Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 314

Thread: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

  1. #261
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Actually, acting on intelligence and intelligence sharing could very well have prevented 9/11. Ali Soufan resigned from the FBI after he found the CIA did not share such info with the FBI.
    What relevance does that have with what i was asking? lol
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #262
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    What relevance does that have with what i was asking?

    Coupled with what this thread is discussing... showing that torture is not effective now and wouldn't be effective prior to 9/11.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  3. #263
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Says the left and their useful idiots that have come out and said so. Others believe differently.

    Anybody respectable?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  4. #264
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    No offence but US intelligence services decided a terrorist boarded a plane......once it was 30,000 feet in the air. Remember, the Nigerian guy? There is clearly room for improvement. Just like prison/capital punishment/ war has its risks in regards to innocent people, reliable intelligence gathering can avoid this altogether or at least minimize the affects. A guy dying from torture shows clear excessive force by an agent so faults on him. And the US has enough intelligence agencies, soldiers and spy's to waste a bit of time....it certainly pays off, especially when we save thousands of lives. Could torture have prevented 9/11? Probably. That event was beyond dispicable.....many good American mothers and fathers, sons and daughters died that day.
    Didn't they get reliable intel from him without torturing?

    And they didn't need to torture anyone to prevent 9/11. Remember the findings on that. All they needed was for the different agencies to talk to each other.

    So, I'm unsure of your point.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Says the left and their useful idiots that have come out and said so. Others believe differently.


    j-mac
    No, says General Odieno. Unless you're calling him the left.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #266
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post

    Coupled with what this thread is discussing... showing that torture is not effective now and wouldn't be effective prior to 9/11.
    The fact that the CIA or FBI or whatever failed to share information does not show torture is ineffective.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #267
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The fact that the CIA or FBI or whatever failed to share information does not show torture is ineffective.
    My point was that this is another instance where there was a better alternative to torture... as always.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #268
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The fact that the CIA or FBI or whatever failed to share information does not show torture is ineffective.
    No, but that is all that was needed to prevent 9/11.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #269
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, but that is all that was needed to prevent 9/11.
    9/11 was a hypothetical question.
    They obviously infiltrated Al Qaeda some how or information was given to them by other sources, or a direct link which was happy to hand over information during an interview. In the case this terrorist, or whoever this source might have been, did not crack during an interview, and was refusing to hand over the intel to the CIA, you still wont advocate torture?
    Clearly stupid stances like this have prevented us foiling many past attacks on Western soil.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #270
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Former President George W. Bush: We waterboarded Khalid Sheik Mohammed,

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    My point was that this is another instance where there was a better alternative to torture... as always.
    What does CIA's/FBI's failure to share information have anything to do with torture being an affective method of gathering intel? It should be last resort, of course, but if you believe terrorists who are convinced are fighting allah's cause will hand over important intel willy nilly in many instances, you're wrong.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •