Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 263

Thread: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

  1. #11
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) and the Common Era (C.E.)

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #12
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Who cares? On the chance that those kids go to college, some liberal professor will most certainly drill that information right out of 'em. Personally I think this whole issue is overhyped, anyway.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I agreed with the cited alterations to the curriculum. That does not imply agreement with the adjectives and adjective phrases chosen by the author of the article. I quoted them from the article to maintain some semblance of continuity in the quoted passage.
    To agree with the changes, you almost have to agree with the cited adjectives and reasoning. I would like to see you offer another reading.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) and the Common Era (C.E.)
    Thanks I guess that I am more used to B.c, AND A.D.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Who cares? On the chance that those kids go to college, some liberal professor will most certainly drill that information right out of 'em. Personally I think this whole issue is overhyped, anyway.
    Well, I agree it is over hyped. I just wish any school board would make more sense than the Texas school board does much of the time.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #16
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    For the love of all that is holy, the FOUNDING FATHERS weren't inspired by Christians notions. They were DEIST get that in too your notions.
    They were influenced by both. BTW, notions of separation of Church and State FAR PRECEED the Enlightenment. The Catholic Church noted the difference between secular and religious authorities before AD 500 and the Anabaptists of the Protestant Reformation (predating the Enlightenment by about 150 years) also called for Separation of Church and State.

    What does B.C.E, and C.E stand for anyways?
    Before Common Era and Common Era

    It is actually a Constitution-based federal republic with strong democratic tradition soruce
    Though more "democratic" today than it was in 1789.

    So this decline in the value of the U.S dollar when did this happen? Because Last I check the U.s dollar is still the same.
    The value of the dollar is NOT the same, either internally in the United States or externally. It fluxuates over time. Right now, the US dollar is rising vis a vis the Euro largely because of the problems i nthe Eurozone economies right now, but it is pretty weak against many Asian currencies, including the Japanese Yen and the New Taiwan Dollar.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #17
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    To agree with the changes, you almost have to agree with the cited adjectives and reasoning. I would like to see you offer another reading.
    The reasoning perhaps, but the adjectives were chosen by the writer of the article, thereby inserting his own leanings in the reporting of the news.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #18
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    Thanks I guess that I am more used to B.c, AND A.D.

    Most people are. I wonder how many people are even familiar with the origins of those two terms?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #19
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Most people are. I wonder how many people are even familiar with the origins of those two terms?
    BC-before computers?
    AD=after digital?



  10. #20
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    History books are generally written by academics (except for the likes of pseudohistories like those present by Menzies). Nearly all of the history books I have in my personal library use B.C. and A.D.
    Really? What year are they from? I have the latest edition of 'Exploring History'. B.C.E. across the board.

    What is wrong with giving the students the evidence and allow them to make their OWN assessment.
    Only that is not what this is doing and you're being dishonest. They are starting with the assumption that the UN is actively trying to undermine US law and authority. They are starting off with bias. So how the **** could they possibly be giving students 'the evidence'? Did you read your own article? Here:

    They also required that public school students in Texas evaluate efforts by global organizations such as the United Nations to undermine U.S. sovereignty.
    They are telling kids 'The U.N. is trying to undermine U.S. sovereignty.' - Here's the cases [ not stated in books: we think] represent this.' That is NOT providing evidence. That is creating a slant in thought.

    I did disagree with that point in a different forum.

    This is a point where I disagree. While the Christian heritage (though Calvin himself was a theocrat like the Puritans were and was an important influence for said Puritans), Jefferson was of course an important influence. But remember, Jefferson himself was influenced by both the thinking and philosophy of the French Enlightenment as well as the Christian heritage of the colonists.
    Really? You disagreed with it? Funny how you failed to mention that little tid-bit of information. Irrelevant of who you might think Jefferson was influenced by his own work has been described as having influenced others.

    If they said 'Father Hidalgo of Mexico was influenced by the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas' fine. **** it. I'll even give you Bartolome De Las Casas. Both those guys are huge. In Latin America. But Jefferson being replaced by St. Thomas Aquinas in terms of influencing revolutions? Are you serious?

    Liberals of the 1770s and liberals of the 2010s are hardly analogous.
    They won't be calling them liberals. Which is the point I'm trying to get through to you.

    I hope they do in economics class. I would if I taught the course (I am certified to teach the class, but have never taught it in high school). You seem to have this mistaken impression that I have some need to defend the economic policies of the previous president.
    Only they won't. And you'd have to think we here are ****ing morons if we believe for one second that your hopes and dreams and whatever other aspiration it is you have for conservatives revising history books as they see fit are going to teach that the dollar dropped 40% during a period where 2 branches of government were controlled mostly by Republicans. You really would have to think that.

    I have a lot against "ivory tower" academia. Believe me, there is a huge difference between the ivory tower types of academics who have no clue what is happening in the real world and those who actually have a clue reharding the PRACTICAL applications and use of the research they do. This was VERY clear to me when I was a grad student and a primary reason I did NOT continue on to get my PhD.
    Oh I have no doubt that the guy who defends Pius XII for not openly condemning Nazi Germany would have a problem with 'ivory tower' academia. You really don't have to tell me twice.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •