Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

  1. #41
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    1. This is a local ordinance in what is apparently a small town, not a state. This is likely to cost VERY little, if anything. You say "large sums of money", but you have been unable to convince me that this action by a small town will have that cost.

    2. This isn't about English speakers. This is about putting in place measures requiring immigrants to learn English and to ensure that all government services are provided in English and only English.

    I would support state laws requiring English for all state documents, including driver's license tests. We know the national government won't do the right thing in this regard.
    I have no idea what money they actually spent, but it has to have some cost. And in a free country, you can't really mandate that. Not only that, historically, people have come here not knowing the language. Historically, their children learned the language.

    This is about prejudice more than anything else. It hurts us in no way to accommodate more than one language. No one is hurt by knowing more than one.

    There is little to nothing right about this movement. It is sheer ethnocentrism and hubris.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #42
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have no idea what money they actually spent, but it has to have some cost. And in a free country, you can't really mandate that. Not only that, historically, people have come here not knowing the language. Historically, their children learned the language.
    You can mandate government services. You can't mandate what private businesses do.

    This is about prejudice more than anything else. It hurts us in no way to accommodate more than one language. No one is hurt by knowing more than one.
    Except the tax dollars spent in providing services in multiple languages. In most instances, it doesn't need to be done. This is not about KNOWING languages. I speak several languages and of course encourage people to learn multiple languages. However, this law is not about the learning of foreign languages by Americans, is it?


    There is little to nothing right about this movement. It is sheer ethnocentrism and hubris.
    Of course, ignoring the fact that most of the countries that these immigrants are coming from have similar or even more stringent language policies.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #43
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You can mandate government services. You can't mandate what private businesses do.
    Government has the same needs business has. While you may do so, it would be ineffective, which is why these rules generally are meaningless. Most often there is a clause that states something to the effect: unless need be. You can't expect people doing the work to be as silly as the general populace.

    Except the tax dollars spent in providing services in multiple languages. In most instances, it doesn't need to be done. This is not about KNOWING languages. I speak several languages and of course encourage people to learn multiple languages. However, this law is not about the learning of foreign languages by Americans, is it?
    Again, they will still be printing the forms, no matter what language. And they will print any they need regardless.


    Of course, ignoring the fact that most of the countries that these immigrants are coming from have similar or even more stringent language policies.
    Also meaningless, not mention kind of a generalization without proper support. But more importantly meaningless.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Should San Antonio, and other Latino cities like it, pass a law to make all government business in Spanish? Should Gary, Indiana pass a law making Ebonics the official language? Should San Francisco pass a law requiring everyone to slur?
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,981

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    i've made a change of heart and i retract my other statements

    honestly i think it was un-necessary for this small town to make english the official language

    new york is close to the canadian province of quebec. what if french speakers go into the city?

    they won't know where to go and it would only make things harder for them. plus spanish speakers deserve to know what things say as well.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Should San Antonio, and other Latino cities like it, pass a law to make all government business in Spanish? Should Gary, Indiana pass a law making Ebonics the official language? Should San Francisco pass a law requiring everyone to slur?



    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Should San Antonio, and other Latino cities like it, pass a law to make all government business in Spanish? Should Gary, Indiana pass a law making Ebonics the official language? Should San Francisco pass a law requiring everyone to slur?
    Are you saying that San Fran has too many drunks?

  8. #48
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    How much spending do you suppose went into passing this local ordinance?
    About the same as is spent every time a town board commemorates a local little league team on an 11-3 season.

    Far less than is spent every time Congress passes a bill doing the same.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #49
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Small New York Town Makes English the Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Should San Antonio, and other Latino cities like it, pass a law to make all government business in Spanish? Should Gary, Indiana pass a law making Ebonics the official language? Should San Francisco pass a law requiring everyone to slur?
    That last one was really good
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •