Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 263

Thread: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

  1. #111
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    Yes I have read everything in your post about that what I was replying too I just got on, and saw the reply.
    The fact is you said I need to read the declaration of Independence to get what the founding fathers wanted, and put me in my place ahahahhahahaha another good one.
    Again you have no clue.

    The first comment here was using your own words in a completely different post, and I was being sarcastic.

    Since you did not respond to that original post (although you found time to thank other posts in the same thread right after), with anything logical or even related for that matter. Yes you indeed were put in your place.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    Blackdog you are being the partisan Christan here, since I know what the founding fathers based it on was mason teachings not Christan notions.

    Hell half of the things that are in the Constitution is based on Freemasonry Teachings.
    Other sources for your educational needs
    Partisan literally means organized into political parties. Since I am non denominational, you are wrong again as Christians are not a political party.

    Here we go again. Please point out where I have stated that this had no impact on our history? Or our government? This is nothing but red herring argument that has literally nothing to do with anything I posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    I can be nice, and I can be an asshat as well when people say they put me in my place which you didn't.
    And yet you still have not responded to either post with anything relevant to what was typed. You have however made plenty of excuses.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    The thing is from you posting is that you said I need to read the declaration of independence to find out what the founding fathers wanted, and posted some stupid ass books about how Speartion of Church and state were lies ect.
    Separation of church and state is a misnomer. It was mentioned one time in a letter about a treaty. That's it. People ran with it although it is not a law and not a part of the Constitution.

    The only real law is that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, thats it. Nothing about government and religion shall have nothing to do with each other. As we found out with the faith based initiative, it is OK for the government to give money to charity's who are faith based. So much for your complete separation.

    Do we have some kind of separation of church and state? Yes of course. Do we want a theocracy? No. Were the founders influenced by Christianity? In allot of cases yes. This does not however take anything from other influences.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    calming THAT The Danbury letter was written too tell a lie which I doubt you really know that it was lie in fact I highly doubt it was a lie.
    Please point out where I said or inferred it was a lie????

    Please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    Edit: Too replace the conspiracy nut link with a normal link I have found.
    Yea.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-23-10 at 02:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #112
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Eh, this is absolutely ridiculous in anything but a high school class, and even then it'd have to be looked at very closely if its giving an accurate view. Liberal slanted teaching only is bad....Conservative slanted teaching only is ALSO bad. IF you're going to try to "balance" something you better actually BALANCE it, not just tilt it the other way.
    This is why you are both my favorite and least favorite conservative to argue with. My favorite since you actually look at things from outside your own views and arrive at sensible conclusions, and my least favorite since it's so hard to argue against those conclusions.

    Liberal or conservative bias in textbooks are both bad. Striving to give a complete view is how we should be doing things. When a school board setting standards for the school splits on ideological lines, it scares me for the future.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #113
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    -my emphasis-

    The Danbury letter was written for this purpose, you claim?

    For which Treaty of Tripoli was this letter written?
    Look it up, what I look like a high school teacher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #114
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Look it up, what I look like a high school teacher?

    Well, I don't need to look it up. I know the answer. Since you won't give it, I will:

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    #2 The letter was to convince a Muslim government we did not care about the religion they followed. This so they would sign the treaty of Tripoli.
    The Danbury letter was written in 1802.

    You say it was written so the Muslims would sign the Treaty of Tripoli.

    The Treaty of Tripoli was signed in 1796 and 1797.

    You are wrong.
    Do not write in this space!

  5. #115
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Well, I don't need to look it up. I know the answer. Since you won't give it, I will:

    The Danbury letter was written in 1802.

    You say it was written so the Muslims would sign the Treaty of Tripoli.

    The Treaty of Tripoli was signed in 1796 and 1797.

    You are wrong.
    I was not talking about that letter.

    Two different incidents. I was talking about 1797 the United States Senate ratified a treaty with Tripoli that stated in Article 11:

    "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;"

    As for the Danbury letter, this articles pretty much clears up what really happened.

    We must confront the uncomfortable fact that, for much of American history, the phrase "separation of church and state" and its attendant metaphoric formulation, "a wall of separation," have often been expressions of exclusion, intolerance, and bigotry. These phrases have been used to silence people and communities of faith and to exclude them from full participation in public life.

    In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, establishmentarians sought to frighten Americans by deliberately mischaracterizing the religious dissenters' aspirations for disestablishment and liberty of conscience as advocacy for a separation of religion from public life that would inevitably lead to political atheism and rampant licentiousness. This was a political smear. Religious dissenters, indeed, agitated for disestablishment, but like most Americans, they did not wish to separate religious values from public life and policy.

    In the bitter presidential campaign of 1800, Jeffersonian Republicans cynically advocated the rhetoric and policy of separation, not to promote religious worship and expression, but to silence the Federalist clergy who had vigorously denounced Jefferson as an infidel and atheist. (Two centuries later, the American Civil Liberties Union and its allies continue to use these phrases to silence people and communities of faith that seek to participate in the public marketplace of ideas armed with ideas informed by spiritual values.)
    - Daniel L. Dreisbach, D.Phil. (Oxford University) and J.D. (University of Virginia), is a Professor of Justice, Law, and Society at American University in Washington, D.C. He is the author of Thomas Jefferson and the Wall of Separation Between Church and State (New York University Press, 2002).
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-23-10 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #116
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    #2 The letter was to convince a Muslim government we did not care about the religion they followed. This so they would sign the treaty of Tripoli.
    Actually, the Arabic version of the Treaty of Tripoli probably never had that article in it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #117
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Actually, the Arabic version of the Treaty of Tripoli probably never had that article in it.
    Fact is we don't know for certain, although I do agree. It doesn't really matter what the Arabic version of the Treaty said, because only the English version was read to and ratified by the United States Senate.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-23-10 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #118
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Fact is we don't know for certain, although I do agree. It doesn't really matter what the Arabic version of the Treaty said, because only the English version was read to and ratified by the United States Senate.
    But it would have been the Arabic version that was ratified by Tripoli. Treaties only become valid when ratified by BOTH sides. If one side ratifies and one doesn't, it isn't binding on either side. Now, this is a unique (or at least highly unusual) situation where the two sides ratified two different versions of the treaty, but it is safe to imply that only the provisions in the treaty as ratified by EACH party to the treaty could be regarded as properly binding under public international law.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #119
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But it would have been the Arabic version that was ratified by Tripoli. Treaties only become valid when ratified by BOTH sides. If one side ratifies and one doesn't, it isn't binding on either side.
    The statement was not really relevant to the treaty as far as international law goes. It was just a statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Now, this is a unique (or at least highly unusual) situation where the two sides ratified two different versions of the treaty, but it is safe to imply that only the provisions in the treaty as ratified by EACH party to the treaty could be regarded as properly binding under public international law.
    Like I said I agree, but it changes nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #120
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    One other response to you.

    Thomas Jefferson once wrote a book coined 'The Jefferson Bible.' He called it The Life And Times Of Jesus Christ, if I remember right.

    In this book, Jefferson re-wrote the story of Jesus, omitting all reference to divinity and the performing of miracles. So, in his book, Jesus was a good man with an admirable philosophy, but not the son of God.

    Would any Christian you know or have ever known have done this editing to the story of Jesus?
    So you have no evidence and basing this purely off memory. Come back when you have actual proof.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •