Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 134

Thread: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

  1. #111
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, as far as I'm concerned, both issues are equally problematic. In my experience, mot would agree with this. Might be a good idea for you to not make assumptions about that.
    Drugs and alcohol present an actual physical danger that is not present with sexting.

    Just another issue that teens who have trouble seeing the consequences of their behaviors dismiss. Fairly typical of the age.
    It's a stupid and pointless thing to do, and it often has negative consequences. And those negative consequences are increased with turning it from a stupid decision to a moral panic. Imagine some naive 13-year-old girl, in a moment of stupidity, took a picture of her private parts with her cell and sent them to a guy she liked. Imagine then that the asshole who received these pictures then sent it to all of his friends, who sent it to all of their friends, until the whole school was aware of these pictures. This is bad enough, and the result of her stupidity; something she should have been warned about, and should learn from. Now imagine that instead of pressing charges against the boy for distributing child pornography (which is exactly what it is), authorities instead turn their attention to the GIRL. Not only is she being called a whore by her school-aged peers, but her school suspends her, her parents ground her, and adults around her in general, instead of providing comfort from her asshole peers, seem to blame the whole thing on her and punish her even further. What would such a girl do? For the girl that this actually happened to, the answer was hanging herself: ‚€˜Sexting‚€™ bullying cited in teen girl‚€™s suicide - TODAY People

    And disgustingly enough, people are still blaming her death on sexting itself, as if it was justified to punish her for doing something whose only harm is that it is self-punishing.

  2. #112
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Frankly, this talk of "people under 18 being unable to make and handle mature decisions" makes me laugh.

    Most people OVER the age of 18 cant make or handle mature decisions, yet we dont endeavor to protect them from themselves lest we be accused of trying to institute a "nanny state." A rather "do as I say, not as I do" sort of situation.

    Maturity and ability to handle adult situations is dependent on the individual and less on the age. I've known 14 year olds that could handle decisions and situations that a 30 year old would have ducked away from and yeah that's probably the exception rather than the rule. But the point is there's no reason to try and insulate younger people from bad decisions and consequences or else they dont learn the severity of consequences for their adult lives.

    I'm all in favor of legislation that protects young people from being manipulated by skeezy old men....but there are some MASSIVE double standards. It's always "we must protect young women!" But no one seems real concerned about older women manipulating young men into sex. We also dont seem to consider it a problem worth legislation if a man manipulates a grown woman into sex. The moral of the story seems to be "You only matter until you hit 18." As a point of interest, AOC is California is 18 and enforcement is often spotty because parents use it to get rid of boyfriends they dont like, even with the +/- 3 years allowance.


    We have a lot of double standards and odd expectations about gender and sexuality. This is doubly frustrating as a man because you often end up on the short end. I've worked with children before and I loved the job, but I had to quit because I was tired of people looking at me funny and whispering behind my back asking my bosses if I looked at any of the children funny or had a record. Men around young women or girls are automatically treated as potential rapists.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Developmentally, our brains do not fully develop until we are in our early 20's. prior to that the parts of the brain that control impulsivity/decision-making, and emotions are still developing. This is why teens tend to do more risk taking behavior, and react more emotionally.impulsively, rather than rationally to things. Are there anecdotal stories that show that young people can handle certain situations? Sure. But overall, with research, including MRI brain scans, teens are less capable of managing adult-like scenarios than those whose brains have fully developed.
    It seems to me it is a situation of "use the muscle to strengthen the muscle". Kids that don't achieve some independence in their decision making are not going to develop the parts of the brain that control impulsivity/decision-making, and emotions. Once they are into college and holding a job is when this area really develops. Don't see why we couldn't start younger.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    And disgustingly enough, people are still blaming her death on sexting itself, as if it was justified to punish her for doing something whose only harm is that it is self-punishing.
    Should probably add to this. Sexting is not self-punishing, it just has potential to be used as ammo for OTHER assholes to punish you with. If we're going to crack down on anything which might make you a social reject, we ought to really crack down on nerdiness. Hell, I should be spending the rest of my life in jail.

    Anyways, there's not much you can do to stop it. If kids know the risk, and choose to take it, that's their business. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with a teen who knows that she is mature "sexting" with a boyfriend that she's sure she can trust. If he turns out to be an asshole, that's his fault entirely.


    EDIT: And if I had a nickel for every slutty picture of some classmate that has been posted on Facebook, I'd be a rich man. Yet nobody seems to really care about that kind of stuff around here. Maybe we're doing something right that the 13-year-old girl's town was not.
    Last edited by Dav; 06-07-10 at 06:32 PM.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There has to be a line somewhere. Yes, 18 is an arbitrary spot for it to be, but so would any other age of majority.
    Yet 17 year olds are old enough to join the military and die for their country.
    I suppose it takes less "maturity" to be trained with weapons so you can kill people while being shot at, than to look at a text-message image of a penis.

  6. #116
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    That has nothing to do with my point.
    Um, yes it does. I'm not necessarily behind the point that texmaster is trying to make because I think most of the kids involved with this are in their mid-to-late teens, and some are just months from legal adulthood, but I was showing how you can't infer the prescriptive from the descriptive. It was a criticism of the style of your argument, not the actual substance. The style was logically fallacious.

  7. #117
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    I married my 1st wife when we were 17 and 23. I don't find that to be offensive in the least. We were married for 13 years. We have two grown kids. I didn't have a phone that sent pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  8. #118
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You fail at statistics... just because a more conservative state has a higher teen pregnancy rate does not mean that it is the conservatives in those states which have the pregnant teens.

    And as for "the liberal states of New England tend to make up the predominance of the bottom 10", let's take a look at the actual bottom ten:

    41. Iowa
    42. Nebraska
    43. Massachusetts
    44. Wisconsin
    45. Utah
    46. North Dakota
    47. Minnesota
    48. Maine
    49. Vermont
    50. New Hampshire

    Bold = deep blue state, Underline = deep red state

    3 of 10 is hardly the "predominance". In fact, it's the same as the number of very conservative states on the list. According to Cook PVI, the bluest state - Vermont - and the reddest state - Utah - are both on the list. Maybe that ought to tell you something.

    And Jerry was at least right about his state, which is just above the top 10 at #40. But mostly, it looks like you can't determine things like teen pregnancy by the overall ideology of a state.
    Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are hardly "conservative" states. For that matter, New Hampshire is pretty middle of the road socially. Nebraska and Utah would be the solid red states. So, still more solid blue states in the bottom 10 vs. solid red states in the Top 10.

    And I never claimed that it's the perfect method for figuring out why teen pregnancies occur.

    But it's statistical in basis (whether you like the outcome or analysis); as opposed to Jerry's "theory" which is nothing more than an assumption with nothing to back it. He may be accurate about his state (and some conservative states in the West); but it doesn't really apply to the conservative states of the South. I've noted many times that this more than likely pairs up with poverty rates - as many of these same states also have some of the highest poverty rates; and frequently suffer in education as well. These likely also get to the fact that these states also line-up quite well with the states that have some of the highest divorce rates. (You'll note I'm going much more in depth here).
    List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Divorce Rate by state. Definition, graph and map.
    High School Graduation Rates in the United States | Table 2

    But that expands the question as to why do many so-called conservative states have high divorce rates, high teenage pregnancy rates, low graduation rates, and high poverty rates if these conservative states are supposed to be so good?

    Now - I realize that's really for a different thread - but I think that if Jerry wants to assert that conservative states are better for kids and that's why they have lower age of consent laws, how do these stat match up with his argument? I would like to have him back his assertion up with some facts. It's okay to have a theory; but you have to back it up.

    I at least have some numbers - like them or not.

  9. #119
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There has to be a line somewhere. Yes, 18 is an arbitrary spot for it to be, but so would any other age of majority.
    Yes, the line has to be drawn somewhere. If you draw the line, the distinction should be "She's one year underage, so we'll have a judge give the guy a mild reprimand for this incredibly petty crime." Not, "she's one year underage, so we'll have her father kidnap, sexually assault, and administer electroshock to the guy."
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-07-10 at 08:19 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #120
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Dad Accused of Using Stun Gun on Daughter's Friend Over Naked Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, I would STILL have a problem with it, but there would be no legal recourse in that case.
    Well anyone who sends pictures of their junk is a moronic douchebag, regardless of the respective ages of the parties involved. That doesn't mean it should be illegal, and it certainly doesn't justify a kidnapping and sexual assault.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •