Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 222

Thread: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    President Barack Obama may end up playing a rather hands-off role in this fall's elections, a surprising turn for a political phenomenon who excited millions of voters just two years ago.

    Recent elections have tarnished Obama's luster a bit, and Democratic candidates are likely to be selective in seeking his help.

    Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania became the fourth Democrat in seven months to lose a high-profile race despite the president's active involvement. Specter's career-ending loss raises questions of whether Obama can transfer even small portions of the political charm that catapulted him to the White House.

    Campaign strategists said Wednesday that many congressional Democrats seeking re-election this year will probably tap Obama to raise money, record ads for black radio stations and perhaps highlight a key issue or two. But some, and perhaps many, will not seek presidential visits, and they will emphasize their own roles on issues such as job-creation.

    Obama's poor endorsement record thus far could hurt his legislative agenda if Democratic lawmakers decide they need some distance from him as they seek re-election in an anti-incumbent, anti-establishment climate. Conversely, it might embolden Republican lawmakers and candidates who oppose him.
    Democrats weigh value of an Obama endorsement - Yahoo! News

    another pair of pretty stories:

    Candidates seeking Murtha seat shun President Obama?s policies - TheHill.com

    Critz ad: 'I opposed the health care bill' - Josh Kraushaar - POLITICO.com

  2. #102
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    Ill post the same thing here i posted in a similar thread

    "Yeah Im not getting the Righties joy in Specter being gone. I mean in reality what that does is now make way for a guy to beat them that is even more left than Specter? Not saying im for this one way or another just saying i dont see what the point is?


    I guess maybe its good they lost a foe that has a name but it only opens up the door to still lose to someone even less on your side?

    Of course if Sestak loses then I guess all is good but that hasnt happened yet?
    Its like they dont get if Sestak wins then they lose even bigger then if specter would have stayed and won?

    I guess when news is bad you turn anything into good news you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    all "pretty" stories but if sestak wins again its meaningless LMAO

    theres still no real logic behind celebrating specters loss until sestak loses also, its not rocket science

    its like this a guy reps didnt like and was 5 on the lefty scale lost to a guy who is a 9. So why would righties be happy about now maybe having there issues decided by a person who is a 9 even FURTHER from their views over a 5 regardless if obama supported the 5? LMAO

    im looking for logic behind the "good news" sounds like fluff to me because quite frankly it is
    I guess it's possible that people could care about something other than the statistical chance that a particular candidate might have of winning or the numerical ranking of how liberal/conservative said candidate might be.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #103
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    obama sure wanted him, obama LOVED him
    I disagree.

    The original courtship which led to the party switch was more a matter of pragmatics for Obama and Spector than "love". Spector thought he had a better chance retaining his seat as a Dem and Obama wanted another vote. Unfortunately for Spector, those pragmatics moved. Spector could not retain his seat and Obama realized Spector would have a much tougher time holding the Dem seat in Penn than Sestak. This is evidenced by the fact the administration distanced themselves from the USS Spector as it was taking in water.

    It appears that Obama is not as much about personal loyalty as he is about pragmatics. Dems and the Obama administration are actually happy with the Pennsylvania results.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 05-20-10 at 02:49 AM.

  4. #104
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Nothing against Specter personally, but I did not like the way he handled things in the political field. He was a flip flopper and a defector. I'm glad to see his ass booted out.
    Vote John Schnatter (Papa John) 2012!

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Dems and the Obama administration are actually happy with the Pennsylvania results.
    nope

    the president's personal imprimatur is poison

    ask coakley, ask corzine

    ask markey, boyd, ross, kratovil...

    and to win in PA vs a REPUBLICAN you have to oppose prominently obamacare, transparently

    actually, to win in west virginia vs a TWENTY EIGHT YEAR veteran DEM you have to oppose health care because of its PUBLIC FUNDING OF ABORTION, as well as cap and trade

    ask oliverio

    why are reg reform, the kerry/graham climate compromise and "comprehensive immigration reform" going nowhere?

    why can't the party of pelosi even put together A BUDGET?

    presidents must be respected, they must be feared

    they must profit where they put their capital

    obama's 0 for 4 and his team can't write a budget

    there ya go

    Next year's budget sinking in deep red ink - The Hill's On The Money
    Last edited by The Prof; 05-20-10 at 04:37 AM.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    Especially with Liberal suckholes like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
    Now, why would you call Pittsburgh and and Philadelphia "liberal suckholes"?

    Pittsburgh's steel built this country and Philadelphia is where freedom started.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Another Clinton impeacher bites the dust. Good riddance.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Blah blah blah <insert partisan rhetoric bull**** here> blah blah blah.


    This thread has fulfilled its purpose.

    I unofficially declare this thread closed
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #109
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I guess it's possible that people could care about something other than the statistical chance that a particular candidate might have of winning or the numerical ranking of how liberal/conservative said candidate might be.
    please stay on topic, never said people might not have other cares LMAO
    Im actually "ASKING" WHAT THEY ARE, wheres the good news, wheres the LOGIC behind celebrating . . . . mabe you werent paying attention

    if you have no answer just say so LOL but my whole point is I dont get it so im asking people their opinion

  10. #110
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Specter rejected by Pa. Dems in bid for 6th term

    So to recap still nothing solid, just hopes and dreams, and empty "pretend" victories LMAO

    oh well i was hoping for some logic

    and by the way I wasnt a specter supporter but no one bother to ask they just ASSumed, I just wanted to know why the fexcitement over NOTHING, "yet"

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •