Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

  1. #21
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    GM repaid their government loan with TARP money.

    "The automaker, however, didn't repay any of the loans from its earnings. Repayments came from "other TARP funds currently held in an escrow account," according to a report by the special inspector general overseeing TARP funds.
    Federal investment"

    "The money in the escrow account was part of the government's equity investment in GM and "was going to be available for future problems with GM," Neil Barofsky, head of the inspector general's office, told Congress last week."

    GM repays federal loan with government money - SFGate
    so? it shows they didn't need to use that tarp money.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #22
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Goof Noodle View Post
    What facts? How did GM repay their loan when they had to borrow tax money in order to repay it? If anything they just refinanced their loan in order to show that they made a profit to the Obama Zombies.
    no, they didn't. are you calling me a zombie?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    well, they will realeasing the volt, which i think will boost sales yet again. the malibu is VERY successful, and with the union taking over healthcare for retirees they are saving a bit. i think they'll be alright.
    The New GM will likely do fine, however, they do not have any publicly traded securities at this time. The old securities (MTLQQ) are basically worthless and no one should be buying them.

  4. #24
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm sorry to have to do this, but...

    GM's Payback A Start, But An End Still Far Off : NPR



    They haven't even started to pay back the $60b they owe.
    they've paid a loan the gov't provided, ahead of schedule. yes, they still owe, and the gov't holds 60% of the stock. i never claimed this was the end of it, but a good start.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #25
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    True, but it's what most people refer to when they mention "paying back bailout money," e.g. the banks repurchasing their warrants over the past year.
    that's not what i was referring to.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #26
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    they will have.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #27
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    so? it shows they didn't need to use that tarp money.
    Yea but think about it like this.

    You loan me $100, I then ask if I can have an additional $100.
    You say yes.

    I then turn around give you the $100 back and apply it to the loan.
    You're still short $100 and I'm positive $100.

    When putting it into perspective, it sounds like insanity.
    Well to me it does.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: GM Posts Nearly $900 Million Profit in 1Q

    Do you know what the sad thing is.

    The sad thing is that, REGARDLESS of political affiliation, a long standing AMERICAN company that was in the dumps turned a really nice profit this year...and this thread can't be about that. The sad thing is we're not sitting here and saying "Awesome, that's great news" and "Wow, maybe its a sign the economy is picking up."

    Why can't we?

    Becasue the OP had to shove in a political talking point with "The loan has been repaid" which is a case of a statement being made that is technically true but is propogated specifically do to the obfuscation surrounding it.

    See, the "loan being paid off" is being bandied about by the media and democrats generally in discussions of money paid to GM, in an attempt to imply that they've "Paid off" what they've been given. After all, in the general...every day...common lexicon of what most Americans think when you think of the government giving someone money you're thinking about a loan. As such, they figure "hey, what we gave to GM is paid off".

    See, those using this talking point are consiously, or subconsiously, playing off the fact that most Americans are not as engaged in politics. They're playing off the fact that by giving only PART of the story, by being factual but not fully transparent, they can dupe people into thinking its far better than what's really there. The hope is that by saying that they convince people that GM is all paid off and good and that all the yelling and screaming by Republicans about all that money we gave them is for naught because they've paid it back.

    In reality however, the loan was a small portion of the total money given to GM. The vast majority of it has not been recouped by the government. Now, will it in time? Possibly, possibly not. We'll have to see. But the HOPE by those spinning this talking point is that either way the American people forget about it because hey the "loan" is paid off and that means for most people that they're all squared away and we don't have any more money tied up in the company.

    Its obfuscation, its decieving through omission, its the type of thing Liberals wailed about for 6 years with regards to Bush when he'd say "Iraq has ties to international terror" while leaving off "but not to Al-Qaeda" and other sort of things where you state something truthful in the hopes of implying something completely false to those without a detailed knowledge of the situation.

    Its sad that that talking point had to get shoved into the OP so that we focus on the innaccuracies and dishonesty of it rather than the good story that is GM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •