Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    Iran inked a nuclear-fuel swap deal Monday that commits it to ship 1,200 kilograms of low-enriched uranium to Turkey, potentially ending a standoff with world powers gearing up for new sanctions against the Islamic republic.

    The agreement, under which Iran will in return receive nuclear fuel for a Tehran reactor, was signed in the Iranian capital between the foreign ministers of Iran, Turkey and Brazil, an Agence France-Presse correspondent said.
    Not only is this proof of Turkey's effective foreign policy and influence in the region, but the diplomatic efforts of the Kemalist state has both potentialy ended a huge West/East rift and has also shown world powers it is far more effective in the region than anybody else. This is true sentiment to Turkey's power and diplomatic language. I applaud you AKP although i hate to admit it.

    Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

    This is a new era for Turkey and Brazil. It goes to show that giving diplomacy a second chance hurt nobody.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 05-17-10 at 08:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    Israel has legitemate concerns that it will not pull through with the deal, and insists thatr Turkey and Brazil have been manipulated by Iran. Lets hope for the sake of the international community they are wrong!

  3. #3
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    I am glad to see that Turkey is stepping up and trying to keep the peace in the region. I wouldn't start throwing the party in the uranium is physically within Turkish borders, but its a good sign nonetheless.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Virtues of Diplomacy: Iran to send Uranium to Turkey

    While Turkey deserves credit, there is a major problem with the deal. At the time the international community offered the deal during Autumn 2009, the 1200 kg of low-enriched uranium accounted for two-thirds of Iran's stockpile. Hence, the amount that would have been sent overseas would have limited Iran's ability to use its low-enriched uranium for illicit purposes. Since that time, Iran has added to its stockpile of low-enriched uranium. Hence, to be effective, the deal would need to require a larger amount to be exported.

    Although I cannot predict how the international community will react to the terms of Iran's agreement with Turkey, I don't believe the international community should accept the deal as it currently stands. If Iran is serious about addressing the issues concerning its nuclear program, it needs to increase the amount of low-enriched uranium it would export. Otherwise, it may well be seeking to exploit the advantages it gained from its production of additional low-enriched uranium to circumvent the entire purpose of the export proposal that was initially offered.

    Whether an "Iran-fatigued" international community will yield on that matter remains to be seen. I hope it won't.

  5. #5
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Virtues of Diplomacy: Iran to send Uranium to Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    While Turkey deserves credit, there is a major problem with the deal. At the time the international community offered the deal during Autumn 2009, the 1200 kg of low-enriched uranium accounted for two-thirds of Iran's stockpile. Hence, the amount that would have been sent overseas would have limited Iran's ability to use its low-enriched uranium for illicit purposes. Since that time, Iran has added to its stockpile of low-enriched uranium. Hence, to be effective, the deal would need to require a larger amount to be exported.

    Although I cannot predict how the international community will react to the terms of Iran's agreement with Turkey, I don't believe the international community should accept the deal as it currently stands. If Iran is serious about addressing the issues concerning its nuclear program, it needs to increase the amount of low-enriched uranium it would export. Otherwise, it may well be seeking to exploit the advantages it gained from its production of additional low-enriched uranium to circumvent the entire purpose of the export proposal that was initially offered.

    Whether an "Iran-fatigued" international community will yield on that matter remains to be seen. I hope it won't.
    Very interesting post don. I am as you are very curious about the reaction from the international community, especially Obama.

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-13 @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,932

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    Erdogan and kemalism, help me out here!?!

  7. #7
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by Djoop View Post
    Erdogan and kemalism, help me out here!?!
    Lool, what do you need help with? Don't you know what Kemalism is?

  8. #8
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-13 @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,932

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Lool, what do you need help with? Don't you know what Kemalism is?
    I'll be the first to admit I didn't before I came to this forum. But I thought Kemalists support the CHP, not the AKP..., that's where I need some help.

  9. #9
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by Djoop View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I didn't before I came to this forum. But I thought Kemalists support the CHP, not the AKP..., that's where I need some help.
    Lol. Ok, im gonna give you a quick history lesson sorry if i bore you.

    Ottoman Empire collapsed invaded by European powers, nationalist Ataturk:



    lead armed forces and retook Turkey, established Republic, removed caliphate, modernized both politics, economics and introduced social reforms. Turkey became leader of women rights and first fully fledged Western Muslim Majority nation.

    Kemalism is secularism but is unique when compared to Western secularism in the idea that Kemalism was based on 6 main points:

    - Republicanism

    - Populism

    - Secularism

    - Politics and religion

    The Kemalist form of separation of state and religion pursued the replacement of a complete set of institutions, interest groups (such as political parties, unions, lobby groups), the relationships between those institutions and the political norms and rules that govern their functions (constitution, election law).

    - State and religion

    According to the Kemalist perception, the Turkish state is to stand at an equal distance from every religion, neither promoting nor condemning any set of religious beliefs

    - Revolutionism

    - Nationalism


    "Sovereignty belongs, without any restrictions or conditions, to the nation" is embossed behind the speaker's seat at the Grand National Assembly
    Nationalism (Turkish: Ulusçuluk): The Kemalist revolution aimed to create a nation state (Turkish: Ulus) from the Turkish remnants of the Ottoman Empire. The meaning of Turkishness (Turkish: Türküm) is frequently misunderstood by those who fail to realize that it is not a description of ethnicity [the Turkic ethnicity] but a commitment to an 'imagined' nationhood of people living within the National Pact (Turkish: Misak-ı Milli) borders.[7] "Turkishness" (citizenship of Turkey) is the cornerstone of the Republic of Turkey.[7] Kemalist ideology defines the "Turkish People" as "those who protect and promote the moral, spiritual, cultural and humanistic values of the Turkish Nation."

    The "six arrows" is symbolic of these core Kemalist beliefs:



    This is the CHP's logo.

    The AKP is a political party with Islamic roots and agenda's and is an authoritarian monstrosity.

    Kemalists, or at least any true kemalists, sure as hell do not support AKP!

  10. #10
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    re: Iran inks deal to send low enriched uranium to Turkey

    EDIT: It's OK that you didnt know about this before coming to DP. American's are actually pretty surprised how little they know about how alot of European countries came to be established. Have you ever heard of Cyprus? I know many Americans have never heard of Cyprus before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •