Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1469

Thread: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

  1. #1441
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Since before the Roman empire to the current U.N., Palistine has never been recognized as a sovereign country, just known as a territory named by the Roman Empire as Palaestina.
    State of Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Over 100 countries have made a formal statement recognizing the State of Palestine.

    I noticed, though, that you didn't answer my question. What and who defines a sovereign State?
    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Montevideo Convention?... what does have to do with the Middle East this was a agreement between Montevideo and Uruguay and the signatories where all from South America.
    ...

    Montevideo is the capital of Urugay. The signatories were not all from South America. They were from the Americas as a whole. The United States was also a signatory.

    What does that have to do with the Middle East? I think qualifications for statehood has a lot to do with the Middle East, especially when the discussion is related to Palestine.

  2. #1442
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by ido_ View Post


    this:



    followed by this:



    thats just absurd, but you can keep holding a grip on lies
    Be aware ido, I said this was his experience, not my views. My one view was the British people should question why our Embassy staff did not visit him. Your insults are your actions. The truth is not yet known.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  3. #1443
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I had to go to work this morning sorry, so here is what I was talking about, all the U.S. has to do is defund the U.N., it's a waste of money, and not to mention to take their sorry asses else where.
    Thats certainly fine.

    Thing is, the UN is actually effective in one region. I dont have a problem with them providing aid or giving the international community the necessary legal framework to impose international pressure on violent regimes through sanctions. Would it be possible to impose sanctions on Iran without the UN? International sanctions? How about the international human rights bill and the laws of international waters? I dont trust countries to mandate there own human rights bill. Because you end up with stupid things like the Cairo bill of human rights.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 06-08-10 at 04:44 AM.

  4. #1444
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I had to go to work this morning sorry, so here is what I was talking about, all the U.S. has to do is defund the U.N., it's a waste of money, and not to mention to take their sorry asses else where.
    The US owes the UN billions in unpaid contributions. It has effectively "defunded" (sic) the UN already. The US is only one member of the UN and even if it continues to default on its debts, the UN will carry on with its essential work. Just because a couple of member states aren't happy with how the UN works doesn't mean the other 190 members aren't.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #1445
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    With the help of the violent mob and pure propaganda, sure.
    Let us not fool ourselves here, however, they were not doing anything for the sake of aiding Gazan people.
    If that was the case then clearly they'll simply agree to the Israeli offer to end this peacefully and let Israel deliver the humanitarian aid.
    I’ve already gone over this umpteen times and even more recently. The point was to raise the profile of the blockade. If you read my link to the Israeli ambassador’s article in the Guardian 3 years ago – previous aid ships were allowed to land in Gaza and nobody heard anything more. Israel cocked up by taking on this particular flotilla in the way they did. You already know this. The whole aim was propaganda through the delivery of Aid and they hoped for Israeli mismanagement – which happened.
    That’s ONE repeat of something I’ve already explained to other posters in this thread (with links)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Certainly they wouldn't have to lie about soldiers attacking them and them simply being unarmed innocent peaceful activists, certainly that's not the case here. That's where you're ****ing wrong. They have stated that Israeli soldiers were not attacked, and that they came on board shooting.
    I personally haven’t seen any full unedited video and most news sources I check have said the whole chain of events including the moments when the soldiers opened fire have been kept out of the news.
    SO tell me how you know 100% for sure Mr Steinberg? Especially when so few others outside the IDF don’t either?
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Yeah, just like I can't prove that God does not exist.
    However by taking those activists' words for facts, for things that you know are true and are backed up with evidence, you are simply labeling yourself as an irrational person, which makes it a good thing that you oppose Israel over this.
    I posted links – and I think if you find that I have not said the stories were definites – there’s still lots of doubt over the events and you yourself know the IDF and Israeli Govt have retracted statements AND made apologies. Alexa posted a link in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    The flotila activists have taken pistols from the soldiers and have opened fire on them with that.
    There were two soldiers suffering gunshots.
    Yes, fully agreed – I think you’ll find this is what I posted earlier in this thread when others (including you) were claiming the activists brought their own firearms.
    That’s the SECOND repeat of something I’ve already explained to other posters in this thread (with links)


    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    However you are wrong when you, with all of your hatred towards the Israeli state, claim that I'm a spokesman for the IDF.
    You have no argument so simply resort to trying to smear your opponent. I’ve read other posters say that disagreeing with Israeli propaganda (every Govt in the world engages in propaganda so get off your high horse before you try) makes you anti-Semitic or an Israel-hater. So be it.
    1) The UN is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    2) Amnesty International is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    3) Oxfam is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    4) The BBC is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    5) Gisha is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    6) The Israeli Supreme Court is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    7) Switzerland was wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    8) The EU is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    Any more I need to add?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I am definitely not, I am a spokesman for truth and the truth is at the highest of my interests.
    You have made truth to be your enemy, and I am here to expose the absurdness of your claims and statements.
    Yawn. I see delusions of grandeur here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Apparently you believe that if my words were directed towards the activists and not you, then they are meaningless.
    How bizarre. Are you suffering from some form of narcissism?
    I was trying to get a clarification. Make of it what you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I do not deny anything, I am referring to that which does not exist at the realm of truth as what it is, and I am referring to your claim that their words are facts to be rhetorical and ridiculously irrational.
    Please find me where I said their words were facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Netanyahu didn't write any recommendation, you're proving yourself to be a reality-disconnected irrational person even more with every comment.
    That restaurant is however located in the Gaza Strip, and I find your brainwashed opinion that Gaza is the worst place in the world to be quite delusional.
    You didn’t (surprise surprise) read the article linked did you? And did I say Gaza was “the worst place in the world.”
    Are you going to pretend that you misunderstood what I was asking here too? Please find those words in my previous posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I know of Gaza's situation way better than what you hear about from the media.
    Seems to me like you'd claim anyone who exposes your words as false to be a spokesman for the IDF. You've already lost it.
    Whatever you expose if I have deliberately misled or lied I’ll heartily take back. You on the other hand, built up a lie in your mind, called me pathetic for disagreeing and then had the cheek to try and accuse me of “reading comprehension” failures.
    Hahahahahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Many rockets don't land in the desert, but in population centers.
    Thousands actually.
    So how come we don't have thousands of deaths?
    Because the only deaths occur when someone is taking too long to get into the shelter, which is quite rare considering the alarms and security systems.
    I hear the rockets take seconds from launch to impact. They are unguided missiles just as likely to end up in the deserts and any wastelands as in towns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Israel has already developed the Iron Dome, it's currently in the production phase.
    Yes, I know – I read my own sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    No, the nukes analogy still stands.
    A nuclear weapon being taken out while it's not damaging anyone doesn't mean that it doesn't have the potential to harm anyone.
    A rocket not killing anyone because they're all in the shelters doesn't mean that it doesn't have the potentiality to kill anyone.
    It's a ridiculous attempt at propaganda.
    If you wish to continue to compare a small rocket like a Kassam or a Qud to a nuclear bomb or nuclear missile be my guest. If you think the proximity danger range of a Kassam going off 60ft or further from a settlement as big a physical danger as a nuclear bomb going off (lets be generous) a mile or further from another settlement (And nowhere have I said “an Israeli settlement / Israeli town) then keep deluding yourself.
    Your analogy is as rubbish as most of your posts on this thread. I’ve posted an MFA and other links where I got the “psychological rather than physical” threat and they are Israeli Govt but hey – shall we add the Israeli Govt to this list?
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    1) The UN is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    2) Amnesty International is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    3) Oxfam is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    4) The BBC is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    5) Gisha is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    6) The Israeli Supreme Court is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    7) Switzerland was wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    8) The EU is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    9) The MDF is wrong about the psychological threat posed by Kassam and similar rockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I did what?
    I believe when Zyphlin asked the reason for your statement I've simply said that he knows what the reason is.
    Weasel words. Have the balls to accuse me of being an anti-Semite will you? You’ve graduated to calling me an “Israel hater” in this thread so go one further step and show how Goodwin’s law has evolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Now why would you assume that I was claiming you're an anti-Semite if you didn't find it an obvious implication from your words, yourself?
    That's just too ****ing hilarious.
    More weasel words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    So were the soldiers that were nearly murdered by the precious peaceful activists you choose to protect.
    I’ll ask for proof that I’ve “protected” the activists please. I’ve stated that I think personally believe the blockade is illegal, that I personally believe the raid on the flotilla was wrong (I originally said piracy – but found in my own reading that piracy can not be attributed to a state) and that there were quotes that other activists on the other ships had been beaten / electrocuted etc.
    Where have I “protected” the activists please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Your irrationality is showing.
    Reuters, a notable, famous, neutral, credible news agency has stated, without any doubts, that the only conclusion right now is that Israel was completely within its rights.
    And I will repeat for your comprehension that I and explained that a report on the BBC and elsewhere found that opinion is divided across the world.

    That’s the THIRD repeat of something I’ve already explained to you (or others) in this thread (with links)

  6. #1446
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Thankfully, not all Israelis buy into the notion that any critic of Israel (including Jewish critics) is by definition anti-semitic. The words of Uri Avnery sum it up pretty well


    "The idea of a flotilla as a means to break the blockade borders on genius. It placed the Israeli government on the horns of a dilemma - the choice between several alternatives, all of them bad. Every general hopes to get his opponent into such a situation.

    The alternatives were:

    (a) To let the flotilla reach Gaza without hindrance. The cabinet secretary supported this option. That would have led to the end of the blockade, because after this flotilla more and larger ones would have come.

    (b) To stop the ships in territorial waters, inspect their cargo and make sure they were not carrying weapons or "terrorists", then let them continue on their way. That would have aroused some vague protests in the world but upheld the principle of a blockade.

    (c) To capture them on the high seas and bring them to Ashdod, risking a face-to-face battle with activists on board.

    As our governments have always done, when faced with the choice between several bad alternatives, the Netanyahu government chose the worst.

    Anyone who followed the preparations as reported in the media could have foreseen that they would lead to people being killed and injured. One does not storm a Turkish ship and expect cute little girls to present one with flowers. The Turks are not known as people who give in easily.

    The orders given to the forces and made public included the three fateful words: "at any cost". Every soldier knows what these three terrible words mean. Moreover, on the list of objectives, the consideration for the passengers appeared only in third place, after safeguarding the safety of the soldiers and fulfilling the task.

    If Binyamin Netanyahu, Ehud Barak, the Chief of Staff and the commander of the navy did not understand that this would lead to killing and wounding people, then it must be concluded - even by those who were reluctant to consider this until now - that they are grossly incompetent. They must be told, in the immortal words of Oliver Cromwell to Parliament: "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

    THIS EVENT points again to one of the most serious aspects of the situation: we live in a bubble, in a kind of mental ghetto, which cuts us off and prevents us from seeing another reality, the one perceived by the rest of the world. A psychiatrist might judge this to be the symptom of a severe mental problem.

    The propaganda of the government and the army tells a simple story: our heroic soldiers, determined and sensitive, the elite of the elite, descended on the ship in order "to talk" and were attacked by a wild and violent crowd. Official spokesmen repeated again and again the word "lynching".

    On the first day, almost all the Israeli media accepted this. After all, it is clear that we, the Jews, are the victims. Always. That applies to Jewish soldiers, too. True, we storm a foreign ship at sea, but turn at once into victims who have no choice but to defend ourselves against violent and incited anti-Semites"......

    Kill a Turk and Rest

  7. #1447
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    I think this article is a very interesting resumé of reasons for opposing the Israeli blockade of Gaza, whilst at the same time maintaning a broadly pro-Israeli, anti-Islamist position.

    Sympathise with Israel, but not the blockade | Nick Cohen | Comment is free | The Observer

    I have very divided feelings about the work of Nick Cohen. He used to be strongly socialist in his philosophy and as recently as 2002, he wrote an article "Why it is right to be anti-American", arguing that US foreign policy had a part to play in the rising clash between Islam and the West. All this changed with the invasion of Iraq and what he saw as the capitulation of the liberal left in the face of the common cause emerging between the left and radical Islam. This new position is spelled out in his book, "What's Left". It's one of the most interesting writings of the past few years, I was stimulated and appalled by it in equal measure. He accepts the term neo-con but maintains a much more interesting and broad set of positions on social and economic issues than you'd normally expect from a commentator of such vehemence.

    He raises many issues in it that really demand to be taken seriously by liberals and leftists, such as:
    • Why do supposedly progressive forces make apologies for Islamist extremists who represent every rancid, anti-liberal position that progressives hold dear?
    • Why do liberals support the repression of women/gays/ethnic and religious minorities in conservative societies whilst still pretending to hold these rights as being fundamental in their own societies?
    • Why do left liberals spend so much time attacking Israel and so little attacking Sudan, Burma, Iran etc etc?


    There are many more, but these are legitimate questions, even if there are legitimate answers available to those who seek them out, rather than seeing the questions as polemical points scorers in themselves.

    Liberals and leftists on both sides of the Israel/Palestine debate need to take a step back occasionally and consider these more fundamental questions and many others with a rational head. It's very difficult to do so when, by taking a more balanced position against Hamas terrorism and against the Israeli blockade, you butt heads with the evolved version Godwin's law, as IC signals above.

    Being demonised by the blindly partisan Israel-can-do-no-wrong lobby is as dense a smoke-screen to see clearly through as is that of the every-criticism-of-Islamism-is-Islamophobia position.

    As far as I can see, the only way through is to hold onto the fundamental truths of one's belief system. From my lefty standpoint that means reminding oneself every so often of some of the following:
    1. Not every Israeli supports the blockade and the ultra-hawkish position of the Bibi administration
    2. Even if it is clear that Hamas isn't just a terror group but a reflection of the democratic wishes of a strong portion of the Gazan/Palestinian people, don't mistake the violent basis of it's political positions and it's fundamental anti-Israeli/anti-semitism for mere resistance.
    3. When supporting the well-being and legitimate needs of the Palestinians, make sure you don't forget the same need for security of the Israeli people. Just because the body count is loaded in one direction doesn't mean that the other side doesn't have the same rights to protection from fear.
    4. Whilst supporting legitimate aims of the Palestinian people, never give unquestioning support to organisations and movements for whom the Palestinian cause is just one part of their conservative/nationalist/religious agenda. Supporting the call for the end to the Gaza blockade should be just that, because the blockade is hurting the Palestinian people and reinforcing the position of Hamas. It needs to be spelled out that it is an end in itself, to alleviate the parlous situation of the people holed-up in Gaza, and not just a stepping stone to the anti-Western, Islamist revolution.


    Good grief, there are so many more contradictions and pitfalls in engaging in these issues that it makes your head hurt. Those who see things in black-and-white, us-v-them terms have a so much easier time of it, but those who acknowledge the complexity and paradoxes of the situation are obliged to work harder and think more deeply. Such voices are not well represented in these DP debates but they need to have the conviction of their beliefs and to not shut up.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #1448
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,211

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I’ve already gone over this umpteen times and even more recently. The point was to raise the profile of the blockade. If you read my link to the Israeli ambassador’s article in the Guardian 3 years ago – previous aid ships were allowed to land in Gaza and nobody heard anything more. Israel cocked up by taking on this particular flotilla in the way they did. You already know this. The whole aim was propaganda through the delivery of Aid and they hoped for Israeli mismanagement – which happened.
    That’s ONE repeat of something I’ve already explained to other posters in this thread (with links)
    So you're basically agreeing with the statements you were responding to?
    Because nothing that you've said contradicts them one way or another.
    I personally haven’t seen any full unedited video and most news sources I check have said the whole chain of events including the moments when the soldiers opened fire have been kept out of the news.
    SO tell me how you know 100% for sure Mr Steinberg? Especially when so few others outside the IDF don’t either?
    Well Mr Chomsky, the footage published by the IDF, the one you're trying so hard to ignore, shows the activists attacking the soldiers the moment they've boarded the ship.
    They were grouping up at the top deck and were waiting with knives and crowbars for the arrival of the soldiers, certainly not looking like they were just shot at or are being shot at.
    I posted links – and I think if you find that I have not said the stories were definites – there’s still lots of doubt over the events and you yourself know the IDF and Israeli Govt have retracted statements AND made apologies. Alexa posted a link in another thread.
    I believe that is irrelevant.
    Let me make this clear to you:
    By taking the words of the activists for granted(=as facts) you're admitting to a deep agenda-motivated dishonesty and irrationality.
    I do not see any sane reason to take the word of those who came there for the sake of anti-Israeli propaganda, definitely not as they have no evidence to back their claims and most definitely not as they were caught lying more than once.
    You have no argument so simply resort to trying to smear your opponent.
    My thoughts on you.
    I’ve read other posters say that disagreeing with Israeli propaganda (every Govt in the world engages in propaganda so get off your high horse before you try) makes you anti-Semitic or an Israel-hater. So be it.
    I've never heard any other poster saying such things.
    You've seen a poster who's an anti-Israeli being called an anti-Semite.
    That by no means implies that being anti-Israeli means you're an anti-Semite.
    1) The UN is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    2) Amnesty International is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    3) Oxfam is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    4) The BBC is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    5) Gisha is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    6) The Israeli Supreme Court is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    7) Switzerland was wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    8) The EU is wrong on everything to do with Israel and Gaza
    Any more I need to add?
    Those bodies are wrong when they're wrong and right when they're right, enough said.
    Please find me where I said their words were facts.
    "According to reports, people were attacked and were beaten on other ships as well" = depending entirely on the witnesses words and referring to the incidents as facts, using the term "according to reports", implying that it's a news report and not a questionable witness account by one of the activists.
    You didn’t (surprise surprise) read the article linked did you? And did I say Gaza was “the worst place in the world.”
    Are you going to pretend that you misunderstood what I was asking here too? Please find those words in my previous posts.
    You're saying that Gaza has no jobs, no industries, what's not.
    So in return I've supplied you with an example of a hotel in Gaza.
    Now are you going to say that this hotel is the only place to find jobs at besides at the terrorist organization of Hamas?
    Until when are you going to make those baseless statements and believe that you'd be able to get away with it?
    I hear the rockets take seconds from launch to impact.
    40 seconds in average.
    If you wish to continue to compare a small rocket like a Kassam or a Qud to a nuclear bomb or nuclear missile be my guest. If you think the proximity danger range of a Kassam going off 60ft or further from a settlement as big a physical danger as a nuclear bomb going off (lets be generous) a mile or further from another settlement (And nowhere have I said “an Israeli settlement / Israeli town) then keep deluding yourself.
    Now you're just making a fool out of yourself.
    I was not comparing their power but has laid an analogy based on your claim that if a weapon doesn't kill many it means that it is not a "killing weapon".
    I’ve posted an MFA and other links where I got the “psychological rather than physical” threat and they are Israeli Govt but hey – shall we add the Israeli Govt to this list?
    Once more, you're making a fool out of yourself.
    Let's lay out the differences between the government statement and your statement here, shall we now?

    The government statement refers to the actual result.
    The actual result of those rockets is more of a psychological damage than a physical damage.

    Your statement claims that the rockets are not "killing weapons", referring to the physically damaging potentiality of the weapon by itself.

    Clearly my issue is with your statement and not the government's, since I have agreed with the government's statement and have explained the reasons for the results being more psychologically damaging than physically damaging.
    Weasel words. Have the balls to accuse me of being an anti-Semite will you? You’ve graduated to calling me an “Israel hater” in this thread so go one further step and show how Goodwin’s law has evolved.
    Why I'll never even dream about calling you an anti-Semite, since I do not believe that you are.
    Once more, you've drawn the conclusion entirely on your own, which should really be enough to deliver the message.
    I’ll ask for proof that I’ve “protected” the activists please. I’ve stated that I think personally believe the blockade is illegal, that I personally believe the raid on the flotilla was wrong (I originally said piracy – but found in my own reading that piracy can not be attributed to a state) and that there were quotes that other activists on the other ships had been beaten / electrocuted etc.
    Where have I “protected” the activists please?
    I'm referring you to the statements above the question mark.
    The flotilla raid, as far as international law is concerned, was fully legit.
    The Q&A of Reuters agrees with me, as I've shown you, so I do not feel the need to waste further time debating over the obvious truth.
    And I will repeat for your comprehension that I and explained that a report on the BBC and elsewhere found that opinion is divided across the world.
    I couldn't find any real news source (Reuters, AP, etc) that says the Israeli actions were against international law.

    I do not doubt for a moment that you too know that the Israeli raid was done fully in accordance with the international law, yet you just cannot admit to being wrong.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #1449
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,211

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Thankfully, not all Israelis buy into the notion that any critic of Israel (including Jewish critics) is by definition anti-semitic. The words of Uri Avnery sum it up pretty well
    Thankfully the majority of the Israelis would tell you that Uri Avnery is an idiot.
    Even more thankfully, you are correct in your assertion that not all Israelis are "buying into the notion that any critic of Israel is by definition anti-semitic", since I for one do not even know one person who follows that line of thought.
    Answering Avnery:
    The alternatives were:

    (a) To let the flotilla reach Gaza without hindrance. The cabinet secretary supported this option. That would have led to the end of the blockade, because after this flotilla more and larger ones would have come.
    Israel isn't interested in the ending of the blockade.
    Clearly that was done before, but we can all see the result of that action now, it has drawn more ships just as Avnery admits here.
    (b) To stop the ships in territorial waters, inspect their cargo and make sure they were not carrying weapons or "terrorists", then let them continue on their way. That would have aroused some vague protests in the world but upheld the principle of a blockade.
    So far for being ridiculously stupid, doing that would still cause the same results, including the activists' attack on the soldiers and everything that came with it.
    Besides that the state is not capable of searching tons of humanitarian aid while the ship is in the sea.
    The ships need to be brought to the nearest port and there they will be unloaded and the cargo inspected.
    (c) To capture them on the high seas and bring them to Ashdod, risking a face-to-face battle with activists on board.
    As if option (b) didn't risk that! What a buffoon.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #1450
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Israel intercepts Gaza flotilla, says Hamas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Thankfully the majority of the Israelis would tell you that Uri Avnery is an idiot.
    and any sort of intelligent, reasonable person anywhere else as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Even more thankfully, you are correct in your assertion that not all Israelis are "buying into the notion that any critic of Israel is by definition anti-semitic", since I for one do not even know one person who follows that line of thought.

    I have seen countless hate sites that make this same claim. Those who are predisposed towards accepting it then pass on the meme which acts to throw a smokescreen obfuscating the fact they ARE antisemites, have indulged in much antisemitic rhetoric, and this ruse is intended to frame those who object to their bigotry as overreacting. It is nothing but a very calculated, cynical ploy utilized to legitimize their bigotry and cast aspesions upon those who do not share it. I'm reminded of those who vent their spleen constantly about gay people who then try to cop the plea that they were "only objecting to gay marriage". Most intelligent people do not fall for that cr@p, but somehow they do when the subject is Jews.


    It is not ANY criticism of Israel that is antisemitic in nature -- it is the completely demonizing nature of the points of view that are so biased against Jews that no other explanation could possibly suffice by way of definition.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •