Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91

Thread: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

  1. #71
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So what you're saying then is that society as a whole, IE the PEOPLE not the GOVERNMENT can not for the most part stop discrimination?

    that it can ONLY be done with the governments help?
    For ****'s sake. This would be easier for you if you could think in something other than absolutes.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Once again making a leap based on preconceptions of liberal thinking.

    I didn't say that.

    If you're going to keep doing this there's no sense even trying to discuss the subject.
    You have yet to prove how the Civil Rights Act prevented discrimination based on race, yet you are giving it the credit of helping end race discrimination.

    It didn't do anything that wasn't already happening.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    For ****'s sake. This would be easier for you if you could think in something other than absolutes.
    Did you not just say this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Discrimination is stopped by society as a whole. It's not acceptable on a personal OR federal level.

    edit: or state or local
    Implying that "society as a whole" for you combines the people and the government as one entity? And therefore means you're saying that it needs both portions to be able to be stopped?

  4. #74
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You have yet to prove how the Civil Rights Act prevented discrimination based on race, yet you are giving it the credit of helping end race discrimination.

    It didn't do anything that wasn't already happening.
    Whatever. I'll play you guys' game.

    So what you're saying, Harry, is that the Civil Rights Act DID NOT DO ANYTHING. You're saying THERE WERE NO CHANGES AT ALL in discrimination ANYWHERE in the ENTIRE country? EVERY bar, restaurant, or deli had ALREADY stopped kicking out black people?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Whatever. I'll play you guys' game.

    So what you're saying, Harry, is that the Civil Rights Act DID NOT DO ANYTHING. You're saying THERE WERE NO CHANGES AT ALL in discrimination ANYWHERE in the ENTIRE country? EVERY bar, restaurant, or deli had ALREADY stopped kicking out black people?
    Instead of kicking them out because of their color, they would do so for other, non race reasons.
    Pretty easy to see.

    Of course by that time, a lot of businesses weren't doing this as widespread as it is played out to be.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Oh, and since its talked about in another thread I won't go into it in a long way here.

    I agree and disagree with Paul.

    I agree with him that for the most part those laws are no longer needed and do more damage to the philosophy and theory of personal property rights than they do good in regards to racism in todays society.

    I disagree with him because I do think, at the time, it was a necessary evil. However, I do not know if I'd disagree with his seeming belief that he wouldn't have voted for it then, in large part because I would figure it'd do as it is now, never seem to go away even after its no longer really useful and is just more bad than good.

  7. #77
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Instead of kicking them out because of their color, they would do so for other, non race reasons.
    Pretty easy to see.

    Of course by that time, a lot of businesses weren't doing this as widespread as it is played out to be.
    Oh well since ending racial discrimination is hard we shouldn't even try, is that what you're saying? Those dang bankers are going to find shady ways to make money no matter what rules we put in place, best not have any rules at all!

    Seriously? That's your stance? That because there will always be some closeted bigots we should just not try and curtail the problem?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #78
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    What a liberal says: "I think racial discrimination is wrong and that it harms people. It should be attacked at every level, government and personal. I think the federal government was right to ban it the way they did. People have a right to their opinion, even if that opinion is "I hate black people." They do not, however, have the right to act on that opinion by banning black people from their business. I think Ron Paul is wrong in his stance, this is a case where property rights do not trump civil rights."

    What a conservative hears: "I think the federal government should do everything for me because only the federal government can do anything right. People are helpless and need to be protected. They can't do anything without the government's help and expect to succeed! Also Rand Paul is basically Hitler."

    This thread makes Zyphlin's accusation of exaggerations about Rand Paul pretty hilarious.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,850

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What a liberal says: "I think racial discrimination is wrong and that it harms people. It should be attacked at every level, government and personal. I think the federal government was right to ban it the way they did. People have a right to their opinion, even if that opinion is "I hate black people." They do not, however, have the right to act on that opinion by banning black people from their business. I think Ron Paul is wrong in his stance, this is a case where property rights do not trump civil rights."

    What a conservative hears: "I think the federal government should do everything for me because only the federal government can do anything right. People are helpless and need to be protected. They can't do anything without the government's help and expect to succeed! Also Rand Paul is basically Hitler."
    Thank you! Well said! Human rights should always come first.

    Edit: Reinserted deleted text. You are right, from this thread, that is exactly what they hear.
    Last edited by Gina; 05-21-10 at 05:33 PM.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rand Paul wins, and libertarians rejoice

    I don't have the problem with living in an absolute world where we (whomever that is; me, you, whatever) decide to "stop discrimination," and we do stop discrimination. Yet we don't; we never will. Ironically, this realization of a fluid world is associated with Conservatives while the accusation of "absolutism" is thrown about. Truthfully, I'm fairly certain absolutism, of any sort, is missing the point. It is why I agree with Conservatives (or Randians) because they understand that we do not live in an absolute world. Even if the government bans discrimination, even in the private sector, you are not actually banning it in any absolute sense. The world is infinitely ambiguous and no government law, nor great awakening of social activism, will ever absolutely do, well, anything to institutionalized racism. The only thing that can purge racism from the body politik is the body politik.

    Until it is purged by cooperation instead of coercion, racism will be around today, tomorrow, and forever--in some ambiguous form or another. Not exactly a, shall we say, afraid of absolute solutions. Rand Paul understands this, and obviously feels that since we cannot "absolutely" do anything, we should at least mitigate it through more unique paths. Instead of looking at discrimination in absolutes (you're a "racist" or you are "progressive) we need to stop repressing our racist tendencies (because we all know they're there) and let people express themselves. In that way, American can finally defeat--not just repress--racial tension.
    Last edited by Areopagitican; 05-21-10 at 05:48 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •