Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

  1. #11
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    ^^Non-government.
    Thank you.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #12
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Most experts believed Obama would be a post racial president and good for America.
    My they were proven wrong in a hurry, weren't they?
    Changing the subject to race now?

    BTW... How much of that stimuli was put to use?

    End of story.

    CBO: Obama stimulus harmful over long haul - Washington Times
    The idea is to sacrifice some of a future boom to stabilize the short term collapse. I'll accept a .3% GDP drop over ten years to keep the recession from becoming a depression. Good cherry-picking though.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #13
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The idea is to sacrifice some of a future boom to stabilize the short term collapse. I'll accept a .3% GDP drop over ten years to keep the recession from becoming a depression. Good cherry-picking though.
    That scenario blows, seriously. You want to sacrifice production for 10 years just so that we don't have a depression for a year or two? You don't want quality of life to improve?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #14
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,452
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Changing the subject to race now?
    If you had noticed, it was used to make a parallel point.
    You did not notice?
    That's OK, I know sometimes it's difficult to comprehend brilliant debate tactics.

    The idea is to sacrifice some of a future boom to stabilize the short term collapse. I'll accept a .3% GDP drop over ten years to keep the recession from becoming a depression. Good cherry-picking though.
    This type of thinking brought along the Real Depression.

    And this "prediction/tradeoff" is about as reliable and phony as the surplus to eternity BS Cliton/Algore/Edwards tried to sell back in 2000.

    Surplus went poof? Why? It didn't exist except as a figment of their imaginations.

    Tax cutting, government trimming, regulation elimination works every time, everywhere... because we are individuals and it appeals to us. My labor and property is not yours. You didn't do squat to earn it, and that is the problem. Those that have money to invest can find a whole bunch of other places to invest or park their coin... waiting for the day Obi and his Marxist Klan depart 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. In fact, they might not only want to park their coin elsewhere, they may move their entire business to more friendly shores.

    I think we have sacrificed enough.
    Of our money, our rights/freedoms.
    I think it is time we go back to the quaint notion of Limited Government.
    Personal Responsibility.
    Charity.

    Not government coercion and theft for redistribution.
    No forcing banks to make bad loan after bad loan.
    No more government entities that have scant oversight, do not have to report like a public company and pay out truck loads of cash to people like Obama; Fred & Fannie's #1 recipient.

    Cut taxes, gut regulations and let us live as free people.

    It is what will drive the recovery, just look at what happened when Reagan did it. He built the foundation for decades of growth from a foundation of Stagflation. Reagan's foundation is being pissed on by our Resident.

    Tell me, why do they tax smokes and booze at high levels?
    To discourage the behavior.
    You want to grow the economy? Cut the class warfare BS. Encourage prosperity, for it is as JFK said... a rising tide raises all boats.

    Obama is a Discourager.
    An American Constitutional Infidel.
    America's Enema.

    He's doing it all backwards... and it is showing spectacular results.
    Spectacularly awful.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-25-10 at 04:56 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #15
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Reagan's foundation is being pissed on by our Resident.
    You do realize that even if Obama lets the Bush tax cuts expire, his rates would still be lower than Reagan's, right (at least through the vast majority of his term)?

    Ronald Reagan would be proud of Obama?s tax rates- Top Stocks - MSN Money

    The Tax Foundation - U.S. Federal Individual Income Tax Rates History, 1913-2010

    And you do realize that shortly after the tax cut reducing the rate to 28% on the highest earners, we immediately entered a recession which led to the MASSIVE deficits under HW Bush, which forced his hand into pushing the rate back up.

    And you do realize that if the Bush tax cuts lapse, they will only return to the rates of the 1990s - the biggest economic boom in American history?

    And if you'll read the link I posted earlier in this thread - the American tax burden actually IS the lowest in contemporary history.

    So who are all these people who are paying such exorbitant taxes, because they sure as hell don't run in my circles (and I know some fairly wealthy folks here in Nashville).

    So don't simply give me that it's "common sense" - I want you to supply evidence that your assertions are correct that Obama's tax rates are somehow outrageous, when they're actually LOWER than Reagan's were - and that the proposed increase in the capital gains tax would do this:

    Here’s the scorecard again so there’s no confusion: Reagan was at 20% for capital gains and 28% for dividends. Obama is at 20% for capital gains and 20% for dividends.
    (Source)

    It would still be lower than it EVER was under Reagan.

  6. #16
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,452
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You do realize that even if Obama lets the Bush tax cuts expire, his rates would still be lower than Reagan's, right (at least through the vast majority of his term)?
    You don't think Reagan would have wanted to slash taxes further?
    He was dealing with a bunch of lefties, and to accomplish what he did... without any assistance from the media... was pretty amazing.

    And you do realize that shortly after the tax cut reducing the rate to 28% on the highest earners, we immediately entered a recession which led to the MASSIVE deficits under HW Bush, which forced his hand into pushing the rate back up.
    Bush caved to Democrats as he wanted to get along.
    Big mistake.
    The photo of the Dems surrounding HW after the hike is similar to the one with W signing the Patriot Act.
    Then the long knives came out.
    Why don't R's ever learn?

    And you do realize that if the Bush tax cuts lapse, they will only return to the rates of the 1990s - the biggest economic boom in American history?
    Tech BUBBLE.
    Bubbles are OK, but let's not think that 35 to 39% tax rates are stimulating.

    What happened after the bubble burst? 911.
    Bush cut taxes and we came out of it OK.

    Obi wants to spread the wealth around.
    $200,000 is now a rich person.
    Back when the dreaded income tax was established, it was only to hit a fraction of the top 1%.
    The wealthiest.
    My how we had a rapid case of mission (socialism) creep.

    So who are all these people who are paying such exorbitant taxes, because they sure as hell don't run in my circles (and I know some fairly wealthy folks here in Nashville).
    State, Fed... allthe other BS and soon you pay over half your cash to the Pigs in DC and other State Crapitols.

    So don't simply give me that it's "common sense" - I want you to supply evidence that your assertions are correct that Obama's tax rates are somehow outrageous, when they're actually LOWER than Reagan's were - and that the proposed increase in the capital gains tax would do this:
    Obama's taxes in one small sliver is lower. The remainder is higher, and the burdens on business are ever increasing.


    LOL...
    No that's not only funny but absolutely hilarious in two ways, especially from a guy (Obi) who is economically illiterate and has voiced the following:

    YouTube- Obama: Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - "For Purposes of Fairness"

    Obi: Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - "For Purposes of Fairness"


    (Did you hear what he said as well... he believes in pay-as-you-go... ROTFLMFAO)

    Reagan reduced tax rates from a high of 70% to 28%.
    He cut regulations.
    It was this that freed cash and generated risk taking and jobs.

    Dems squealed when rates went to 35%.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-25-10 at 05:58 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If you had noticed, it was used to make a parallel point.
    You did not notice?
    That's OK, I know sometimes it's difficult to comprehend brilliant debate tactics.


    This type of thinking brought along the Real Depression.

    And this "prediction/tradeoff" is about as reliable and phony as the surplus to eternity BS Cliton/Algore/Edwards tried to sell back in 2000.

    Surplus went poof? Why? It didn't exist except as a figment of their imaginations.

    Tax cutting, government trimming, regulation elimination works every time, everywhere... because we are individuals and it appeals to us. My labor and property is not yours. You didn't do squat to earn it, and that is the problem. Those that have money to invest can find a whole bunch of other places to invest or park their coin... waiting for the day Obi and his Marxist Klan depart 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. In fact, they might not only want to park their coin elsewhere, they may move their entire business to more friendly shores.

    I think we have sacrificed enough.
    Of our money, our rights/freedoms.
    I think it is time we go back to the quaint notion of Limited Government.
    Personal Responsibility.
    Charity.

    Not government coercion and theft for redistribution.
    No forcing banks to make bad loan after bad loan.
    No more government entities that have scant oversight, do not have to report like a public company and pay out truck loads of cash to people like Obama; Fred & Fannie's #1 recipient.

    Cut taxes, gut regulations and let us live as free people.

    It is what will drive the recovery, just look at what happened when Reagan did it. He built the foundation for decades of growth from a foundation of Stagflation. Reagan's foundation is being pissed on by our Resident.

    Tell me, why do they tax smokes and booze at high levels?
    To discourage the behavior.
    You want to grow the economy? Cut the class warfare BS. Encourage prosperity, for it is as JFK said... a rising tide raises all boats.

    Obama is a Discourager.
    An American Constitutional Infidel.
    America's Enema.

    He's doing it all backwards... and it is showing spectacular results.
    Spectacularly awful.

    .
    Obama is doing everything right and the whole world will turn into a magical land of rainbows and sunshine!

    See what I did there? I made an "argument" that is supported by just as much fact as yours! All you're doing is spewing partisan rhetoric regurgitated from radio talk show hosts and Fox News. Why are you even here?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #18
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Taxes are at historic lows!

    Americans' Tax Burden Near Historic Low - washingtonpost.com

    Which is, of course, also predictable during a recession, but I just thought I'd play along with the hyperbole.
    I guess the tax cuts haven't expired yet, so stay tuned.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #19
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,452
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    See what I did there? I made an "argument" that is supported by just as much fact as yours! All you're doing is spewing partisan rhetoric regurgitated from radio talk show hosts and Fox News. Why are you even here?
    Do you know I rarely watch FOXNEWS (where I live they don't broadcast it), and do not have a whole lot of time for talk radio?
    Can we say Knee-Jerk?

    I think there are a few stellar folks that do a tremendous job of defending the founders and foundation of this country and ground their beliefs in the Constitution.
    You know, the document Obama and Libs swore to protect and defend so help me God?
    It is true, we have a Constitution, though libs seem to think it's an irrelevant document.

    You know, this place eats too much time... which is why I drop in sporadically after months of absence... only to disappear for months.
    Somebody has to pay for the Obama's army of free loaders.

    Nice try, but try again.
    Less jerk of the knee might work.

    Sincerely,
    From a former Commi Lib.

    PS. Why am I here?
    To make amends for being a Commi Lib retard in my youth.
    How's that? Good enough for ya?

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-25-10 at 06:23 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Private pay shrinks to historic lows

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    You don't think Reagan would have wanted to slash taxes further?
    He was dealing with a bunch of lefties, and to accomplish what he did... without any assistance from the media... was pretty amazing.
    You speak to only what you think he might have wanted to do. Not to what he DID do.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Bush caved to Democrats as he wanted to get along.
    Big mistake.
    The photo of the Dems surrounding HW after the hike is similar to the one with W signing the Patriot Act.
    Then the long knives came out.
    Why don't R's ever learn?
    Uh...The Patriot Act was signed when Republicans were in the majority, if you'll recall. Did some Dems sign it? Yeah. And it was stupid of them; but your Republicans are the ones who made it law initially.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Tech BUBBLE.
    Bubbles are OK, but let's not think that 35 to 39% tax rates are stimulating.
    Nor were they debilitating. That's my point. Not that I suggest that our rates should ever get up there again, but our economy shuffled along quite nicely when the highest rate was 90%. Still plenty of rich people then. Again, I would never suggest that, but we survived and even thrived with rates that high. We thrived when rates were 39%. To suggest we'll suddenly collapse when they return to that rate is hyperbole and nothing but.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    What happened after the bubble burst? 911.
    Bush cut taxes and we came out of it OK.
    Until we weren't okay just five and half years later. You'll recall this collapse occurred starting in 2007. Bush was still in the White House, and the Dems had just taken control of Congress (and passed next to no legislation for two years).

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Obi wants to spread the wealth around.
    $200,000 is now a rich person.
    Back when the dreaded income tax was established, it was only to hit a fraction of the top 1%.
    The wealthiest.
    My how we had a rapid case of mission (socialism) creep.
    And "rich" during Reagan's time was $93,000 for singles and $128,000 for families. (Source)

    Also, the top rate has never been set based on percentiles. It's always been set based on income.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    State, Fed... all the other BS and soon you pay over half your cash to the Pigs in DC and other State Crapitols.

    Obama's taxes in one small sliver is lower. The remainder is higher, and the burdens on business are ever increasing.
    Sources? You've got to give me facts or I will not believe you.

    I've shown you sources (from investment magazines and conservative foundations, no less) that show that tax rates are LOWER now than they were under nearly all of Reagan's presidency. You're simply saying something you've apparently heard somewhere and asking me to accept it.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    LOL...
    No that's not only funny but absolutely hilarious in two ways, especially from a guy (Obi) who is economically illiterate and has voiced the following:

    YouTube- Obama: Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - "For Purposes of Fairness"

    Obi: Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - "For Purposes of Fairness"


    (Did you hear what he said as well... he believes in pay-as-you-go... ROTFLMFAO)
    Again, you've proven that he said he was going to raise it. And I told you that he was. He's going to raise it to 20% (up from 15% and to the EXACT number that Reagan set it at); and he's going to raise the tax on dividends to 20% (8% points lower than under Reagan). I have a source. You have a youtube video that doesn't refute my source. It only has Obama explaining why he's doing exactly what I said he was going to do - at a rate that Reagan would have approved - because it's lower than Reagan's rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Reagan reduced tax rates from a high of 70% to 28%.
    He cut regulations.
    It was this that freed cash and generated risk taking and jobs.
    Not entirely true. The top rate was 33% for income between $70,000 and $150,000 (approximating). Then it dropped back to 28% for revenue above $150,00 (again approximate). (Source)

    Additionally, your argument ignores that Reagan raised the payroll taxes in 1983 and categorical taxes several times (TERFA in 1982 is one example). (Source)

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Dems squealed when rates went to 35%.

    .
    Because, perhaps, it was done while our government was paying for two simultaneous wars?

    The simple fact of the matter is this: Obama's tax rates are comparable to Reagan's. All the numbers say this.

    You've yet to provide me with numbers that say otherwise - only speculation on what Reagan might have done. And the average family in 2009 had the lowest tax burden in contemporary history, as cited in a previous post.

    It just seems to me that those who seem to worship Ronnie's legacy fail to look at the actual facts on the ground that even if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to lapse, the rates are NOT exorbitant nor will they destroy the nation. Here's a write-up in Forbes that basically says to stop getting your panties in a bunch about it - because it's not factually accurate that if the rates are allowed to rise it will destroy job growth, investment growth, or the economy. Read it and look at his numbers. They're real. Not speculation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •