Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 164

Thread: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

  1. #91
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    That is always a matter of opinion.
    It's a matter of facts. The United States, a supposedly free country, has more prisoners incarcerated then China. The US ranks number one while China is a distant second. If one truly lived in a free society then there wouldn't be as many prisoners as there are now.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Burning the flag is a sign of disprespect. If politicans are the reason for your ire, burn their pictures.
    Burning the flag is a sign of disrespect to the government that authorized its creation. The first Stars and Stripes was authorized by the Continental Congress then re-authorized under the Congress of the Confederation then under the United States Congress under the Constitution. In all three cases, it took the government three separate laws to authorize the creation of the flag. The flag is a symbol of the government and not the people. Just like the great seals used by the various branches are representative of those parts of the government and not the people.

  2. #92
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    But what would they get in return?
    I like the idea of getting something in return for my donation.
    Then it's not really charity.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #93
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    But what would they get in return?
    I like the idea of getting something in return for my donation.
    You are correct. People like getting something physical out of a transaction and such gimmicks do often lead towards more giving. However, even with that little trick of psychology, I would still consider the magnet to be meaningless (personal perspective here, others attach meaning to things, as shown by this thread).

    Personally, I tend to just directly donate, which is what I do for the charities I support (mainly the united way).

  4. #94
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Lot's of talk of soldiers and flags... I have a question/scenario. Say a soldier's base got destroyed and they were in the middle of a battle. The soldier sees the US flag still waving above his base. He sees the enemy coming to take the flag down and burn it. The soldier bravely runs to his base, takes the flag and runs with it out of the camp. However, the enemies shoot and kill the solder, but his efforts still saved the flag. Is this soldier a hero and patriot?

    My take on this is that the soldier is a moron who values a piece of fabric more than his own life. The flag is a symbol, but that's all it is. A true patriot would serve his country by preserving his life and remaining a soldier, but supporting his/her family and being a good member of their community. A true patriot would be a loyal friend and respected citizen. This person in my opinion did something unpatriotic. He/her put their life in danger for a piece of fabric. They valued that fabric and what it stands for more than their family and friends and more than their own life. Such actions may be seen as heroic to some, but in reality it's quite stupid, unpatriotic, and selfish.

    The flag and the US are not immune to criticism. In a nation that prides itself on free speech we should be allowed to burn flags.
    Sure we should.

    But stating this is a right, and supporting someones right to do so are two different things.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #95
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Lot's of talk of soldiers and flags... I have a question/scenario. Say a soldier's base got destroyed and they were in the middle of a battle. The soldier sees the US flag still waving above his base. He sees the enemy coming to take the flag down and burn it. The soldier bravely runs to his base, takes the flag and runs with it out of the camp. However, the enemies shoot and kill the solder, but his efforts still saved the flag. Is this soldier a hero and patriot?
    The soldier displayed bad judgement. The military can order another flag. Also, the flag has no strategic or tactical use.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    My take on this is that the soldier is a moron who values a piece of fabric more than his own life. The flag is a symbol, but that's all it is. A true patriot would serve his country by preserving his life and remaining a soldier, but supporting his/her family and being a good member of their community. A true patriot would be a loyal friend and respected citizen. This person in my opinion did something unpatriotic. He/her put their life in danger for a piece of fabric. They valued that fabric and what it stands for more than their family and friends and more than their own life. Such actions may be seen as heroic to some, but in reality it's quite stupid, unpatriotic, and selfish.

    The flag and the US are not immune to criticism. In a nation that prides itself on free speech we should be allowed to burn flags.
    I don't think is is unpatriotic or selfish, but rather a neutral action in that respect.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    You are correct. People like getting something physical out of a transaction and such gimmicks do often lead towards more giving. However, even with that little trick of psychology, I would still consider the magnet to be meaningless (personal perspective here, others attach meaning to things, as shown by this thread).

    Personally, I tend to just directly donate, which is what I do for the charities I support (mainly the united way).
    F the United Way.
    Weasling their way into every employer's office in the form of administration "encouraged" donation requests.

    I have to fill out a form, HAVE TO, with my name on it and a zero dollar amount for a donation every year.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Sure we should.

    But stating this is a right, and supporting someones right to do so are two different things.
    How are the different? If you accept something as a right but don't support it doesn't that mean you are oppressive of that right?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #98
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Lot's of talk of soldiers and flags... I have a question/scenario. Say a soldier's base got destroyed and they were in the middle of a battle. The soldier sees the US flag still waving above his base. He sees the enemy coming to take the flag down and burn it. The soldier bravely runs to his base, takes the flag and runs with it out of the camp. However, the enemies shoot and kill the solder, but his efforts still saved the flag. Is this soldier a hero and patriot?

    My take on this is that the soldier is a moron who values a piece of fabric more than his own life. The flag is a symbol, but that's all it is. A true patriot would serve his country by preserving his life and remaining a soldier, but supporting his/her family and being a good member of their community. A true patriot would be a loyal friend and respected citizen. This person in my opinion did something unpatriotic. He/her put their life in danger for a piece of fabric. They valued that fabric and what it stands for more than their family and friends and more than their own life. Such actions may be seen as heroic to some, but in reality it's quite stupid, unpatriotic, and selfish.

    The flag and the US are not immune to criticism. In a nation that prides itself on free speech we should be allowed to burn flags.
    He is a soldier, so by default he is a patriot and hero. Whether his actions where wise or not is impossible to determine for sure from the details you give in the scenario.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then it's not really charity.
    Of course it is. When you are WAYY over-paying for something because you know that proceeds (which there shall be plenty due to the much higher than reasonable price) will go to Charity.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #100
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Of course it is. When you are WAYY over-paying for something because you know that proceeds (which there shall be plenty due to the much higher than reasonable price) will go to Charity.
    So why not just give the overcost to a charity directly, where more of it will actually be used by the charity?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •