Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 305

Thread: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

  1. #221
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law Zyph said to cut out the personal attacks. He meant it. Handing out threadbans is my business and business is good.
    Turning in a nice profit, I hope....
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #222
    Educator TBone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix
    Last Seen
    04-01-15 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    673

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The word "moved" was used repeatedly. I was merely pointing out the inaccuracy of using that word. I am not a member of the GOP (full disclosure -- I once was a card carrying GOP member and ran for a local office on the GOP banner but left the party eight years ago), but I believe that Tampa was the right decision and that conclusion has NOTHING to do with the Arizona law problem. The other two proposed sites are pretty solidly in the GOP column. Florida is a slight GOP lean, but only slight, and the GOP needs that state to have a reasonable chance of winning the presidential election. The thinking going on is that such a high profile meeting in the state will lift the profile of the party. I am not sure I buy it, I don't know how many people change their vote based on the location of the party convention, but I understand the rationale from the GOP perspective.



    I don't even have access to any of them from my current location. Even when I did and did from time to time listen to them, I would find that I disagreed with them from time to time as well. I think for myself. I have on more than one occassion criticized GOP members of this forum and GOP politicians.



    Actually, I think it is correct to observe how this works in Arizona before adopting similar legislation. It is called being intelligent... I know intelligence is somethign we don't consider our politicians as having, but I know from experience that there are many intelligent legislators on both sides of the political aisle. Also, there is only one other GOP-border state on the southern border (Texas). I certainly hope they are looking at the implementation of this law and will consider similar legislation if this turns out to be at least somewhat effective.



    I don't believe Arizonans were bigots. They were unfortunately cast in a bad light unfairly. I was also against the MLK holiday, but that does not make me a bigot. I was also a strong supporter of the New Hampshire compromise, but our state was also cast as being bigoted despite the fact that our old holiday observance was MORE inclusive than the MLK holiday is.



    The illegal immigration laws were passed by the federal government. The state government of Arizona is merely passing laws to implement and enforce laws that are already on the books. In the absence of such enforcement from the national government, I support efforts from the states to do this...
    Thanks for explaining. I take my hat off to you, and respect your observations. Good to hear how someone reasons on a subject without emotion. Wish I could do this more often, because I obviously have let this issue boil my blood. My distain is not with the law as much as the fact that the federal gov't gets another get out of jail free card. Arizona, who going broke, has to foot the bill to enforce this law, e.g. housing and prosecuting illegals. Not to mention, we are getting boycotted, when we need the money.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
    Emiliano Zapata


  3. #223
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    All Right! Two different threads, and two copy and paste jobs....Who are you deriving this simplistic talking point from? DailyKos? DemoUnderground?


    j-mac
    No...I came up with it myself. Something that those on the right seem incapale of.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #224
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No...I came up with it myself. Something that those on the right seem incapale of.
    Wow... the liberals once again resorting to personal attacks. This is the second I have seen on this thread since logging on... Hopefully, the Mods are keeping a close eye on this.

    Why can't we discuss without the personal slights and insults?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #225
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Wow... the liberals once again resorting to personal attacks. This is the second I have seen on this thread since logging on... Hopefully, the Mods are keeping a close eye on this.

    Why can't we discuss without the personal slights and insults?
    Perhaps you are feeling a little "attacked" because you know the answer to the question.

    You people claim "illegals" are coming in an stealing Americans jobs and that brown people are the main source of all your economic problems.

    You claim that the Arizona law is working because brown people are leaving Arizona and afraid to go out to seek work.

    If everything that you say is true....where are the masses of the unemployed able bodied Americans wanting to take those jobs? Have we seen them rushing down to stand outside Home Depot to take those jobs that the "illegals" had stolen from them or the migrant farm jobs that they so desperately wanted to have that the "illegals" took?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #226
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Forget it, it ain't worth the ban!


    j-mac
    Last edited by j-mac; 05-16-10 at 12:10 PM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #227
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Perhaps you are feeling a little "attacked" because you know the answer to the question.

    You people claim "illegals" are coming in an stealing Americans jobs and that brown people are the main source of all your economic problems.

    You claim that the Arizona law is working because brown people are leaving Arizona and afraid to go out to seek work.

    If everything that you say is true....where are the masses of the unemployed able bodied Americans wanting to take those jobs? Have we seen them rushing down to stand outside Home Depot to take those jobs that the "illegals" had stolen from them or the migrant farm jobs that they so desperately wanted to have that the "illegals" took?
    This is just terrible, terrible logic and belies a total lack of understanding of economics. Are you really arguing that the only way this law will have any impact is if US citizens start massing outside home depot, looking to build decks for $50/day? It's a bit more complex than that.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #228
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    My own city is making me puke. This is a city that feels the pinch because of illegal immigration probably even moreso than Arizona, and we're going to boycott a city that is doing something about it? Shame on my city council. They've run this city to the ground. We're about to go bankrupt and they're going to lecture Arizona about morality?
    Perhaps Arizona should round up all the illegals aliens in Arizona and else where and drop them off at the California state line and inform them of it's sanctuary status.

  9. #229
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Perhaps Arizona should round up all the illegals aliens in Arizona and else where and drop them off at the California state line and inform them of it's sanctuary status.
    Then this city would go bankrupt even faster. Do it. I'm tired of this ignorant city council.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #230
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This is just terrible, terrible logic and belies a total lack of understanding of economics. Are you really arguing that the only way this law will have any impact is if US citizens start massing outside home depot, looking to build decks for $50/day? It's a bit more complex than that.
    No...what I am saying is that the rationale for WHY we need to deport all undocumented workers is flawed.

    People complain about the brown-skin people coming in and stealing American jobs.

    If this is true....where are all those unemployed workers that wanted those jobs that are no longer being taken by the "illegals"?

    I'll give you a hint....probably still sitting in their underwear on their couch, because they really didn't want the job in the first place.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •