Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 170

Thread: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

  1. #121
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What you have is an attorney, who graduated suma cum laude, was Bush's cheif ethics lawyer, who is on the board of the Professional Responsibility Section of the American Bar Association, and whose main specialty happens to be ethics. You can't get much qualified than that. I'll take him over news channel talking heads any day of the week.

    That this is some kind of a crime is a non-issue. On the other hand, Obama's ethics is certainly on the table here, and that is the direction Republicans need to take this if they want to make it an issue.
    Point to note. Painter is centering his position on the caveat: "based on the explanation that the WH is currently standing by". And in itself that seems quite reasonable. But then he (Painter) goes on to cite the Hatch act, which in effect suggests that the "unpaid WH Adviser" position Clinton supposedly offered to Sestak doesn't make a lick of sense.

    We will have to wait and see if this story maintains any legs in the coming weeks. But my current impression is that the whole WH story/explanation has a funny smell to it.

    (and i really am trying to look at this objectively. It's challenging, but i'm trying.... )


    .

  2. #122
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Point to note. Painter is centering his position on the caveat: "based on the explanation that the WH is currently standing by". And in itself that seems quite reasonable. But then he (Painter) goes on to cite the Hatch act, which in effect suggests that the "unpaid WH Adviser" position Clinton supposedly offered to Sestak doesn't make a lick of sense.

    We will have to wait and see if this story maintains any legs in the coming weeks. But my current impression is that the whole WH story/explanation has a funny smell to it.

    (and i really am trying to look at this objectively. It's challenging, but i'm trying.... )


    .
    And I appreciate your balanced and thought out approach to posting on this.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #123
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I don't get it Dan. So the Hatch act makes it illegal to hold office and a job with the Federal government at the same time..... I get that.

    What I don't get is how that effects this bribe. Let's say you are running for the office of Senator, and I as President come to you and say that I'll give you a job in Government that pays 200 million a year if you drop out of the race..... is that a crime? Or is it ok because if you accept this bribe you couldn't run for the office anyway.
    Well Dan, your lack of response shows that you see right where I'm going with this and you have no defense..... neither does the White House, it was a felony.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Got it, thanx.... so we have a guy with an opinion that goes counter to the law (title 18, 600) and because he was with a Republican administration at one point, we are to believe his interpretation instead of the plain facts of the case and law? (you do know that there are other legal opinions that run counter to your link?)

    Special prosecutor..... it's the only way we'll ever get to the bottom of this...... or a trial of public opinion, that would be a sad commentary of our times and this very transparent President.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Doesn't matter who he is or what degrees he has, it needs to be looked into by a special prosecutor and the facts, not spin be ascertained. Only then can this be looked at as only an ethics problem. I and a lot of other citizens look at this as more bribery by an administration that finds no problem using our tax dollars to buy outcomes that they couldn't obtain by legal means.
    I always find it interesting when a member of the opposition party or someone closely associated with same agrees with an issue or outcome that those individuals who support said decision or outcome are all for it. But the moment someone from the opposition party agrees with those they are suppose to oppose suddenly what that person says has no merit. Very interesting indeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I don't get it Dan. So the Hatch act makes it illegal to hold office and a job with the Federal government at the same time..... I get that.

    What I don't get is how that effects this bribe. Let's say you are running for the office of Senator, and I as President come to you and say that I'll give you a job in Government that pays 200 million a year if you drop out of the race..... is that a crime? Or is it ok because if you accept this bribe you couldn't run for the office anyway.
    It was a non-guarenteed, non-paying position. How does that constitute a bribe?
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 05-31-10 at 11:21 PM.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I and a lot of other citizens look at this as more bribery by an administration that finds no problem using our tax dollars to buy outcomes that they couldn't obtain by legal means.
    A) Have these 'other citizens' passed the bar or do they just frequent one?

    B) And how do these astute friends feel about the previous administrations doing this?

  6. #126
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Doesn't matter who he is or what degrees he has, it needs to be looked into by a special prosecutor and the facts, not spin be ascertained. Only then can this be looked at as only an ethics problem. I and a lot of other citizens look at this as more bribery by an administration that finds no problem using our tax dollars to buy outcomes that they couldn't obtain by legal means.
    If this is not looked into by a special prosecutor there will always be the doubt (black mark) hanging over the Obama administration.

    He should want this decided once and for all.

    Up 'till now, there have only been opinions on both sides and nothing legally binding.

    Obama should ask Clinton what it is like to answer questions about something that happened during his administration for the rest of his life.

  7. #127
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,373
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And I appreciate your balanced and thought out approach to posting on this.
    LINK to Sestak's repeated admissions, Gibb's repeated stone walling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJLej...layer_embedded

    Balance.

    When you have Sestak admitting in interview after interview that he was offered a high level job to get out of the race, that he answered the question honestly, and you have a law clearly crafted against such activity, you are to conclude those making the offer were within the law?

    How is that?

    Why didn't Gibbs get the info the press wanted after saying he would?
    He is the press secretary, in contact with Obi and crew daily.
    Why, if everything was on the up-and-up did the White House fail to answer questions from the press on this matter for months?

    Quoting... "Did someone offer you something to get out of the race?" ... "Yes".

    18 USC 600.

    Since when are politicians above the law?

    Honestly.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-01-10 at 03:16 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #128
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    LINK to Sestak's repeated admissions, Gibb's repeated stone walling: YouTube - So Who Is Wrong?

    Balance.

    When you have Sestak admitting in interview after interview that he was offered a high level job to get out of the race, that he answered the question honestly, and you have a law clearly crafted against such activity, you are to conclude those making the offer were within the law?

    How is that?

    Why didn't Gibbs get the info the press wanted after saying he would?
    He is the press secretary, in contact with Obi and crew daily.
    Why, if everything was on the up-and-up did the White House fail to answer questions from the press on this matter for months?

    Quoting... "Did someone offer you something to get out of the race?" ... "Yes".

    18 USC 600.

    Since when are politicians above the law?

    Honestly.

    .
    This is why it needs to be investigated.

    Gibbs delayed the answer because it takes time to come up with a story that people might beleive.

    If the White House really thought there was no crime, they would have answered right away.

    Behavior is usually an indication of something.

    For example, the police look at a surviving spouse more closely if he does not behave how they think a grieving husband should if his wife dies.

    Here we can see the White House delaying their answer and that looks guilty. Again the White House staff are from Chicago which puts their story in even more doubt.
    Last edited by Mason66; 06-01-10 at 03:25 AM.

  9. #129
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,373
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    This is why it needs to be investigated.

    Gibbs delayed the answer because it takes time to come up with a story that people might beleive.

    If the White House really thought there was no crime, they would have answered right away.

    Behavior is usually an indication of something.

    For example, the police look at a surviving spouse more closely if he does not behave how they think a grieving husband should if his wife dies.

    Here we can see the White House delaying their answer and that looks guilty. Again the White House staff are from Chicago which puts their story in even more doubt.
    Isn't it bizarro?
    WE HAVE REPEATED ADMISSIONS ON NATIONAL TELEVISION, ON DIFFERENT NETWORKS, THERE WAS AN OFFER OF A JOB TO GET OUT OF THE RACE...

    ...REPEATED ADMISSIONS. Not a slip of the tongue. Not a clandestine recording. Not his lover spilling the beans. Not a pissed staffer coming clean. Not CBS with forged documents.

    No... we have the words from the man himself, the man receiving the offer of a job to get out of the race so the field is clear for Specter.

    And he was proud, stating he was just being "honest".
    HONEST.

    Then you put his statements up against the law, specifically 18 USC 600.

    Add 1+1 and you get?
    For Libs it is zero.

    I thought both Pelosi and Obama said they would run a clean, transparent ship?

    Bullship I say.

    Throw the book at them. They have gone all out to deceive the public... and that with the facts blaring out of the TV sets and computer screens.

    If they try to make us believe there was nothing wrong with this, when it is a clear violation of law... what the ell else are these people doing?

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-01-10 at 10:14 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  10. #130
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: White House Asked Bill Clinton to Urge Sestak to Drop Out of Senate Race

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    And how do these astute friends feel about the previous administrations doing this?

    Can you show for us the previous administration asking a Senate candidate in a primary to drop out in consideration of a job offer?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •