Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 330

Thread: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

  1. #211
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    The fact is this:

    Democrats know that the way to win in conservative districts is not to run a liberal. There are still conservative Democrats out there, after all.

    Republicans, being purists, insist on running only the most conservative candidates, which will never get them elected in liberal areas. There are no liberal Republicans any more.

    So what happened in this election? The people, when given a choice between two conservative candidates, chose the Democrat. Why? Because poll after poll shows that while they distrust both parties, they distrust Republicans even more.

    Backpedaling and pretending that the GOP never claimed they would win this and then trying to explain it away by saying "he's a conservative" cannot negate the fact that a Democrat won.

    The predictions of a great Republican takeover just haven't happened. (In fact, of the last 4 special elections, Democrats have won all of them.)
    Last edited by Groucho; 05-20-10 at 02:01 PM.

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    the fact is---for a dem to win in a 2 to 1 blue district he has to proclaim prominently his opposition to the president's pets

    at least in may of 2010, that is

    it is what it is

  3. #213
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    the fact is---for a dem to win in a 2 to 1 blue district he has to proclaim prominently his opposition to the president's pets

    at least in may of 2010, that is

    it is what it is
    This does not change the fact that the Republican party for more than a month prior to the election proclaimed this would be a Republican victory, and a harbinger for a Republican landslide in the fall. THIS is the genie the GOP let out of the bottle, and as hard as they try to put it back in the bottle, it's not going to happen. The GOP made a blunder with this, and it shows that, if they want more than very modest gains this fall, they are going to have to work hard instead of just mouthing off.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #214
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This does not change the fact that the Republican party for more than a month prior to the election proclaimed this would be a Republican victory, and a harbinger for a Republican landslide in the fall. THIS is the genie the GOP let out of the bottle, and as hard as they try to put it back in the bottle, it's not going to happen. The GOP made a blunder with this, and it shows that, if they want more than very modest gains this fall, they are going to have to work hard instead of just mouthing off.



    I disagree. I think this defeat is minimal given the other canidates right wing beliefs.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    whether republicans physically capture either or both houses really isn't gonna matter much

    if we don't take em, reds will come close

    which is just as good

    he already lacks the votes he needs to win reg reform, climate, immigration

    indeed, the party in power can't even PROPOSE A BUDGET

    LOL!

    and that's with FIFTY NINE senators and a 40 seat plurality for ms pelosi

    if the palsied speakeress loses 30 or so seats, there're gonna be an awful lot of D's who don't dare, in addition

    there already are

    mr critz only makes one more

    (mr oliverio would be another except he's probably gonna lose his general)

    question: how do you think america is gonna react when the entire nation learns this summer that the party in power---IN TIMES LIKE THESE---cannot even put forth A BUDGET?

    Next year's budget sinking in deep red ink - The Hill's On The Money

    Hoyer: Dems might not pass a budget - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

    party on, progressives

    represent

  6. #216
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This does not change the fact that the Republican party for more than a month prior to the election proclaimed this would be a Republican victory.
    link, please?

  7. #217
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I disagree. I think this defeat is minimal given the other canidates right wing beliefs.
    But here is the key - This is NOT what the talking heads were saying prior to the election. They were saying the exact opposite.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #218
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But here is the key - This is NOT what the talking heads were saying prior to the election. They were saying the exact opposite.



    I don't pay talking heads much mind...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #219
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I disagree. I think this defeat is minimal given the other canidates right wing beliefs.
    A good argument can be made that you are correct. HOWEVER, and this is the point that keeps getting avoided or ignored, these comments are all being made AFTER the loss. Prior to the loss, we were being told that this would be a GOP victory and would prove that the GOP would make great gains in the fall. NOW suddenly there are reasons as to why this didn't happen.

    It's the changing the story that is the problem. You can't claim "this will be an important election" and then after you lose pretend you never said that. The GOP never should have made that claim, basically.

  10. #220
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Mark Critz Defeats Tim Burns in Pennsylvania Special Election for Murtha's Seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    A good argument can be made that you are correct. HOWEVER, and this is the point that keeps getting avoided or ignored, these comments are all being made AFTER the loss. Prior to the loss, we were being told that this would be a GOP victory and would prove that the GOP would make great gains in the fall. NOW suddenly there are reasons as to why this didn't happen.

    It's the changing the story that is the problem. You can't claim "this will be an important election" and then after you lose pretend you never said that. The GOP never should have made that claim, basically.



    by whom? I heard some speculation, sure. However we have to look deeper into this.


    Critz was more attractive period. he embodied heck, most of the Tea party principles and was a better canidate than burns....

    almost identical.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •