Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 92

Thread: Obama's aunt granted asylum

  1. #71
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Probably the same place that states it's okay for him to sit down and take a ****.
    So chalk that up to "favors are not covered under the Constitution".

    Got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Do you understand what asylum means and why someone would be granted asylum to the US? I'm going to assume that you didn't realize she was seeking asylum from her home country of Kenya.
    Irrelevant - we're talking about favors and was this done by the book. The reasons she's here legally or illegally is a different discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Sure, why not. He's the ****ing president, why should he be bothered with parking tickets? I mean, seriously.
    Thanks - so since some laws don't apply, you won't have a problem with prior or future Presidents and any run-in's with the law. According to you, **** it... they're KING and we're just all lowly serfs or slaves to do their bidding. So you're ignoring the foundation of this country or you're just ignoring it to gain points in a discussion by being obtuse?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #72
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    So chalk that up to "favors are not covered under the Constitution".

    Got it.
    Yup, right there where it says he's allowed to play golf. "Not covered under the Constitution".

    Irrelevant - we're talking about favors and was this done by the book. The reasons she's here legally or illegally is a different discussion.
    Extremely relevant considering what I posted that you responded to. If her life was in danger (as it is with asylum cases), then it would been totally assholish of him NOT to have helped her if he could have.


    Thanks - so since some laws don't apply, you won't have a problem with prior or future Presidents and any run-in's with the law.
    Depends on the law. If it hurts no one, then no I really don't have an issue with it. There are some perks to being president, that's just a given.

  3. #73
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How absolutely low and ridiculous.

    So for months upon months now Rush Limbaugh and others have lambasted and joked, to the roaring approving laughter of fans, how Obama says we should be our "brother's keeper" but that his brother lives in a shack and is in a bad part of the world and why doesn't old Obama be his brother's keeper and help his family member out and get HIM out of poverty.

    So then we have someone related to Obama granted asylum here. We don't know the facts, yet people are already jumping the gun with suggestions, implications, and assumptions that this was all done based on Obama. However, even assuming that's the case, isn't that just doing what Rush and others have essentially been lambasting him for NOT doing with his brother?

    So lets see here...

    If he doesn't help his distant family that don't live here he's being a hypocrite for talking about people needing to be their "brother's keeper" and is worthy of ridicule for not using his resources to help his family out.

    If someone in his distant family actually does make it into America though, we're to assume and imply immedietely that its because of Obama, and if it is the case that it was because of Obama we should lambast and attack him for using his resources to help his family out.

    For the love of christ, this is why hyper partisans always look foolish, because they give up any attempt at individual integrity or insight in exchange for continual attempts at scoring political points. Its actions and attitudes like presented here that make real, legitimate, honest, adult political discourse so difficult in this country.

    His aunt is here. We have no facts of how close he is to his aunt, we have no facts whether he helped her get over here, we don't even know whether it'd be unethical if he DID help her get there. Once we get more information, then maybe we can figure something out.
    Honestly, I'm much more interested in consistency. I'd be willing to bet if it was Bush or some other Republican involved in a similar situation, a lot on the left would be screeching cronyism, abuse of power, etc. etc. And you know what? They could be right. I think this thing smells just a tad, regardless of who did it.

    If he influenced the decision of the immigration court in any way, then that's wrong, just like it would be if it was someone from the other side of the aisle.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #74
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yup, right there where it says he's allowed to play golf. "Not covered under the Constitution".


    Extremely relevant considering what I posted that you responded to. If her life was in danger (as it is with asylum cases), then it would been totally assholish of him NOT to have helped her if he could have.



    Depends on the law. If it hurts no one, then no I really don't have an issue with it. There are some perks to being president, that's just a given.
    Hmm... here's the background on Ms. Onyango


    Quote Originally Posted by NYTimes
    Zeituni Onyango, 57, who lives in public housing in Boston, is the half-sister of Mr. Obama’s late father and is from Kenya. She moved to the United States in 2000 on a valid visa and has been seeking asylum since 2002.

    Judge Leonard Shapiro, an immigration judge in Boston, reached his decision in the long-running case on Friday. Her lawyers announced the decision Monday at their offices in Cleveland.

    Ms. Onyango applied for asylum in 2002 and was rejected in 2004 and ordered to leave the country. She continued to fight the case and in April 2009, Judge Leonard Shapiro in Boston stayed her case until February, when hearings were held in the case.

    Ms. Onyango had lived in relative anonymity in Boston until just before the 2008 presidential election, when The Times of London found her in what it described as “rundown public housing.

    At the time, Mr. Obama’s aides said that he did not know his aunt was in the United States illegally and that “any and all appropriate laws” covering her situation should be followed. The aides said he would not intervene in her case and that the two had had no contact.
    So it seems as though Mr. Obama is the asshole you proport him NOT to be after all. Given she was rejected and Obama claims he didn't know she was even in the United States until 2008 --- sounds as if he didn't know, didn't care or both.

    So I'll say again - let's release the hearing information and let the cards fall where they may. If it's all on the up and up and Obama didn't interfere - the system worked and all is well.

    And the thought that "if it hurts no one" all's fair is a fairly ****ed up world view on your part. Laws are made to be followed and kept - undue influence by a politician including the President is troublesome and in some cases illegal. It's not okay - either laws apply to all or none. This isn't the mafia or some good old boy club where one scratches another's back and the other gives a reach around.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Obama's aunt granted asylum - Washington Times

    Nothing to see here folks. Move along..... move along.
    You know what? Whatever.

    It's his aunt and it's a little old lady in a wheelchair who is seeking asylum from a country that is torn by violence. So what if she's the president's aunt? There's got to be some perks for having the single most stressful job in the world...if he pulls a couple diplomatic strings to get her through the process, by all means, I would, too.

  6. #76
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    So it seems as though Mr. Obama is the asshole you proport him NOT to be after all. Given she was rejected and Obama claims he didn't know she was even in the United States until 2008 --- sounds as if he didn't know, didn't care or both.

    So I'll say again - let's release the hearing information and let the cards fall where they may. If it's all on the up and up and Obama didn't interfere - the system worked and all is well.
    If her life was in danger and he didn't help her when he could have, then yes... he's a total ****ing asshole.

    If however, he did assist her in getting asylum, I have no issue with it.

    And the thought that "if it hurts no one" all's fair is a fairly ****ed up world view on your part. Laws are made to be followed and kept - undue influence by a politician including the President is troublesome and in some cases illegal. It's not okay - either laws apply to all or none. This isn't the mafia or some good old boy club where one scratches another's back and the other gives a reach around.
    Meh. I don't have respect for a law just because it's a law. Some laws are ****ing retarded.

    And in this country, people can, will, and always have been given help by people they know. Nothing wrong with that.

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,271

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Honestly, I'm much more interested in consistency. I'd be willing to bet if it was Bush or some other Republican involved in a similar situation, a lot on the left would be screeching cronyism, abuse of power, etc. etc. And you know what? They could be right. I think this thing smells just a tad, regardless of who did it.

    If he influenced the decision of the immigration court in any way, then that's wrong, just like it would be if it was someone from the other side of the aisle.
    Something like this already happened with Bush, when it came out he got out of going to war because of Cronyism. And yeah, some on the left stupidly bitched and complained about how unfair it was that his daddies friends allowed him to get out of the war...and conservatives and republicans defended it.

    I don't have to think of some magical hypothetical, a similar situation (Well, similar to what's being ASSUMED by some here as if its fact) has occured and a similar reaction didn't come about.

    If immigration courts allow for family members to speak on behalf of those seeking asylum he did nothing wrong IF he did that, which at this time as its JUST breaking we don't know. If he didn't even speak to anyone about it but they happened to do it because they found out she was related to him he did nothing wrong.

    Yes, if Obama broke any laws or forced someone into this that's wrong. To my understanding thus far that has not happened.

    All the people demanding answers, literally within a day or so of this breaking, is ridiculous. We have conservatives bitching and moaning that he's flying to Europe to speak on behalf of a U.S. city for the Olympics because its wasting time (even though nothing says he couldn't be working during the majority of that time) and yet we want him to waste time looking into this situation, releasing information about this, giving press conferences to answer questions on this, etc. Seriously, the consistancy here is non-existance...its just a giant steaming pile of hyper partisan crap that for the most part has no purpose save for trying to score political points cause the guys got a (D) next to his name.

  8. #78
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How absolutely low and ridiculous.

    So for months upon months now Rush Limbaugh and others have lambasted and joked, to the roaring approving laughter of fans, how Obama says we should be our "brother's keeper" but that his brother lives in a shack and is in a bad part of the world and why doesn't old Obama be his brother's keeper and help his family member out and get HIM out of poverty.

    So then we have someone related to Obama granted asylum here. We don't know the facts, yet people are already jumping the gun with suggestions, implications, and assumptions that this was all done based on Obama. However, even assuming that's the case, isn't that just doing what Rush and others have essentially been lambasting him for NOT doing with his brother?

    So lets see here...

    If he doesn't help his distant family that don't live here he's being a hypocrite for talking about people needing to be their "brother's keeper" and is worthy of ridicule for not using his resources to help his family out.

    If someone in his distant family actually does make it into America though, we're to assume and imply immedietely that its because of Obama, and if it is the case that it was because of Obama we should lambast and attack him for using his resources to help his family out.

    For the love of christ, this is why hyper partisans always look foolish, because they give up any attempt at individual integrity or insight in exchange for continual attempts at scoring political points. Its actions and attitudes like presented here that make real, legitimate, honest, adult political discourse so difficult in this country.

    His aunt is here. We have no facts of how close he is to his aunt, we have no facts whether he helped her get over here, we don't even know whether it'd be unethical if he DID help her get there. Once we get more information, then maybe we can figure something out.
    Got it..... it's alright for Barry's Illegal Alien Aunt to sneak into the country, live off the public purse, refuse to leave when told to, but let's get that law breaking Mexican out of the country?

    Hypocrite much?

    Post 42

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...-policy-3.html

    Or is that Barry can do no wrong?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,271

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Got it..... it's alright for Barry's Illegal Alien Aunt to sneak into the country, live off the public purse, refuse to leave when told to, but let's get that law breaking Mexican out of the country?
    Yes, I think she should follow the rule of law.

    Our rule of law allows for judges to make rulings in regards to asylum in cases where someone is fleeing for their life from their home country.

    There is a grave and huge difference between someone breaking the laws, repeatedly, and being deported with no legal leeway to keep them here, and someone that came here illegally...yet made themselves known (through the asylum attempt the first time)...and is now still here because the law, a judge, decided to hear the case and rule in her favor.

    If the judge ruled against her, then hell yes, deport her ass.

    Unlike you apparently, I do not cherry pick when I follow the law. We have asylum rules and standards for a specific reason and if she falls within them then she's within the boundaries of the law. If she didn't I'd absolutely be in favor of her deportation.

    But thanks for reaching, it was entertaining to watch. Next time, perhaps check the premise of your statement and your argument may look less ignorant. Your premise is that somehow I'm an Obama sycophant and think he can "do no wrong". Your premise is flawed, and frankly stupid, and thus why your pathetic attempt at playing "Gotcha" failed. The illegal immigrant in the post you linked to has no legal standing to remain in this country...this woman does.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,522

    Re: Obama's aunt granted asylum

    Halliburton gets one of the largest no-bid contracts awarded to any company by the U.S. government while its former CEO is sitting Vice President and nobody on the right blinks an eye.

    Obama's aunt may or may not have been allowed to stay because Obama pulled some strings and it's cronyism and an 'abuse of the public trust'.

    Americans really do deserve the government we have.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •