a newspaper reported.

    Mohamed Hamoud Alessa, 20, and Carlos Eduardo Almonte, 26, were arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport before they could board separate flights to Egypt and then continue on to Somalia, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported. The newspaper cited officials familiar with the details of the arrests who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly.

    Alessa, of North Bergen, and Almonte, of Elmwood Park, were charged with conspiring to commit an act of international terrorism through al-Shabaab, a violent extremist group based in Somalia and connected to al-Qaida, the officials told the newspaper. Al-Shabaab was designated by the U.S. as a terrorist group in 2008.
    It's nice when the good guys win one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    It wasn't the Reverend and I, I can tell you that.

    Good for all law enforcement involved. Glad to see two potential murderers are now in custody.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #3
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,207

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Why were they arrested?
    From the article it seems like they were planning on killing soldiers, no?
    Release them to Turkey immediately.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #4
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Why were they arrested?
    From the article it seems like they were planning on killing soldiers, no?
    Release them to Turkey immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newark Star Ledger
    Alessa, of North Bergen, and Almonte, of Elmwood Park, were charged with conspiring to commit an act of international terrorism through al-Shabaab, a violent extremist group based in Somalia and connected to al-Qaida, the officials told the newspaper.
    ...
    Teams of state and federal law-enforcement agents who have been investigating Alessa and Almonte since 2006 took them into custody, the officials said.
    ...
    The arrests were made as part of an investigation known as Operation Arabian Knight. Authorities said an undercover NYPD officer had infiltrated the suspects' group of friends and was able to monitor their consumption of jihadist videos and literature, overseas travel preparations, and purchase of airline tickets.

    The two men had planned their trip Somalia for several months, saving thousands of dollars, undergoing tactical training and test runs at paintball fields to condition themselves physically, and acquiring equipment and clothing they could use when they joined al-Shabaab in Somalia, the officials said. Both had bragged about wanting to wage holy war against the United States both at home and internationally, investigators said.
    Why release them to Turkey? Turkey apparently is low on terrorist or their recruitment must be down? Maybe they need to organize a bake sale...
    Last edited by Ockham; 06-06-10 at 11:04 AM.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #5
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,687

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If anyone is being honest they would HAVE to admit that Obama (while carrying on MOST of the Bush practices) has done a GOOD JOB fighting terror. The fact is its going to get worse not better.

  6. #6
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    If anyone is being honest they would HAVE to admit that Obama (while carrying on MOST of the Bush practices) has done a GOOD JOB fighting terror. The fact is its going to get worse not better.
    To your point - I think it's because Obama's carried on Bush's practices ... however I do not like the way Obama and his administration continues to dismiss Islam radicalists by playing name / word games. Whether it's PC nonsense or it's their held belief that those who perpetrate these terrorist activities are not nor should they be identified in the same sentence as Islam I think hurts more than helps. But that's ideology and semantics. The actions speak louder than words and we as a Country are killing and catching would-be terrorists - though 1 got through --- Hassan, and 2 failed due to either chance or lack of training. So... results are mixed.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #7
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    To your point - I think it's because Obama's carried on Bush's practices ... however I do not like the way Obama and his administration continues to dismiss Islam radicalists by playing name / word games. Whether it's PC nonsense or it's their held belief that those who perpetrate these terrorist activities are not nor should they be identified in the same sentence as Islam I think hurts more than helps. But that's ideology and semantics. The actions speak louder than words and we as a Country are killing and catching would-be terrorists - though 1 got through --- Hassan, and 2 failed due to either chance or lack of training. So... results are mixed.
    No. We were told that under Bush there NO terrorist attacks after 9/11 (which, by the way, isn't true) and therefore he protected us. There have been (if you use the Bush definition) NO terrorist attacks (again, this is only saying if you believe there weren't any under Bush). Thus they are equal if you use those standards.

    Now, I maintain that there were terror attacks under Bush. The Anthrax killer (caught only after the attacks were halted). The DC Snipers.

    So, if you're going to count the Texas Army Base shooter, then the Anthrax killer and DC Snipers have to count for Bush.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    And they're Muslims, too. Surprise, surprise!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #9
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    To your point - I think it's because Obama's carried on Bush's practices ... however I do not like the way Obama and his administration continues to dismiss Islam radicalists by playing name / word games. Whether it's PC nonsense or it's their held belief that those who perpetrate these terrorist activities are not nor should they be identified in the same sentence as Islam I think hurts more than helps. But that's ideology and semantics. The actions speak louder than words and we as a Country are killing and catching would-be terrorists - though 1 got through --- Hassan, and 2 failed due to either chance or lack of training. So... results are mixed.
    Eh, I still don't consider Hasan to be a terrorist. He shot at soldiers. We're at war, when OUR forces shoot at Al-Qaeda fighters we call it... well, "war." Soldiers are a legitimate target, and while I hate it, that does also apply to our guys. Try to flip the scenario around. CIA operatives convince an Al-Qaeda fighter to turn on his comrades. He shoots up one of their training camps. Is he committing terrorism? Is the CIA committing terrorism?

    More on-topic, I agree. Whether we use the phrase "radical Islam" is entirely irrelevant. It's just a giant decoy for people to attack. What really matters is what we do, and in our anti-terrorism stance Obama has not substantially differed from Bush. (a subject of much irritation for me!) As I've often said on this board, I voted for Change and I got Bush III.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •