Page 23 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1469

Thread: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

  1. #221
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    So what? I could have beaten you by years, had I posted it years ago.
    You are making my head hurt...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #222
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas



    Last edited by Phantom; 05-31-10 at 02:52 PM.
    Vote John Schnatter (Papa John) 2012!

  3. #223
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,194

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Djoop View Post
    No one expected two different stories of course. Why don't we wait and see if the IDF was indeed attacked. I'm sure there will be evidence in terms of weapons and wounds.


    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #224
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    Did hell just freeze over?


    Not on the basis of any previous experience boarding ships. No violence has ever occurred previous to this incident. This is why the commandos were only very lightly armed.
    I've agreed with you on numerous occasions

    In addition to paint ball, were they not armed with pistols/rifles?

    what would you deem a necessary level of firepower for the boarding of a ship? just for perspective reasons.....

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  5. #225
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    The next territorial boundary marks the State's potential contiguous zone, which extends 24 miles offshore. Within this zone, a coastal state can stop and inspect vessels and act to punish (or prevent) violations of its laws within its territory or territorial waters. The contiguous zone solves a vexing problem. As Malcolm Evans describes it:

    Traditionally, where the territorial sea ends, the high seas began and the laws of the coastal State no longer apply. However, policing maritime zones is no easy matter and, unlike land boundaries, they are simple to cross. It would therefore be easy for vessels to commit offences within the territorial sea but to evade arrest by moving just a little further seaward. The answer is to permit coastal States to arrest vessels outside their territorial seas in connection with offences that either have been committed or which it is suspected are going to be committed within their territorial sea.

    In 1999 President Clinton extended the U.S.'s contiguous zone from 12 to 24 miles.

    The potential territorial sea extends 12 miles off the coast. Here the State has territorial jurisdiction, but only up to a point--the right of innocent passage still applies. The LOSC says:

    1. The criminal jurisdiction of the coastal State should not be exercised on board a foreign ship passing through the territorial sea to arrest any person or to conduct any investigation in connection with any crime committed on board the ship during its passage, save only in the following cases:

    (a) if the consequences of the crime extend to the coastal State;

    (b) if the crime is of a kind to disturb the peace of the country or the good order of the territorial sea;

    (c) if the assistance of the local authorities has been requested by the master of the ship or by a diplomatic agent or consular officer of the flag State; or
    The Straight Dope: In international waters, are you beyond the reach of the law?

  6. #226
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,194

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I've agreed with you on numerous occasions

    In addition to paint ball, were they not armed with pistols/rifles?

    what would you deem a necessary level of firepower for the boarding of a ship? just for perspective reasons.....

    Paul
    They were equipped with pistols and were told not to draw them unless there is a risk for their life.
    I think that the level of firepower necessary for the boarding of a human rights peaceful activists' ship is no firepower at all.
    That was not a human rights peaceful activists ship.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  7. #227
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post


    Definitely a cauldron. Its plain to see from the footage what kind of reception awaited the soldiers.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  8. #228
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Next time they need to go in with a full combat loadout, including automatic weapons and grenades. And if they encounter a reception like that one, they need to use them.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #229
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    They were equipped with pistols and were told not to draw them unless there is a risk for their life.
    I think that the level of firepower necessary for the boarding of a human rights peaceful activists' ship is no firepower at all.
    That was not a human rights peaceful activists ship.
    Lets not set up an illusion. The conflict runs deep and we're not suggesting the flotilla was entirely manned by CND daisy chain tree huggers [at least i'm not].
    You are part correct in stating 'no firepower is needed whilst boarding a humanitarian ship' but are incorrect for the purpose of 'storming' a humanitarian ship.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  10. #230
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    DANAHEA posted (The answer to that question is the same answer why Israel would be allowed to do the same thing, if they suspected the shipments to contain weapons. Add to that the fact that the floatilla brazenly announced that it was going to run the blockade, and your argument goes completely out the window.)

    If they suspected armaments were carried aboard then yes I have to admit that this would be excuse enough.

    Naturally when the Israeli's unload these ships in Ashdod Arms will be found.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •