Page 20 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1469

Thread: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

  1. #191
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,211

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Update: 9 dead, not 15.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  2. #192
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    I believe the salient point about this is were the Ships in International Waters at the time this incident took place.

    If in fact they were in International Waters then what this incident amounts to is an act of PIRACY.

    Obviously if the above is true then Israel have shot themselves in their ass, because no nation anywhere in the world can do other than condemn this unlawful action.
    You are dead wrong on that. The floatilla announced in advance that they would attempt to run a blockade. Under international law, that gives Israel the right to board the ships.

    /thread
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #193
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    I believe the salient point about this is were the Ships in International Waters at the time this incident took place. If in fact they were in International Waters then what this incident amounts to is an act of PIRACY.
    I suggest you read up on International Maritime Law (immunity from boarding) and the San Remo Conference (running a blockade).

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  4. #194
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Posted by donaldsutherland1 (The following ships enjoy immunity in international waters: (1) warships (article 95) and (2) Ships owned or operated by a State and used only on government non-commercial service (article 96). Of course, if the warship is used for purposes of piracy, it is no longer immune (article 102). All other ships can be "visited." (article 110)

    The flotilla was not comprised of warships nor ships owned/operated by a state government used only on government non-commercial service. It was not immune from boarding.)

    So according to this argument the Pirates operating from Somalia are entitled to board any privately owned vessel and take control of it?

  5. #195
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    I take your point TASHAH.
    Whether the remainder of the world does the same is doubtful.
    I still say Israel has shot themselves.

  6. #196
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Posted by donaldsutherland1 (The following ships enjoy immunity in international waters: (1) warships (article 95) and (2) Ships owned or operated by a State and used only on government non-commercial service (article 96). Of course, if the warship is used for purposes of piracy, it is no longer immune (article 102). All other ships can be "visited." (article 110)

    The flotilla was not comprised of warships nor ships owned/operated by a state government used only on government non-commercial service. It was not immune from boarding.)

    So according to this argument the Pirates operating from Somalia are entitled to board any privately owned vessel and take control of it?
    do you not see the difference between a state stopping a flotilla from breaching a blockade and simple piracy?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #197
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Posted by donaldsutherland1 (The following ships enjoy immunity in international waters: (1) warships (article 95) and (2) Ships owned or operated by a State and used only on government non-commercial service (article 96). Of course, if the warship is used for purposes of piracy, it is no longer immune (article 102). All other ships can be "visited." (article 110)

    The flotilla was not comprised of warships nor ships owned/operated by a state government used only on government non-commercial service. It was not immune from boarding.)

    So according to this argument the Pirates operating from Somalia are entitled to board any privately owned vessel and take control of it?
    Let me play Devil's advocate here. A while back, North Korea had sent "supplies" on a ship (not a warship, and not owned by a state government) to Iran, with a cargo that was ostensibly "construction materials", and supposedly not weapons. The US boarded it in international waters, and confiscated what turned out to be nuclear technology. Did the United States break international law?

    The answer to that question is the same answer why Israel would be allowed to do the same thing, if they suspected the shipments to contain weapons. Add to that the fact that the floatilla brazenly announced that it was going to run the blockade, and your argument goes completely out the window.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #198
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    That's their justification for killing 16 unarmed civillians in international waters?!?! BS
    Israel found that the ships were carrying automatic weapons and explosives. What kind of aid did these ships plan to deliver? Doesn't sound like humanitarian aid to me. More like aid in the form of more terrorism, directed at Gaza. These commandoes were attacked with more than just knives and axes.

  9. #199
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    So according to this argument the Pirates operating from Somalia are entitled to board any privately owned vessel and take control of it?
    Your analogy is erroneous. Pirates are non-state actors who intend to hijack a commercial ship for ransom (ship/cargo/crew).

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  10. #200
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    The Israeli Navy has boarded many ships before without incident or violence. There were no problems on any of the other five ships in this flotilla. It seems that mild protest was indeed anticipated... and the boarding party was equipped for such a contingency.

    Unanticipated... was the prospect of deadly violence from self-proclaimed "peace activists".

    When you start shooting at commandos, I guarantee that bad things are gonna happen.
    I'll agree with you, twice. The commanders knew full well what could happen.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •