Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

  1. #31
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Because it is an ecological disaster.
    Yes it is, and BP has the primary responsibility for it
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Yes it is, and BP has the primary responsibility for it
    No, it exceeds their responsibility. FEMA should pay.

  3. #33
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    No, it exceeds their responsibility. FEMA should pay.
    It was BP's faulty equipment and ignoring safety protocols that was the major contributor to causing the accident, why should FEMA pay?
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  4. #34
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Please explain why BP should foot the bill? My understanding is that a third party set the blowout protector (is that the right name for it?) that failed. Furthermore, the damage being done exceeds the potential profits they could have had. I think the government should pay for the disaster, with some limited charges to BP. If BP has to pay the whole bill, then potential costs may make drilling unaffordable from an insurance standpoint. We want to encourage safe drilling, right?

    I understand where you are coming from here, however, maybe the costs can be shared by all responsible parties. My saying that BP should foot the bill for the clean up is rooted in the fact that whom ever BP hires to install fail safes or any other piece of equipment it is up to them to make sure that these things work.

    for instance, if you buy a house from a developer, and the electrical was improperly installed, later causing a fire that burned down the house. Sure you would go after the electrical contractor right? But, you would also go after the developer because the onus through inspection is also on him to make sure the work is done right.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #35
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    It was BP's faulty equipment and ignoring safety protocols that was the major contributor to causing the accident, why should FEMA pay?

    Maybe I am behind, what is the safety protocol that was ignored?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #36
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Maybe I am behind, what is the safety protocol that was ignored?


    j-mac
    http://energycommerce.house.gov/Pres...05.12.2010.pdf

    "Second, we learned that the blowout preventer had been modified in unexpected ways. One of these modifications was potentially significant. The blowout preventer has an underwater control panel. BP spent a day trying to use this control panel to activate a variable bore ram on the blowout preventer that is designed to seal tight around any pipe in the well. When they investigated why their attempts failed to activate the bore ram, they learned that the device had been modified. A useless test ram – not the variable bore ram – had been connected to the socket that was supposed to activate the variable bore ram. An entire day’s worth of precious time had been spent engaging rams that closed the wrong way.

    BP told us the modifications on the BOP were extensive. After the accident, they asked Transocean for drawings of the blowout preventer. Because of the modifications, the drawings they received didn’t match the structure on the ocean floor. BP said they wasted many hours figuring this out.
    "


    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Please explain why BP should foot the bill?
    It was their equipment that caused the accident.

    My understanding is that a third party set the blowout protector (is that the right name for it?) that failed.
    It was BP's responsibility to ensure what they bought and used worked properly. Either they did that and they missed this problem (which isnt true because we know they modified the device) or they didnt check it and are liable.

    Furthermore, the damage being done exceeds the potential profits they could have had.
    Too bad.

    I think the government should pay for the disaster, with some limited charges to BP. If BP has to pay the whole bill, then potential costs may make drilling unaffordable from an insurance standpoint. We want to encourage safe drilling, right?
    Other companies can avoid insurance hikes by ensuring their equipment is functioning properly
    Last edited by Hoplite; 05-16-10 at 03:33 PM.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    It was BP's faulty equipment and ignoring safety protocols that was the major contributor to causing the accident, why should FEMA pay?
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I understand where you are coming from here, however, maybe the costs can be shared by all responsible parties. My saying that BP should foot the bill for the clean up is rooted in the fact that whom ever BP hires to install fail safes or any other piece of equipment it is up to them to make sure that these things work.

    for instance, if you buy a house from a developer, and the electrical was improperly installed, later causing a fire that burned down the house. Sure you would go after the electrical contractor right? But, you would also go after the developer because the onus through inspection is also on him to make sure the work is done right.


    j-mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    It was their equipment that caused the accident.

    It was BP's responsibility to ensure what they bought and used worked properly. Either they did that and they missed this problem (which isnt true because we know they modified the device) or they didnt check it and are liable.

    Too bad.

    Other companies can avoid insurance hikes by ensuring their equipment is functioning properly
    I understand what you all are saying. My reasoning is that due to the size and scope of the disaster, and to protect the industry from exorbitant insurance costs to protect them from having to pay in such a disaster, the federal government needs to foot the bill for the majority of this disaster.

    I would be okay with charging BP and friends a percentage of revenues to go into a government disaster fund.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Models are nice and comforting. Let's wait until the disaster is contained on the sea bed and there is a proper damage assessment before we jump to conclusions.

  9. #39
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Well, we'll just have to wait and see.
    Absolutely.

    Nothing in that article is inconsistent with the one I posted.
    Except for what was inconsistent. Your article quoted one person, who worked for NOAA, and conveniently left out his comments that NOAA was not capable of following the oil flow which Huff did include.

    Why am I not surprised that HuffPost spins it in the most dramatic fashion possible, or that you are eager to eat it up?
    Possibly because you rightees always choose to only believe what fits your desired outcome. It's always funny watching your kind claim that a quote from a scientist is simply because it doesn't support your position. What he said up to a point was fine, until he said something you didn't like.

    Oh, well as long as it's got the ADK_Forever mathematical seal of approval, I guess you're right.
    That was really just a simple concept. The fact that you can't agree with it, that you have to use a personal attack to try to discredit simple math shows the weakness of your argument.

    Because I found it interesting? Because it's a nice counterpoint to the OH NOES WE GON DIE!!!! angle being hyped by people like ADK_Forever?
    That's not my "angle" at all and you know it. I guess it's beyond you to simply argue or discuss a point without personal attacks, ehh
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  10. #40
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Where's the oil? Model suggests much may be gone

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I understand what you all are saying. My reasoning is that due to the size and scope of the disaster, and to protect the industry from exorbitant insurance costs to protect them from having to pay in such a disaster, the federal government needs to foot the bill for the majority of this disaster.

    I would be okay with charging BP and friends a percentage of revenues to go into a government disaster fund.

    Ultimately they will, and that will be the catalyst for Obama to gain control of the oil industry just like he did to the banks.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •