Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 174

Thread: Supreme Court: Suspects must invoke right to remain silent in interrogations

  1. #101
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    The problem in this case is that the defendant THOUGHT we WAS exercising his right -- he remained silent and refused to talk. The police refused to accept that and kept questioning him and he eventually broke down.

    I mean, if you're questioning someone and they refuse to say a word, isn't it obvious that they want to remain silent? Why do they have to say "I am remaining silent"?
    As stated. He could have been expressing his desire not to answer those specific questions.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    He should be held without interrogation until his attorney is present.

    This is the worst Court in my lifetime and I'm betting history will put this decision and the Citizens United decision up there with the Slaughterhouse Cases as some of the worst decisions in Court history.
    So you support self admitted murderers to get off on murder because of some BS loophole like this?

    So you support criminals and loopholes. You don't happen to be a defense attorney do you?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    If it were limited in scope, I would have no problem either. But it's broadness concerns me. The Roberts Court did the same thing with Citizens United in that they made the ruling SOOO broad that it's a complete alteration of the present state of being when it didn't need to be.

    Now I could easily see innocent people being badgered or tricked into confessions or things that sound like confessions and incriminating themselves simply because they didn't say the right words.
    Ummm... can you explain how innocent people are going to be tricked into a confession? Nobody wants a person to confess to a crime they really didn't commit. Nobody wants to convict and innocent person less than the police.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #104
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Supreme Court: Suspects must invoke right to remain silent in interrogations

    Moderator's Warning:
    Supreme Court: Suspects must invoke right to remain silent in interrogationsThreads merged
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court: Suspects must invoke right to remain silent in interrogations

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Has someone posted about this new ruling?

    Here is where the liberal judges on the Court and I disagree. I totally support the ruling in this case, which was decided by the righties and Anthony Kennedy. Sotomayor is apparently furious about it. Sorry, toots.



    Those who disagree with the ruling, can you tell me why it's a bad decision? This defendant voluntarily said something in response to a question.
    I don't see any problem with this ruling as long as the invocation of your right to remain silent also comes with the power to cease the interrogation by police at the moment you do it.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Supreme Court: Suspects must invoke right to remain silent in interrogations

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I don't see any problem with this ruling as long as the invocation of your right to remain silent also comes with the power to cease the interrogation by police at the moment you do it.
    Yes, it does.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #107
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    He didn't ask for a lawyer.
    Which means the police should have stopped interrogating him until he received one.

  8. #108
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    The best advice I got from my lawyer when I shot someone;

    "Keep your mouth shut and dont say anything"
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #109
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Which means the police should have stopped interrogating him until he received one.
    I am confused. If he didn't ask for a lawyer why should they have stopped interrogating him until he received one?

  10. #110
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Supreme Court Narrows Miranda Rights, Keeps Michigan Convict in Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Which means the police should have stopped interrogating him until he received one.
    Erm.. he doesn't GET one until he ASKS for one. He didn't ask for one, so one wasn't ever going to come.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •