Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    As far as obtaining Holy Water, Catholic Churches have a Holy Water urn with a spigot for the faithful to take as they wish.
    I spent the whole first half of my life in catholic churches and catholic schools, and I've never yet encountered any spigot that dispenses holy water.
    I imagine one could fill up a small vial with it, if necessary.... but one had better have a darned good reason for doing so- such as a sick relative in a hospital- and it would probably go better if one asked for permission first.
    Last edited by 1069; 05-31-10 at 12:37 AM.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I spent the whole first half of my life in catholic churches and catholic schools, and I've never yet encountered any spigot that dispenses holy water.
    I imagine one could fill up a small vial with it, if necessary.... but one had better have a darned good reason for doing so- such as a sick relative in a hospital- and it would probably go better if one asked for permission first.
    Really? I suggest that you haven't noticed this. Usually it's easily obtainable. Out of curiosity you can always contact your local Catholic Church. It's usually quite discretely positioned in a variety of locations within said church.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Really? I suggest that you haven't noticed this. Usually it's easily obtainable. Out of curiosity you can always contact your local Catholic Church. It's usually quite discretely positioned in a variety of locations within said church.
    Well, perhaps I just never noticed.
    I never had occasion to fill a container with holy water, so I wouldn't have noticed a spigot even if there was one.
    I never saw anyone else filling containers at spigots either, though.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    I do like ten's idea of filling a super soaker with holy water though... bad ass.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Well, perhaps I just never noticed.
    I never had occasion to fill a container with holy water, so I wouldn't have noticed a spigot even if there was one.
    I never saw anyone else filling containers at spigots either, though.
    I don't think too many people have home Holy Water fonts these days. That custom has sadly mostly died out, at least in the White community. I wouldn't be surprised if Hispanic Catholic didn't still have them, or use Holy Water more than Anglos.

    Also, there's a growing Traditionalist movement that cherishes all things pre-Vatican II, for better or worse.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    You have no factual data God doesn't exist so your argument is also based on faith.
    Wrong, the negative in this case does not need to be proven. Since it's an argument of existence, it's the positive which must be shown true. Otherwise, the negative can be assumed. That's how it works. How do you prove something is not there? Well there's nothing but lack of evidence for it being there. Essentially, the necessity to demonstrate a side comes on the behalf of the creation. If I claim leprechauns exist, someone can say "no they don't, prove it". It doesn't mean the guy is operating on faith that leprechauns do not exist; but is rather issuing a statement for proof. The claim isn't that god doesn't exist, the claim is that it does. So prove it. If not, then it doesn't take faith to not believe, but rather just a healthy dose of skepticism. If you start to collect convincing data, then ok; maybe I'll buy a faith sort of thing. But we're not at that point, and it's not faith but skepticism.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #77
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Bottom line if the teachers did this they need fired
    also if the teacher discussing atheism was not involved in a general discussion like a Q&A and was telling students TO BE or saying its better to be atheist that needs addressed too.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  8. #78
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Wrong, the negative in this case does not need to be proven. Since it's an argument of existence, it's the positive which must be shown true. Otherwise, the negative can be assumed. That's how it works. How do you prove something is not there? Well there's nothing but lack of evidence for it being there. Essentially, the necessity to demonstrate a side comes on the behalf of the creation. If I claim leprechauns exist, someone can say "no they don't, prove it". It doesn't mean the guy is operating on faith that leprechauns do not exist; but is rather issuing a statement for proof.
    Of course its operating on faith. You cannot prove they do not exist so faith must be used to draw any conclusion.

    The claim isn't that god doesn't exist, the claim is that it does. So prove it. If not, then it doesn't take faith to not believe, but rather just a healthy dose of skepticism. If you start to collect convincing data, then ok; maybe I'll buy a faith sort of thing. But we're not at that point, and it's not faith but skepticism.
    Your error is assuming those who believe must prove to those who do not. That is your flaw. Those who believe choose to do so, they have no obligation to prove to anyone that that their belief has to go beyond belif in order to be justified. Likewise if you insist God does not exist, you are operating on faith because you cannot prove He doesn't exist.

    The only true non faith is Agnositc because they neither believe nor disbelieve.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #79
    Educator
    Anarcho-fascist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    T E X A S !
    Last Seen
    09-26-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,069
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by equivocationmaster View Post
    Of course its operating on faith. You cannot prove they do not exist so faith must be used to draw any conclusion.
    Your error is assuming those who believe must prove to those who do not. That is your flaw. Those who believe choose to do so, they have no obligation to prove to anyone that that their belief has to go beyond belif in order to be justified. Likewise if you insist God does not exist, you are operating on faith because you cannot prove He doesn't exist.

    The only true non faith is Agnositc because they neither believe nor disbelieve.
    It is logically impossible for someone to neither hold a belief nor not hold a belief. Something either is or it isn't, you can either believe a proposition is true, or you can not believe a proposition is true. With your definitions there are two separate propositions, "God exists" and "God does not exist". Obviously you can't agree with both propositions simultaneously, so that leaves three possibilities,
    1. You agree with the statement "God exists" (theist)
    2. You agree with the statement "God does not exist" (atheist)
    3. You don't agree with either of the statements (agnostic)


    By your definition many who call themselves atheists are "actually" agnostic. Wouldn't someone need to have evidence for or against god for a person to have a reason to be atheistic (your definition) or theistic?

  10. #80
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Teachers suspended for spraying non-Christian teacher w/ squirt bottle

    So is this a philosophy thread or are we discussing an actual event? Has theen been any evidence to support that the teacher was "preaching" atheism? I haven't seen any mention of it at all from either party involved, only extrapolations made by people trying to somehow justify the actions made by the other two teachers.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •