Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

  1. #41
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,256

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    There is absolutely no mention of a tariff or anything resembling a tariff in his post.
    Then do your best to explain to me in detail how labor intensive manufacturing is to return to the US?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,355

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by OmniRocky View Post
    Maybe we should send out jobs to offshore drilling.
    Are we in the midst of doing just that. We will stop deep water drilling, those rigs and jobs will go to other places.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Then do your best to explain to me in detail how labor intensive manufacturing is to return to the US?
    I don't know what you are talking about since he said he would happily pay more for AMERICAN made materials if he could find them easily.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #44
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,256

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about since he said he would happily pay more for AMERICAN made materials if he could find them easily.
    Obviously you did not read Zyph's comment,
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin
    My issue is more with massively cheap labor in far poorer countries in sweatshop type experiences while we cripple our own manufacturing abilities through constant regulations and policies which is pushing businesses into going overseas because the difference is so vast that its not good business to even attempt to do it in America.

    My issue isn't with walmart, my issue is with the government. Walmart is simply reacting to what the government has caused.
    A basic error regarding "gains from exchange". If left to "the markets", most labor intensive production would shift overseas regardless. The only real means to "correct" -so to say- this imbalance would be via taxes and quotas. There is a reason the US is chosen as the top nation to do business in.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #45
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Obviously you did not read Zyph's comment,

    A basic error regarding "gains from exchange". If left to "the markets", most labor intensive production would shift overseas regardless. The only real means to "correct" -so to say- this imbalance would be via taxes and quotas. There is a reason the US is chosen as the top nation to do business in.
    He said he would gladly pay more for American made products, but foreign products are cheaper and more available. "Constant regulations and policies" does equate tariffs.

    The regulations and policies resulting in higher prices is in this country... tariffs only affect foreign goods.

    Obviously YOU did not read his comment.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #46
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,256

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    He said he would gladly pay more for American made products, but foreign products are cheaper and more available. "Constant regulations and policies" does equate tariffs.
    Nope! The reason labor intensive products would be cheaper essentially plays into relative standard of living differences. The cost of living in the US far outweighs that of indonesia, of which the prevailing wage is a said function of. The (short term) cost of implementing capital intensive centers of manufacturing in nations with sub standard human capital development is far greater than say in the US. Which is why manufacturing fluctuates; based on total factor-productivity.

    Therefore, labor intensive manufacturing will continue to mobilize to areas/nations who employ greater comparative advantages. The only way to reverse this trend is through the use of protectionist policy.

    The regulations and policies resulting in higher prices is in this country... tariffs only affect foreign goods.

    Obviously YOU did not read his comment.
    His comment did not take into consideration comparative advantage, thereby placing it in the "so what" category. Given tariffs increase the demand for domestic production, my comments are spot on.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #47
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Nope! The reason labor intensive products would be cheaper essentially plays into relative standard of living differences. The cost of living in the US far outweighs that of indonesia, of which the prevailing wage is a said function of. The (short term) cost of implementing capital intensive centers of manufacturing in nations with sub standard human capital development is far greater than say in the US. Which is why manufacturing fluctuates; based on total factor-productivity.

    Therefore, labor intensive manufacturing will continue to mobilize to areas/nations who employ greater comparative advantages. The only way to reverse this trend is through the use of protectionist policy.



    His comment did not take into consideration comparative advantage, thereby placing it in the "so what" category. Given tariffs increase the demand for domestic production, my comments are spot on.
    You've gone off on a tangent that doesn't address or even resemble the original comment by Zyph, so have fun playing with yourself.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #48
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,256

    Re: Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You've gone off on a tangent that doesn't address or even resemble the original comment by Zyph, so have fun playing with yourself.
    Off on a tangent? Is this your style; make faceless accusations and then run and hide when you get caught up arguing about something you know very little about?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •