Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 263

Thread: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

  1. #251
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Not a proper analogy (again). The promotion/non-promotion of religion is a 1st Amendment concern.
    Many mis- interpret the Constitution, in fact probably along the same lines as do the scriptures.


    j-mac
    Last edited by j-mac; 05-30-10 at 01:41 PM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Not a proper analogy (again). The promotion/non-promotion of religion is a 1st Amendment concern.
    The the promotion/non-promotion of slavary is a 14th amendment issue.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Jefferson and his protégé. A drunk and slave owner and his pupil.
    Your point? Washington owned slaves too. That was the social norm for the wealthy at the time. I can find plenty of similar quotes from the other founders too. None of them were fundamentalists, they were inspired mainly by the Enlightenment and Age of Reason. Sure most of them believed in a personal god, that was also the social norm for the time, plus the theory of evolution didn't even exist yet.


    We should definitely listen to them.
    Yeah we shouldn't listen to the author of the Declaration of Independance just because he wasn't a fundamentalist like yourself. But we should listen to you vs. Jefferson? That's rich.

    When it came to political thinking he was good, as a man, not so much.
    I like how you make it your place to attack the character of one of our Founders just because he doesn't share your religious views.

  4. #254
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,491

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Your point? Washington owned slaves too. That was the social norm for the wealthy at the time. I can find plenty of similar quotes from the other founders too. None of them were fundamentalists, they were inspired mainly by the Enlightenment and Age of Reason. Sure most of them believed in a personal god, that was also the social norm for the time, plus the theory of evolution didn't even exist yet.
    This has nothing to do with my meaning or post.

    Thomas Jefferson was a great man, but a personal failure. This was my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Yeah we shouldn't listen to the author of the Declaration of Independance just because he wasn't a fundamentalist like yourself. But we should listen to you vs. Jefferson? That's rich.
    This is off topic and again has little to do with the meaning of my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I like how you make it your place to attack the character of one of our Founders just because he doesn't share your religious views.
    Please point out for us how my religious views had anything even remotely to do with this thread. I have in fact stated my views have nothing to do with the thread or anything I posted.

    Keep flailing about in the dark though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #255
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The the promotion/non-promotion of slavary is a 14th amendment issue.
    It is a settled issue.
    Do not write in this space!

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    It is a settled issue.
    As is the 1st Amendment, though you seem to be unaware of that fact.

    Offering an elective on the cultural impact of the bible does not violate the 1st.

    If you can perhaps provide hard evidence that such a class establishes a national religion or gives a church (name names) municipal power, then and only then will I be willing to reconsider my position.

    Until you can provide actual proof, however, you may as well be arguing against evolution.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-31-10 at 01:32 AM.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Many mis- interpret the Constitution, in fact probably along the same lines as do the scriptures.


    j-mac
    And many who think they got it right are the very same ones who got it wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #258
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As is the 1st Amendment, though you seem to be unaware of that fact.

    Offering an elective on the cultural impact of the bible does not violate the 1st.


    If you can perhaps provide hard evidence that such a class establishes a national religion or gives a church (name names) municipal power, then and only then will I be willing to reconsider my position.

    Until you can provide actual proof, however, you may as well be arguing against evolution.

    Slavery is settled, but people constantly chop away at separation.

    The Texas thing is a foot in the door.

    i can't post on this subject any more tonight. It's complicated and I'm too tired and zoning out. Maybe we can pick up tomorrow or Tuesday, if necessary.
    Do not write in this space!

  9. #259
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    One other response to you.

    Thomas Jefferson once wrote a book coined 'The Jefferson Bible.' He called it The Life And Times Of Jesus Christ, if I remember right.

    In this book, Jefferson re-wrote the story of Jesus, omitting all reference to divinity and the performing of miracles. So, in his book, Jesus was a good man with an admirable philosophy, but not the son of God.

    Would any Christian you know or have ever known have done this editing to the story of Jesus?
    You are more than welcome to prove your assertions exactly as you made them. Please prove that he wrote his Bible to show that God does not exist.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #260
    Student CrazyMcCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    08-27-13 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    233

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    Good.



    Also, good. It is true in many areas.



    Heaven forbid that we actually teach what the influences of our Founding Fathers were...



    Heaven forbid that we teach students what the government of the US REALLY is...



    Heaven forbid we actually teach some BASIC economic understanding...



    Well, duhh...
    I hope you were sarcastic..

    This is scary..

    The big problem with teaching OPINIONS in schools
    IS THAT IS OPINIONS

    Opinions == not facts

    Not facts being tought == misinformation

    Misinformation == progogadna

    Propoganda == **** this I am leaving this ****ed up nation..

    I cant even post a proper resoponce I am so angry..
    'DON'T WORRY SIR, I'M FROM THE INTERNET.'

    THE TRUTH ABOUT THE UN ( Click on the UN to see! )

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •