Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    The 5-mile March Against SB 1070, which began shortly before 10a.m. at Steele Indian School Park, had no reported arrests, but the afternoon's heat took a toll, with 20 people treated for heat-related illnesses, seven of them taken to area hospitals, public-safety officials said.
    An official crowd estimate was not available. Phoenix police declined to give an official tally, but officers overheard on the police scanner estimated the crowd at about 30,000. Uribe said the march drew about 100,000.
    Whether 30,000 or 100,000, this much is certain - This event has outdrawn the vast majority of political rallies, which run the political gamut from the Tea Partiers of today to the Bush Protests of yesteryear. Where is the mainstream media coverage of this rally?

    Discussion?

    Article is here
    .
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Amazing how the proillegals claimed Arizona's new allows police to just walk up to anyone and ask for ID and immigration papers but yet here they are in Arizona protesting Arizona's anti-illegal immigration law. It seems to me that even they do not believe that lie spread by proillegals,perhaps this is why the media didn't cover it that much. I am sure all those Arizonan businesses and the city of Phoenix enjoyed the revenue from all the protesters.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 05-31-10 at 11:52 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Most of the people in this rally were Arizonans, 30,000 to 100,000 people didnt just fly into Phoenix for this rally. Also there is more than "pro-illegal and anti-illegal" someone can be against illegal immigration or tough on illegal immigration while still bringing up issues with this law or the methods it employ or any other laws or methods to combat illegal immigration.

    For example I have problems with the law but I still don't support illegal immigration or think our laws regarding illegal immigration should be weaker or that we should do less to secure the border.

  4. #4
    Student Civil1z@tion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    12-10-10 @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    247

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Even the low estimate is higher than I would have suspected. Its good to see people taking an interest in state laws for once (even if the only reason is combat a, from my perspective, bad law). I hope that this can get some reconsideration of the law from the Arizona legislature, or at the very least help lead to voting out those who supported the law in the next election.

  5. #5
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,419
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Whether 30,000 or 100,000, this much is certain - This event has outdrawn the vast majority of political rallies, which run the political gamut from the Tea Partiers of today to the Bush Protests of yesteryear. Where is the mainstream media coverage of this rally?

    Discussion?

    Article is here
    .
    The vast majority of Americans like what Arizona has done.
    And Obama once again stepped in it calling the law misguided.

    Let them protest, it just pisses off the masses more.

    Why didn't the press cover it?
    Perhaps, as Obama propagandists they figured he's up to his eyeballs in the latrine (most all of his own doing) and doesn't need another load of crap dropped on his head.

    That said, it is their job to cover the news, not cover Obama's ass.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-01-10 at 09:42 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    I saw several news stories about this Arizona rally on CNN's Wolf Blitzer's Situation Room, along with Mike Sanchez before him. I didnt tune into MSNBC or Fox but I'm sure there was some mention of it.

    You know, I actually read the news in the Wall Street Journal and my local paper, along with watching it throughout the day. And I actually see all these stories which people claim the media never reports, I wonder where Zimmer and other people like him who deny the media covers things. Obviously one can't watch news 24/7 to see if someone is covered or see how often its covered, but it seems to me that most of you don't actually watch any news on TV and get most or all of it from the internet, which isn't a problem.

    But I wonder where you get the idea its not covered? Do you have some source which is a combination of all news schedules to track trends on which stories are covered and how often? Or do you just make it up?

  7. #7
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,419
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I saw several news stories about this Arizona rally on CNN's Wolf Blitzer's Situation Room, along with Mike Sanchez before him. I didnt tune into MSNBC or Fox but I'm sure there was some mention of it.

    You know, I actually read the news in the Wall Street Journal and my local paper, along with watching it throughout the day. And I actually see all these stories which people claim the media never reports, I wonder where Zimmer and other people like him who deny the media covers things. Obviously one can't watch news 24/7 to see if someone is covered or see how often its covered, but it seems to me that most of you don't actually watch any news on TV and get most or all of it from the internet, which isn't a problem.

    But I wonder where you get the idea its not covered? Do you have some source which is a combination of all news schedules to track trends on which stories are covered and how often? Or do you just make it up?
    I wasn't watching tube, only taking the OP's word for it, and surmising as to why it would be so.
    Stand corrected if it is otherwise.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-01-10 at 10:19 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #8
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Most of the people in this rally were Arizonans, 30,000 to 100,000 people didnt just fly into Phoenix for this rally. Also there is more than "pro-illegal and anti-illegal" someone can be against illegal immigration or tough on illegal immigration while still bringing up issues with this law or the methods it employ or any other laws or methods to combat illegal immigration.

    For example I have problems with the law but I still don't support illegal immigration or think our laws regarding illegal immigration should be weaker or that we should do less to secure the border.
    The only ones against the arizona law that practically mirroris federal law are illegals and pro-illegals. Those who are against illegal immigration actually read the law and know that in order to be asked by the police about your legal status you have to first be stopped for a staffic violation, DUI check or some othe legal police contact.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #9
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The vast majority of Americans like what Arizona has done.
    And Obama once again stepped in it calling the law misguided.

    Let them protest, it just pisses off the masses more.

    Why didn't the press cover it?
    Perhaps, as Obama propagandists they figured he's up to his eyeballs in the latrine (most all of his own doing) and doesn't need another load of crap dropped on his head.

    That said, it is their job to cover the news, not cover Obama's ass.

    .
    39% approval to 30% disapproval with 31% having no opinion is hardly a vast majority. This is a fairly evenly split issue. It's not exactly a surprise that there are so many people protesting it.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: Thousands march in Phoenix to protest immigration law

    The only ones against the arizona law that practically mirroris federal law are illegals and pro-illegals. Those who are against illegal immigration actually read the law and know that in order to be asked by the police about your legal status you have to first be stopped for a staffic violation, DUI check or some othe legal police contact.
    A police officer can pull someone over at any time and find a way to justify it. "Legal police contact" does not require a crime to have been committed, or even suspected to have been committed.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •