Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    WASHINGTON - A "headless" version of the influenza virus protected mice from several different strains of flu and may offer a step toward a so-called universal flu vaccine, researchers reported on Tuesday.

    They identified a piece of the virus that appears to be the same even among mutated strains, and found a way to make it into a vaccine.
    You know, while we are all bashing each other over politics, a piece of news occasionally appears that we can all agree on and celebrate together. Looks like a vaccine for ALL flues, mutated or not, is just around the corner. Since flu kills, on the average, 36,000 Americans per year, this piece of news is huge. So far, the vaccine works perfectly on mice, and scientists believe that it will work equally well on humans.

    So, while we continue to bash each other over just about everything else, let's take a time out, and have a beer together over something that, while not political, is nevertheless interesting and very good, not to mention something that transcends political lines. See, we DO have some common ground, after all.

    Article is here
    .
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-26-10 at 02:48 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,157

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Somehow Obama will find a way to screw this up.

    *Kidding!*

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Somehow Obama will find a way to screw this up.

    *Kidding!*
    The flu caused 9/11 so clearly it is Bush's fault!

    This is pretty awesome. I hope it works out.

    edit: Also I feel this is appropriate to the thread.
    http://pandemic3.com/
    Last edited by Deuce; 05-26-10 at 05:57 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Hey guys. How about commenting on the vaccine itself, instead of trolling, or joking against either Bush or Obama. I am sure that neither of them are viruses, so it can't be either one's fault, can it? I am sure that we can discuss this without making it political, can't we? Or can we?
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-26-10 at 06:15 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #5
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    I am inclined to see the after or side effects after Obama has used it, it may improve him, although that is hard if not impossible to believe.

  6. #6
    Advisor Pitwolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-09-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    456

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Don't take it !!! Doesn't anyone watch V ????



    My son: "Mom? Don't you have a butt to fix?"
    كافر

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    I am inclined to see the after or side effects after Obama has used it, it may improve him, although that is hard if not impossible to believe.
    I knew one of those anti-vaccination loonies would show up.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Very nice.
    The jokes too.

    It's going to blow a huge hole in some pharma's bottom line.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    The idea behind it is interesting, but I don't think flu vaccinations are necessary for the majority of the population. I find our society takes an outside-in approach to our bodies in that we focus on the route of pathogens and dissecting viral RNA in order to work towards cures.

    An inside-out approach is better when it comes to the flu. If you maintain a healthy lifestyle then your natural defenses will be at their peak and you will have a minuscule chance of contracting the flu.

    Also, even if this vaccine presents a base RNA which can let your body adapt to X number of strains, it will never be universal because the flu will always mutate. Research and development almost always develops conflicts with clinical experience (which is why clinical practitioners and researchers often butt heads within the medical world). On paper it probably looks like a universal vaccine but research conditions are so standardized that it can't account for every variable.

    In short, I think it's a novel idea, but not a lasting one.

  10. #10
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: ‘Universal’ flu vaccine moves ahead

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The idea behind it is interesting, but I don't think flu vaccinations are necessary for the majority of the population. I find our society takes an outside-in approach to our bodies in that we focus on the route of pathogens and dissecting viral RNA in order to work towards cures.

    An inside-out approach is better when it comes to the flu. If you maintain a healthy lifestyle then your natural defenses will be at their peak and you will have a minuscule chance of contracting the flu.

    Also, even if this vaccine presents a base RNA which can let your body adapt to X number of strains, it will never be universal because the flu will always mutate. Research and development almost always develops conflicts with clinical experience (which is why clinical practitioners and researchers often butt heads within the medical world). On paper it probably looks like a universal vaccine but research conditions are so standardized that it can't account for every variable.

    In short, I think it's a novel idea, but not a lasting one.
    A disease cannot mutate if it has no viable hosts. Your opinion is objectively wrong. As in, literally kills people wrong. Yes, a healthy lifestyle helps your body fight off a flu, but a vaccine prevents it entirely. More importantly, the vaccine can prevent you from spreading the disease to others. No matter how in-shape you are, you are always capable of spreading the disease to a child or an old person, the very people who are at risk of death from the flu. Or people taking immunosuppressants due to organ transplant or people with compromised immune systems.

    The short answer: Smallpox would like a word with you, sir.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •