Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

  1. #21
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How do you know?
    Do you know anything about NH other than it is one of the most beautiful states on the Eastern seaboard?

    Learn what a strawman is.
    I know what it is, hence I can detect them when you make them.

    Well then you should have no problem with this law. You see no problem with people being stopped and asked for documentation papers simply because they seem like they're not from here. I have no problem with anchor babies being removed with their parents. What are we discussing?
    Of course I have a problem with this law. The US CONSTITUTION states that anyone born in the US is a US citizen. That is a bit different than being asked for documentation. Also, the AZ law does NOT empower Law Enforcement Agents to simply stop over people and ask for their documentation papers (though by law they are legally required to possess them), it requires them to stop them for another legal reason first before asking. If you don't have identification, that may be one reason for reasonable suspicion...

    As for "anchor babies", they are U.S. citizens. That is NOT the same as requiring documentation from immigants as they are NOT immigrants in the first place.

    Since when is it up to local police agencies to enforce immigration laws? K thanks Bye!
    They are responsible for upholding the law. The State government is now saying that this now falls under state law. In the absense of action from the federal government, the State has the right to protect its own citizens.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #22
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Do you know anything about NH other than it is one of the most beautiful states on the Eastern seaboard?
    Still waiting for you to show us how you know.

    I know what it is, hence I can detect them when you make them.
    Obviously not because at no point did I misinterpret your position.

    If I had attributed an argument to you,
    Of course I have a problem with this law. The US CONSTITUTION states that anyone born in the US is a US citizen. That is a bit different than being asked for documentation.
    The 4th disagrees with you.

    FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment

    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Also, the AZ law does NOT empower Law Enforcement Agents to simply stop over people and ask for their documentation papers (though by law they are legally required to possess them), it requires them to stop them for another legal reason first before asking. If you don't have identification, that may be one reason for reasonable suspicion...
    Sowwies. Your broad interpretations and vague wording aren't sufficient.

    As for "anchor babies", they are U.S. citizens. That is NOT the same as requiring documentation from immigants as they are NOT immigrants in the first place.
    They're the children of people who are here illegally. Their "citizenship" has been obtained by way of an illegal activity and thus invalid.

    They are responsible for upholding the law. The State government is now saying that this now falls under state law. In the absense of action from the federal government, the State has the right to protect its own citizens.
    If enforcing federal immigration laws falls under the duties of states - I see no reason for this not to.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #23
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    [quote=Hatuey;1058763886]Still waiting for you to show us how you know.[quote]

    Does NH have a problem with criminal activity of illegals? Do you hear New Hampshireites complaing about problems with illegals? Are there illegals in NH? Sure there are. Are they present in the numbers that they are in AZ? Of course not! Are they causing the law enforcement difficulties that they are in AZ? Of course not. That tells me that the government of NH does not need to take the drastic measures that AZ is. I do NOT believe in a one-size fits all solution to problems because problems are different in different states.

    Obviously not because at no point did I misinterpret your position.
    You are the master of misinterpretation.


    The 4th disagrees with you.
    The Fourth Amendment prohibits law enforcement officials from establishing the identity of people it pulls over for a traffic violation or any other suspected and observed violation of the law?!?!? That is new on me.

    Sowwies. Your broad interpretations and vague wording aren't sufficient.
    The wording in the law is quite specific.

    They're the children of people who are here illegally. Their "citizenship" has been obtained by way of an illegal activity and thus invalid.
    Perhaps YOU are the one in need of reading the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by 14th Article of Amendment, Section 1

    Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    Pretty explicit language.

    If enforcing federal immigration laws falls under the duties of states - I see no reason for this not to.
    You can't understand the difference between an explicit constitutional provision as the 14th Article of Amendment to the Constitution and the enforcement of a law that has been passed by both the Federal government of the United States and the State government of Arizona.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #24
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,539

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This is indeed a constitutional matter, enough said. However I'm sure some people are bound to come in to cheer in support of this possible state law.
    The constitution should be amended so that the status of the parents is the status of the child but I agree Arizona cannot unilaterally ignore the 14th amendment etc



  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    excuse me for interrupting y'all

    but this video is just TOO FUNNY for anyone to miss

    Arizona Sing-A-Long: Reading Helps You Know 
What You're Talking About | Jan Brewer

    please continue

  6. #26
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,539

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    excuse me for interrupting y'all

    but this video is just TOO FUNNY for anyone to miss

    Arizona Sing-A-Long: Reading Helps You Know 
What You're Talking About | Jan Brewer

    please continue
    bahahahahhahaha



  7. #27
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    In this, those supporting a state law to not recognize such birth certificates are going way too far. This is CLEARLY a violation of the U.S. constitution which grants U.S. citizenship to anyone born in the United States.

    Don't like this, work to change to Constitution. However, unlike the other two controversial laws (which I support), I can NOT support this proposal. It is blatently unconstitutional.
    I do not support this law because it is unconstitutional. However I do feel we need to amend this and require at least one parent to either be a legal US citizen or in the country lawfully.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,947

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    A child born in America is an American citizen.

    I bet he claims to be a constitutionalist, yet he wants to make a law that blatantly goes against it
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    In this, those supporting a state law to not recognize such birth certificates are going way too far. This is CLEARLY a violation of the U.S. constitution which grants U.S. citizenship to anyone born in the United States.

    Don't like this, work to change to Constitution. However, unlike the other two controversial laws (which I support), I can NOT support this proposal. It is blatently unconstitutional.
    That's fine but they should end exceptions for the parents of anchor babies.

  10. #30
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    That's fine but they should end exceptions for the parents of anchor babies.
    Would you care to explain what you mean? What exceptions are you referring to?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •