Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

  1. #1
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school.

    Orange County's Santa Ana College says the controversial new memorial scholarship will be funded by private donations and honors former student Tan Ngoc Tran, a student leader and immigrant-rights activist who transferred to Brown University before she was killed by a drunk driver on May 15.

    Students eligible for the new scholarship must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average, demonstrate a financial need and must also be trying to become an American citizen. Those eligible include students holding green cards, students who have permanent residency — and illegal, undocumented immigrants.

    The scholarship was announced by the Santa Ana College Foundation at an informal memorial service for Tran held at Santa Ana College on Wednesday, said Laurie Weidner, spokeswoman for the Rancho Santiago Community College District, which governs Santa Ana College.



    Once again a slap in the face to citizens and immigrants who play by the rules. And spare us the "no public funds will be used" Its a PUBLIC University. So the illegal immigrants aren't going to attend class, use the facilities or ride the elevators? Cut the funding off IMMEDIATELY. Rewarding criminals should be punished.



    FOXNews.com - Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  2. #2
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    Totally agree. Have no problem with scholarships for LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, but including illegal immigrants just further rewards criminal behavior.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    Firstly its in California, not in Texas where you are.
    Secondly, of course schools are publically funded because they can’t pull in money from just fees and tuition, but that’s the state of California’s decision. You should respect their state sovereignty in my opinion and let California be California and we’ll let Texas be Texas.
    Also don’t you think you might be overreacting a little? Immigration is a big issue but a 2,500 dollar privately funded scholarship at a California community college isn’t exactly going to break the bank. I don’t know which school this is but the local community college where I once lived in CA offered classes for 80 bucks a credit hour at most. And lastly since this fellow is getting an education and trying to become a citizen, whoever they choice, that this small 2,500 investment might actually turn him into a productive citizen? That’s just speculation but I think its more likely than it would be without his education.

  4. #4
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Firstly its in California, not in Texas where you are.
    So the hell what? The law doesn't matter in California?

    Secondly, of course schools are publically funded because they can’t pull in money from just fees and tuition, but that’s the state of California’s decision. You should respect their state sovereignty in my opinion and let California be California and we’ll let Texas be Texas.
    Do you understand they are violating the law? Does that even register with you?

    Also don’t you think you might be overreacting a little?
    Not even a little.

    Immigration is a big issue but a 2,500 dollar privately funded scholarship at a California community college isn’t exactly going to break the bank.
    That isn't the point and you know it. You don't allow illegals to break the law and certainly so they can deny legal residents college.

    I don’t know which school this is but the local community college where I once lived in CA offered classes for 80 bucks a credit hour at most. And lastly since this fellow is getting an education and trying to become a citizen, whoever they choice, that this small 2,500 investment might actually turn him into a productive citizen? That’s just speculation but I think its more likely than it would be without his education.
    #1 Illegals cannot work to become citizens. They are ILLEGAL. LEGAL citizens can. Why do you want to reward criminal behavior at the expense of our own citizens?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    They probably shouldn't do this but I have a hard time getting angry about educating people who couldn't otherwise afford it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #6
    Student LowRevs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Downeast in NC
    Last Seen
    07-12-12 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    272

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    I hope they publicize the recipient each year so ICE can be notified to deport the interloper!!
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.--Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school.

    Orange County's Santa Ana College says the controversial new memorial scholarship will be funded by private donations and honors former student Tan Ngoc Tran, a student leader and immigrant-rights activist who transferred to Brown University before she was killed by a drunk driver on May 15.

    Students eligible for the new scholarship must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average, demonstrate a financial need and must also be trying to become an American citizen. Those eligible include students holding green cards, students who have permanent residency — and illegal, undocumented immigrants.

    The scholarship was announced by the Santa Ana College Foundation at an informal memorial service for Tran held at Santa Ana College on Wednesday, said Laurie Weidner, spokeswoman for the Rancho Santiago Community College District, which governs Santa Ana College.



    Once again a slap in the face to citizens and immigrants who play by the rules. And spare us the "no public funds will be used" Its a PUBLIC University. So the illegal immigrants aren't going to attend class, use the facilities or ride the elevators? Cut the funding off IMMEDIATELY. Rewarding criminals should be punished.



    FOXNews.com - Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants
    Typical Fox News story -- you can't enroll in a CA college or university w/o a SS#.

    Move on, nothing to see here.

    Although--the illegal students should be permitted to challenge any high school drop-outs complaining about this to an IQ test. Logically, we're better off deporting those will less potential to benefit society. Granted, the high school drop out may have been born here, but if they've never held a job and have a couple of DUIs or the like, wouldn't we better off getting rid of them? Just sayin'.

  8. #8
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They probably shouldn't do this but I have a hard time getting angry about educating people who couldn't otherwise afford it.
    So it doesn't anger you they are taking the place of legal citizens who want the same opportunity? Ever think about that?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #9
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Typical Fox News story -- you can't enroll in a CA college or university w/o a SS#.

    Move on, nothing to see here.
    Typical Hazel. Ignore the facts and attack the source without any evidence to support it.


    Although--the illegal students should be permitted to challenge any high school drop-outs complaining about this to an IQ test. Logically, we're better off deporting those will less potential to benefit society. Granted, the high school drop out may have been born here, but if they've never held a job and have a couple of DUIs or the like, wouldn't we better off getting rid of them? Just sayin'.
    As long as you are first on the boat I'm all for it!
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #10
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

    privately funded

    It is not our money being privately donated, it is the prerogative of the donors to choose how and where they spend their money.
    Last edited by marduc; 05-30-10 at 01:34 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •