Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 101

Thread: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What makes you assume that the people being affected by this are "determined to sexually abuse young children" any more than the average robber/rapist is determined to rob or rape?



    I don't like murderers, muggers or drunk drivers either, but that doesn't mean we should just lock them all up forever and throw away the keys.
    I just believe that anyone would would molest a young child shouldn't be given the opportunity to be let out again. To me it doesn't matter if they can be rehabilited or not - it'd be too risky. Especially since child molestation is a "thrill crime" - people who do that get pleasue from the crime itself. Crimes like mugging and robbing usually have a normal motive (ex. the person needs money). "Thrill killers/rapists" are too risky to be given the chance to be let out IMO.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I just believe that anyone would would molest a young child shouldn't be given the opportunity to be let out again. To me it doesn't matter if they can be rehabilited or not - it'd be too risky. Especially since child molestation is a "thrill crime" - people who do that get pleasue from the crime itself. Crimes like mugging and robbing usually have a normal motive (ex. the person needs money). "Thrill killers/rapists" are too risky to be given the chance to be let out IMO.
    If they shouldn't be let out again, then that should be determined in the courtroom, not by the federal government. If convicted by a jury of their peers and sentenced, then that is the time to determine their punishment. The Feds have no business deciding who should stay in jail beyond their term, without due process. This is a bunch of fascist non-sense, and you are eating it right up. You know why? Because you hate sex offenders. We all do. But don't let that blind you to what is really happening here.

    And anyway, the term "sex offender" is abused these days. You can't even piss in an alley without being called a sex offender in some places.

  3. #83
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I just believe that anyone would would molest a young child shouldn't be given the opportunity to be let out again.
    If that's what you think, the way to go about doing that is to get the legislature to enact harsher sentences for child molestation.

    To me it doesn't matter if they can be rehabilited or not - it'd be too risky. Especially since child molestation is a "thrill crime" - people who do that get pleasue from the crime itself. Crimes like mugging and robbing usually have a normal motive (ex. the person needs money). "Thrill killers/rapists" are too risky to be given the chance to be let out IMO.
    If by "risky" you mean "likely to reoffend," that's actually completely untrue. Look at the recidivism statistics posted earlier - sex offenders are less "risky" than the average criminal.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #84
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I think this is the wrong way to go about this. If jail is not sufficient to rehabilitate these folks, than they probably need to be in a psychiatric facility instead.
    To some degree I would agree but, if the individual is caught and convicted with a smoking gun so to speak I rather see a hangman's noose around the neck of a child rapist or murderer I have no interest in keeping these monsters alive. That said, if these individuals have a lesser offense and convicted I would agree with you but, it is said that these individuals can not be cured for the most part the jury I believe is still out on this(scientific studies that is).

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    To some degree I would agree but, if the individual is caught and convicted with a smoking gun so to speak I rather see a hangman's noose around the neck of a child rapist or murderer I have no interest in keeping these monsters alive. That said, if these individuals have a lesser offense and convicted I would agree with you but, it is said that these individuals can not be cured for the most part the jury I believe is still out on this(scientific studies that is).
    So you believe in murder for a crime of rape? Wow, I think that's a bit extreme. Life in prison without parole, but kill someone when no one else was killed? I will never support that. Why? Because a woman could LOVE brutal sex. There are women who like that. So you're having brutal sex with her, she wants to be beaten and such, you do your deed inside of her, and two hours later she cries rape. Well guess what? The smoking gun is there. Your DNA will be found inside her. The physical evidence is that what happened was brutal. Lots of tissue damage. You think you deserve to be killed for that? What if you're 17 and your girlfriend is 15, and you've been dating for several years. She decides you pissed her off and she cries rape. At that point, you would be a CHILD RAPIST. Think about it, and get back to me. Who you think is gonna believe you when you say she wanted it? Its her word against yours. And it doesn't even have to be brutal, she could have consensual sex and then cry rape. Again, who would a jury believe, you, or this poor girl crying up on the stand saying how she is scared to even be in the same room with you? You need to really get educated on this stuff man.

    It's not about "curing" someone. You can't "therapy" a straight person gay just like you can't "therapy" a pedophile not to be. But just like just about every gay male out there, they aren't out ass screwing in public, they learn to control themselves and that's what pedophiles must learn to do. Now a pedophile and a child molester are not the same thing. It's been proven time and time again that a lot of "child molesters" actually test zero sexual attraction to kids, so that isn't a pedophile. That's a freak, but not a pedo. So many molestations occur and aren't sexual at all. That's why castration rarely helps. The attraction, if it's there, is in the mind, not the penis. It's an act of power, not sex. Therapy involves teaching a sex offender (I will not say pedophile or rapist because by no means do all sex offenders fall under those categories) how to avoid the situation that got them into trouble in the first place. If they find trouble when they drink, then they are taught to stay away from the bottle. If they were abused as children and are lashing out at kids in anger, they are encouraged to get counseling regarding those issues. If a spouse cheated on them and they lash out by raping women, they are taught how to deal with that anger.

    Stats definitely show that offenders who've been through SOTP are less like to reoffend than those who haven't. The jury isn't still out, its definitely in.

    Nobody can be cured if indeed they are a true to god pedophile. But it's not about curing, because there are pedophiles out there you will never know about because most never act out on their desires. So if most can hold back, we can teach the rest to as well.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 06-27-10 at 04:46 PM.

  6. #86
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    So you believe in murder for a crime of rape? Wow, I think that's a bit extreme. Life in prison without parole, but kill someone when no one else was killed? I will never support that. Why? Because a woman could LOVE brutal sex. There are women who like that. So you're having brutal sex with her, she wants to be beaten and such, you do your deed inside of her, and two hours later she cries rape. Well guess what? The smoking gun is there. Your DNA will be found inside her. The physical evidence is that what happened was brutal. Lots of tissue damage. You think you deserve to be killed for that? Think about it, and get back to me. Who you think is gonna believe you when you say she wanted it? Its her word against yours. And it doesn't even have to be brutal, she could have consensual sex and then cry rape. Again, who would a jury believe, you, or this poor lady crying up on the stand saying how she is scared to even be in the same room with you? You need to really get educated on this stuff man.

    It's not about "curing" someone. You can't "therapy" a straight person gay just like you can't "therapy" a pedophile not to be. But just like just about every gay male out there, they aren't out ass screwing in public, they learn to control themselves and that's what pedophiles must learn to do. Now a pedophile and a child molester are not the same thing. It's been proven time and time again that a lot of "child molesters" actually test zero sexual attraction to kids, so that isn't a pedophile. That's a freak, but not a pedo. So many molestations occur and aren't sexual at all. That's why castration rarely helps. The attraction, if it's there, is in the mind, not the penis. It's an act of power, not sex. Therapy involves teaching a sex offender (I will not say pedophile or rapist because by no means do all sex offenders fall under those categories) how to avoid the situation that got them into trouble in the first place. If they find trouble when they drink, then they are taught to stay away from the bottle. If they were abused as children and are lashing out at kids in anger, they are encouraged to get counseling regarding those issues. If a spouse cheated on them and they lash out by raping women, they are taught how to deal with that anger.

    Stats definitely show that offenders who've been through SOTP are less like to reoffend than those who haven't. The jury isn't still out, its definitely in.

    Nobody can be cured if indeed they are a true to god pedophile. But it's about curing, because there are pedophiles out there you will never know about because most never act out on their desires. So if most can hold back, we can teach the rest to as well.
    Strictly talking about child rape or murder in the brutal sense or by strangers, oh BTW this would also include kidnapping of children..by strangers.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Strictly talking about child rape or murder in the brutal sense or by strangers, oh BTW this would also include kidnapping of children..by strangers.
    Oh ok, so you're talking about something that almost never happens as most child disappearances turn out to be runaways, family abductions, lost children, etc.

  8. #88
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Oh ok, so you're talking about something that almost never happens as most child disappearances turn out to be runaways, family abductions, lost children, etc.
    Absolutely, but on the rare occasions when heinous acts such as i stated do occur then i would assume you agree?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Do I agree with what? Murder when murder wasn't committed? Absolutely not. Because there is no way to be absolutely certain of what happened without it being caught on camera. Since there is no guarentee of accuracy of the court system and death is final, I will NEVER support the death penalty in a case where a death didn't result from the crime. Life in prison, yes, but death, no.

  10. #90
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Do I agree with what? Murder when murder wasn't committed? Absolutely not. Because there is no way to be absolutely certain of what happened without it being caught on camera. Since there is no guarentee of accuracy of the court system and death is final, I will NEVER support the death penalty in a case where a death didn't result from the crime. Life in prison, yes, but death, no.
    and that would be your right not to support it, which BTW is fine with me and on the other hand I do support the death penalty for such acts as I stated, whether I am supported or not. Oh BTW I would defend your right and your beliefs till the end, yet I don't expect anything in return for what I believe. I understand my beliefs are loathsome so some, non the less my resolve and beliefs are set.
    Last edited by deltabtry; 06-27-10 at 07:03 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •